First-timer - Liking it so far!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

First-timer - Liking it so far!

Postby GMegerator on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Hello all!

So, I just switched up my old Dell Inspiron 8200 from XP to Mint! I like it.
It took a couple days of reading around, I had no idea where to start, but I knew i wanted to see what the penguin fuss was all about. Took alot of random web surfing, and I eventually tried LiveCDs of Ubuntu 10.4.1 a day after the update release, then tried a Live Kubuntu, and then Mint. So far Mint seems to be the best fit and platform for my style and interface goals. ...however I'm thinking the wife might really like Kubuntu on her laptop... :wink:
GMegerator
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: First-timer - Liking it so far!

Postby BubbaBlues on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:33 pm

...however I'm thinking the wife might really like Kubuntu on her laptop...

I would highly recommend Mint KDE rather than kubuntu. It has a lot of essentials pre-installed that you'll have to search for with kubuntu. And Mint works better!

That being said, Welcome aboard! The more you use it, the more you're come to appreciate it! 8)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Postby caf4926 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 pm

Enjoy, it's a great release.
Once you install the restricted extras, you'll be away
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Oscar799 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:06 am

Hello GMegerator
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> viewtopic.php?f=60&p=302358#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby GMegerator on Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:09 pm

I will have to check out the KDE mint distro!

I'm quite new to this and trying to learn as quickly as i can, so please bare with any rudimentary questions I may ask. Linux is definately quite different from anything I have previously experienced, still trying to get all the hardware working correctly
GMegerator
Level 1
Level 1

Postby craig10x on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:41 pm

GMegerator wrote:I will have to check out the KDE mint distro!

I'm quite new to this and trying to learn as quickly as i can, so please bare with any rudimentary questions I may ask. Linux is definately quite different from anything I have previously experienced, still trying to get all the hardware working correctly

Do definately check out Mint 9 KDE ("boo" from australia is then one that heads up that version) does a wonderful job on Kubuntu 10.04...he puts a lot of "love and polish" into it...If you look at live cds of the two i think i know which one you will pick for your wife :wink:

In fact, today just for a lark, i ran a live cd of Kubuntu 10.04 and it really made me appreciate how much he does to it for Mint 9 KDE... :)
This coming from a guy that always ran gnome...wasn't fond of kde (actually especially after looking at kubuntu) but is now "hooked" on the KDE version of Mint...
craig10x
Level 6
Level 6

Postby BubbaBlues on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:17 pm

No comparison (IMO) with either the distro or the quality and friendliness of the forum. Whether you choose green or blue, the quality of Mint shows.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Postby axel668 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:52 am

BubbaBlues wrote:No comparison (IMO) with either the distro or the quality and friendliness of the forum. Whether you choose green or blue, the quality of Mint shows.

Welcome home, then :)
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)
axel668
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jesica on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:58 am

welcome :mrgreen:
jesica
Level 8
Level 8

Postby GMegerator on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:13 pm

thank for the tip bubbablues! tried mint kde and yeah, we both like it very much.

I've been trying to get Compiz going and the cube, i think i missed a few steps but i'll figure it out eventually i'm sure.

Would compiz enable me to output from my s-video port and set up a television as a second monitor? That's the current goal.

Also, probably since my ~6 year old laptop's ram is a little anemic, video playback is a little glitchy once sized larger than your standard youtube display size, would LXDE be a helpful step toward getting this dell laptop to output a smoother full-screen video stream?

...and I had some free time at work the other day so I made a sticker: :mrgreen:
GMegerator
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tdockery97 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Welcome to the Mint Community.
Mint 16 Cinnamon
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby BubbaBlues on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:36 pm

Go to system settings, then Desktop/Desktop Effects. Check "enable desktop effects. Then open the "all effects" tab and there you can enable the desktop cube. KDE has compositing built in and so you don't need compiz.
As for the video stuff, I'm not sure how to help ya. I'm pretty sure KDE requires more ram than lxde or even gnome, so the older laptop would indeed run better with one of those.
- Albert Einstein
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Introduce yourself