Problems with Updating

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Problems with Updating

Postby MerkabaRider on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Hello there everyone. I just made the jump from a dual-boot system to full-on Linux and it seems that Mint is the right one for Me. After days of toying around with other distros to no success I reinstalled Linux Mint on my entire hard drive.

After installing all the programs that I wanted, I tried to run updates. My system got hung up on the Applying Changes stage. After four hours with no progress I could no longer stay at the building I was at (at another office) and I had to close My laptop and go home.

Now I've tried to go back and just install a few updates at a time and I got this message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Could someone please help me with this?

Do I have to type this into the terminal?

I've been doing a lot of studying and learning about Linux, but I have yet to use the terminal. I certainly don't want to mess anything up and have to reinstall all over again.

Thanks for the help!
MerkabaRider
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problems with Updating

Postby Aging Technogeek on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:35 pm

For the first error message the solution is to open a terminal and type in

Code: Select all
 sudo dpkg --configure -a

exactly as shown (just the green part) ( you might want to copy and paste it into the terminal), then press enter. You will be asked for your password. Just type it in.

In terminal there is no indication (dots, stars, etc) that you are entering your password. If you enter it correctly, the command runs. If you goof up your password, you will be informed of an error and asked to re-enter your password.

As for the second error message, I have never seen that one and have no knowledge of the proper response. Someone who knows what to do will (hopefully) be along before too long and we both will learn something new.

It is possible that correcting the first problem will correct the second one also. In any case, post back with your progress.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Problems with Updating

Postby jesica on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:46 am

good day

enjoy the stay

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Introduce yourself