Hello there.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Hello there.

Postby soreil on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:09 pm

This would've been my first post if the LMDE Desktop thread didn't steal away my attention. I have been using Mint for about 4 months now and finally decided to get a little bit more involved in the community behind it. I first started using the GNU/Linux operating system in late 2009 when my interest in computers had outgrown only the hardware side and software became more interesting to me. I first installed Debian which I failed horribly at(couldn't recognize HDDs). A few weeks later I decided I wanted to try it again, I got myself a cheap Netbook and installed Ubuntu on it. I loved it instantly(hey it had XP on it when I started) especially the fact that I had so much freedom in doing whatever I wanted. I tried out A LOT of different distros in the months following that and eventually ended using Mint 9 which I am still running on that tiny Netbook. Because of my good experiences with Mint 9 and the fact that I wanted to get rid of Windows on my desktop I started looking for a desktop operating system that would fit my needs. I always since day 1 liked the idea of Debian and when I started to read about Mint based on Debian I was immediately interested. I have only been using this for about 24 hours now but already love it, especially the fact that it is so much like the main edition.

Well that is how I ended up here. The main things I do these days luckily all have great GNU/Linux versions many of which are unrivaled in other operating systems imo (Comix for my manga, Mplayer for movies etc etc). This is barely an introduction of myself a person but lets keep it to this : just google Otaku.
LMDE rig : Phenom II 955 @4GHz - HD5870 -120GB Vertex 2 - 40GB Intel X25-V - 1TB Spinpoint F1 - 4GB RAM - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - And a Megahalems to keep that 955 cool.
Netbook(LM9): N110 with a 120GB Vertex 2
soreil
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hello there.

Postby dawgdoc on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Welcome to the LM community soreil, both the LMDE and Ubuntu based sides.

Like you I just started with LMDE this week on my laptop and am still in the process of configuring it to be similar to my LM9 install. I have been using LM for just under 2 years on my laptop, my primary machine. 2 months ago I installed LM9 Gnome to my desktop, which I rarely use.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 13 Gnome x32 PAE, LMDE
READING: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Postby tdockery97 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Welcome soreil. I think the more you use LMDE the more you will like it.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Oscar799 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Hello soreil
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> viewtopic.php?f=60&p=302358#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat,you'll have to join #linuxmint-debian manually from there.
Have fun with Mint
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby jesica on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Welcome to the forum

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Introduce yourself