new linux user

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

new linux user

Postby phaelax on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:04 pm

My last experience with Linux was with RedHat server 2.something, so it's been awhile. I've tried Ubuntu in the past but just couldn't seem to get it installed on my hardware. I recently acquired Dell laptop and and came across a blog where someone made a comment about using Mint. I looked up this "Mint" and found this website, downloaded the torrent and the installation was smoother than installing Windows. Very nice. Only thing that gave me trouble was the wifi card, which wouldn't have been any issue at all if I was familiar with how to turn on the driver. My first reaction was thinking how similar the desktop felt like Windows. I'm still learning how to use everything such as the app manager. So far, my experience has a pleasant one.

As for my background, I've been primarily a Windows user since 3.1 was released and an Amiga nerd before that. I did buy my first PowerBook about 4-5 years ago and only stopped using it recently when the monitor began to go out.

Oh, and I also like long walks on the beach and romantic candle-lit dinners.

p.s. Any thoughts on tri-booting Win7, Mint, and a hackintosh install? (probably a better question for the insanelyMac crowd)
phaelax
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: new linux user

Postby tdockery97 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi phaelax, and welcome to the Linux Mint community.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Oscar799 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:46 am

Hello phaelax,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> viewtopic.php?f=60&p=302358#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
I'm posting this from a machine dual- booted with Mint9 and LMDE,I have another machine dual-booting Mint 9 with Crunchbang Statler so I know from experience dual - booting Linux distros works well,I have no experience of dual-booting with Windows but there is a lot of information online about that.
Have fun with Mint
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby jesica on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:04 am

welcome to Mint
jesica

Return to Introduce yourself