Just realized I never posted a "real" introduction...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ImaginaryFriend

Just realized I never posted a "real" introduction...

Post by ImaginaryFriend »

I don't think my Dear John letter to Ubuntu counts as an actual introduction, since it consists mostly of my attempt to make with teh funneh about my switch from one of my favorite OSs to one I like even more. And I totally neglected a chance to talk about me, me, me! Unlike me at all. So here goes.

My name is Rob, and I'm a speculative fiction writer, a webcomicer, a martial artist, a web geek, and burden on society. Ubuntu converted me to full-time Linux, and Mint won me away with Julia RC--I'll be making the actual switch the day of Julia's final release, but am considering LMDE after it has matured a bit.

I like cultural anthropology, Science Fiction, the sciences in general (my library includes Hawking, Feynman, and Kaku, among others), old fashioned paper-pencil-and-dice RPGs, and turn-based strategy games like Battle For Wesnoth and the Civ series. Thanks to my wife, I'm also becoming a Hockey fan (Go, Flyers!), a console Gamer (So far I've only played DragonQuest VIII and Persona 3, but I'm getting addicted.), and an anime/manga fan. (Serial Experiment Lane rocks.)

I've been (professionally) a soldier, a comedian, a webcomicer (the comic is on indefinite hiatus, though), an tabletop/LARP RPG developer (that was only semi-pro), a rock singer, a web columnist for the local paper, a webmonkey, a construction worker, a help line call center supervisor, a disk jockey/video jockey, manager of a sound, lighting, and SPFX company, and a food service worker, among other things. In other words, I've been semi-successful at a wide range of careers before crashing and burning at them. Contrary to popular belief, though, I have never been a deep-space mercenery.
:-D

I am currently a starving writer living with my gorgeous wife Shannon, an incredible artist with five years of fine arts and graphic design school under her belt. (I've no idea how they fit there.) Rumors of a romantic entanglement between myself, our cockatiel Sachi, and our two parakeets (Little Bird and Ayame) are a total fabrication. I mean, if nothing else, just imagine the physics and biology involved. Sheesh! Darn rumors.

I also run a small web host, which shall remain nameless lest I violate spam rules. It's more a hobby than a business, really--It doesn't even break even--and work part-time security for the University of Kansas.

In addition to all of the above, I help out with hosting and web geekery for AboutSF, a joint project of the University of Kansas, The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, and The Science Fiction Research Association.

Oh, and I'm old. I mean, really, really old. Like my name should probably be Oldy-Old McOldster. I'm a grandfather at 47 with three grown boys, making my 28-year-old wife a step-grandmother, as well as step-mother to my kids--one of whom is only four years younger than she is. (Since she's a ninjutsu stylist, my youngest refers to her as his "step-ninja.")

On the kinda down side, I have bipolar disorder and ADD, a head injury that affects my memory to various degrees depending on the day, and a spine injury that--among other things--decreases the mobility of my right arm--glad I can still usually type. I mention these not for sympathy, but because I believe that the only way to remove the stigma/pity reaction regarding such things is for those of us who deal with them to be open and matter-of-fact about them just as one would be open about having asthma or acid reflux. And it ain't all bad. For one thing, if I make a social faux pas, I can always claim it was because of the pain medication. And if I wax a little too verbose, like now, I can always blame it on being slightly manic--Which is... Um, kinda true right now. Heh!
:-D

So, anyway, hi, guys! You've already made me feel welcome in the Mint community, and I hope to get to know some of you better.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Just realized I never posted a "real" introduction...

Post by tdockery97 »

Fascinating story Rob. I wish I had done half of what you do. I'm just a run-of-the-mill retired Navy guy who has at least some of the same interests (scifi, science, etc.). Sounds like you'll definitely be a fun guy to have around. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
jesica

Post by jesica »

Welcome to the forum
ImaginaryFriend

Post by ImaginaryFriend »

tdockery97 wrote:Fascinating story Rob. I wish I had done half of what you do. I'm just a run-of-the-mill retired Navy guy who has at least some of the same interests (scifi, science, etc.). Sounds like you'll definitely be a fun guy to have around. :D
Thank you, sir, and good to (virtually) meet you!

We old servicemen have to stick together, you know. Metaphorically speaking, that is--not in the "Help! Superglue malfunction," or conjoined twin way. 'Cause that'd just be weird. (No offence to any conjoined twins or Superglue aficionados out there--It'd just be odd for me after more than four decades of going to the bathroom by myself.)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”