Greeting from Maine, US!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GeneC

Greeting from Maine, US!

Post by GeneC »

I have been lurking around this forum for months since I first installed Mint9 last July. Thought it was time to say HI! :D and thank all that replied to my newbie questions, and for all that I have learned here in the past months. I spend a couple hours here every day reading, and learning. I have learned a lot and its been a fun trip. Thanks to all involved with the Mint project, and all that contribute here.

Why am I using Mint? Probably for the same reason as lots of folks. Just tired of Windows viruses. After, yet another malware attack last summer I asked a computer savvy friend of mine what he thought about me buying a new Mac computer. He told me they were good, but way overpriced and that he personally used Linux Mint, and no other software, and that it runs on PC’s and is Unix based. He sent me a CD of Mint 9 that he burned (I had never burned an .ISO CD ) :oops: , and so the pleasant journey started. I am now a Mint devotee, and totally won over. So much so, if fact, that I bought a new computer just to run Mint. I have about 15 Cd’s/DVD’s of various distros that I downloaded and burned. (I am learning :D ) But keep coming back to Mint 10 as my favorite. It so easy to use that I was surprised.

I read of some folks problems with Mint and Linux in general, and have to say that I have had no bad experiences. All hardware is recognized, the Nvidia driver works perfectly. Thanks to the very skilled team that put it together.. Its a totally SWEET operating system.

About myself. I am just retired (an old fart). I was a CAD drafter for many years. Running Autocad, Autodesk Inventor, and Solidworks to name a few mostly on Windows XP. I have found some CAD programs for Linux that look nice, and will give them a try. These days I just mostly use the computer for the internet, and boy how browsers and the internet have changed since the early 90‘s and Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.2 and Netscape Navigator...lol.

Glad to be a part of this community.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Greeting from Maine, US!

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Welcome to the family Gene. Hope your Mint experience is always as positive as it has been so far. When you are looking for advice or looking to give advice, don't forget the Mint IRC chat lines and the Mint Community Website.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome GeneC, glad to have you as part of the community.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Thanks Folks

I guess you can teach an "OLD DOG" new tricks... :lol:
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Gene, Never too old to learn and the one thing that I have learned is change sometimes is good. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
jesica

Post by jesica »

welcome to the forum

Return to “Introduce Yourself”