New to Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

New to Linux

Postby MarkNibert on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:24 am

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am Mark, 30 year old male from Lewis Center, Ohio. I am working on a Masters in Computer Science and would consider myself fairly literate with computers. I managed to get Linux Mint installed. The only I am having so far is an issue with the ethernet card. I did get some tips on that as well as found several on the forums here. I did get it working last night, we will see what happens after I do a reboot. I am currently a father of a 2.5 year old which is a lot of fun. I am training for triathlons, duathlons and what not this summer. I mostly enjoy the cycling piece of it and I am also currently starting to do a lot of power lifting exercises to see what comes from that.

I am also a gamer and currently play wow. I am a GM right now which is way more work then it needs to be and I am considering stepping out of that role as it takes away from enjoying the game. I am really looking for some good information on the advanced features of Linux as I would like to use it for all of my pc needs. I currently have a dual boot set up with W7 right now. The windows side is primarly to play a lot of the PC games I have. I havent installed steam on the linux mint side yet, unsure of how lfd2 and several other games will play (need to chekc the wine site). Also if there are any books, videos or anything that you would recommend that would be great.

The driving factor for this is I currently work for the DOD and a couple of the positions I have my eye on involve knowing linux, unix. I know that this is probably not the same version, type etc but I am taking a class this year and having a head start should certainly help me out.
MarkNibert
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New to Linux

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:18 am

Welcome to the Mint forums MarkNibert. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Mint may be a good first step in working with Linux/Unix, as Linux is a Unix-like operating system. Have fun with Mint.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Oscar799 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Hello Mark,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> viewtopic.php?f=60&p=302358#p302358
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby jesica on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:55 pm

hallo and welcome to the forum

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby vrkalak on Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:02 pm

Welcome to LinuxMint and the Mint Forums.

Have you tried Play-on-Linux yet? http://www.playonlinux.com/en/
Play on Linux > has many of the major and popular games and shows you how-to play Windows games on Linux, too.
Like most of the Linux OS's and Apps. > they also, have a Help Forum.
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Introduce yourself