Hello from UK

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Hello from UK

Postby wiggy25 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:15 am

Hi all.

I'm Ian and live in a small village near Grantham in Lincolnshire in the UK.

Like most others bought up on Windows and had heard of the MAC and it's operating system although never used it!
I never knew what Linux or Ubuntu was but have got so fed up with Vista wanted to try something new.

Luckily for me we don't play games on the PC, it's mainly used for email, surfing and a few office documents, so M$ was really over the top.

Installed Ubuntu 10.10 about a month ago now and not needed to boot back into Windows since.
Everything just worked, few bugs but nothing that stops me from using everything.
What's nice is that from Ubuntu can access all of my windows folders as well.

Not really used the command line yet, tried a few things following the Linux.org on-line pdf manual, waiting for some books I've bought so I can read and play at the same time.

So been playing about with Ubuntu since installing and got to say very impressed...but reading the forums and Ubuntu web site they are going to drop Gnome for Unity and also Open Office in favour of Libre Office in forth coming releases!
This to me is just plain crazy, it's a steep learning curve to learn Linux O.S. and other software so why change something that works when there are bugs that should take priority?
I shouldn't really complain as it's all free, but just seems a bit odd to me.

With this in mind looked for another flavour which hopefully won't change things just for the sake of it, and found Linux mint.

Created the Live CD and it appears to be working very well.
I'm not too keen on the email but I can always install Evolution which I find much better.
Will use the Linux Mint live CD for a while and if all is OK will install this over Ubuntu.

Hope to learn lots of new things, they say life begins at 40......so does learning a new OS!

Cheers

Ian
wiggy25
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hello from UK

Postby tdockery97 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:51 am

Welcome to the Mint forums wiggy25. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Clark76 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:37 am

So been playing about with Ubuntu since installing and got to say very impressed...but reading the forums and Ubuntu web site they are going to drop Gnome for Unity and also Open Office in favour of Libre Office in forth coming releases!
This to me is just plain crazy, it's a steep learning curve to learn Linux O.S. and other software so why change something that works when there are bugs that should take priority?
I shouldn't really complain as it's all free, but just seems a bit odd to me.

This prompted the switch for me also.
Clark76
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenathos on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 am

Welcome to the forum. Lots to see and do here. :D
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jesica on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:23 pm

hallo and welcome to the forum

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Oscar799 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Hello wiggy25
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> viewtopic.php?f=60&p=302358#p302358
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby willie42 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:17 pm

welcome to the Linux Mint Forums :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Postby nairobie on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi and welcome. I would point out that theres a huge amount of information but as you can see that has already been covered.

wiggy25 wrote:but reading the forums and Ubuntu web site they are going to drop Gnome for Unity and also Open Office in favour of Libre Office in forth coming releases!

Regarding that line I would like too point out that Unity will be running ontop of Gnome, much like Gnome-Shell will. In the end you really get three choises by this, regular Gnome, Unity or Gnome Shell.
Regarding Open Office and Libre Office, the latter is a fork and so far is really not all that different. I think it has two(dont qoute me on that) new features, but a bunch of bug fixes. Until Oracle(company owning Open Office) decides that it needs to do a gearshift and really speed up the development of if I would recommend most people to go with LO.
Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.
nairobie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Introduce yourself