Hello from UK

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wiggy25

Hello from UK

Post by wiggy25 »

Hi all.

I'm Ian and live in a small village near Grantham in Lincolnshire in the UK.

Like most others bought up on Windows and had heard of the MAC and it's operating system although never used it!
I never knew what Linux or Ubuntu was but have got so fed up with Vista wanted to try something new.

Luckily for me we don't play games on the PC, it's mainly used for email, surfing and a few office documents, so M$ was really over the top.

Installed Ubuntu 10.10 about a month ago now and not needed to boot back into Windows since.
Everything just worked, few bugs but nothing that stops me from using everything.
What's nice is that from Ubuntu can access all of my windows folders as well.

Not really used the command line yet, tried a few things following the Linux.org on-line pdf manual, waiting for some books I've bought so I can read and play at the same time.

So been playing about with Ubuntu since installing and got to say very impressed...but reading the forums and Ubuntu web site they are going to drop Gnome for Unity and also Open Office in favour of Libre Office in forth coming releases!
This to me is just plain crazy, it's a steep learning curve to learn Linux O.S. and other software so why change something that works when there are bugs that should take priority?
I shouldn't really complain as it's all free, but just seems a bit odd to me.

With this in mind looked for another flavour which hopefully won't change things just for the sake of it, and found Linux mint.

Created the Live CD and it appears to be working very well.
I'm not too keen on the email but I can always install Evolution which I find much better.
Will use the Linux Mint live CD for a while and if all is OK will install this over Ubuntu.

Hope to learn lots of new things, they say life begins at 40......so does learning a new OS!

Cheers

Ian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Hello from UK

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint forums wiggy25. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Clark76

Post by Clark76 »

So been playing about with Ubuntu since installing and got to say very impressed...but reading the forums and Ubuntu web site they are going to drop Gnome for Unity and also Open Office in favour of Libre Office in forth coming releases!
This to me is just plain crazy, it's a steep learning curve to learn Linux O.S. and other software so why change something that works when there are bugs that should take priority?
I shouldn't really complain as it's all free, but just seems a bit odd to me.
This prompted the switch for me also.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum. Lots to see and do here. :D
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
jesica

Post by jesica »

hallo and welcome to the forum
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello wiggy25
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

welcome to the Linux Mint Forums :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
nairobie

Post by nairobie »

Hi and welcome. I would point out that theres a huge amount of information but as you can see that has already been covered.
wiggy25 wrote:but reading the forums and Ubuntu web site they are going to drop Gnome for Unity and also Open Office in favour of Libre Office in forth coming releases!
Regarding that line I would like too point out that Unity will be running ontop of Gnome, much like Gnome-Shell will. In the end you really get three choises by this, regular Gnome, Unity or Gnome Shell.
Regarding Open Office and Libre Office, the latter is a fork and so far is really not all that different. I think it has two(dont qoute me on that) new features, but a bunch of bug fixes. Until Oracle(company owning Open Office) decides that it needs to do a gearshift and really speed up the development of if I would recommend most people to go with LO.
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

WOW!!!
That long ago since I first joined.
Have to say for the last 2years or so I have been using Ubuntu only because I wanted to give it a real good try, as I know lots of people knock it, but it's not fair unless you give it a try.
I found it great as I don't really change anything, I find that in Mint using MATE or Cinnamon there are so many things that can be tweaked!
All I've done is changed the background to a photo!
So now back on Mint with the Mate desktop, why you may ask?
Well I just got to the point where it seemed you always needed to do a work around to get things to work as it's not included.

So back on Mint where everything works out of the box, apart from the DVD player.
It's ODD as I have Mint Mate 17.2 on the laptop put in the DVD auto plays no problem.

This Desktop has Mint Mate 17.3 on and put the DVD in it makes some noise then nothing, no auto play or anything.
I need to see why thats not working now, and thats the same with any DVD!

So hello again!

Cheers

Ian
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Wow, I started reading your post, where you said you installed Ubuntu 10.10 and I said wow that is old, then looked at the date of this thread and figured it out.
So, welcome back. :D
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

A welcome return to the forums

wizard
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Welcome back from another fellow brit :wink:

I chuckled too when i read the date of the OP, nice to see you're enjoying mint, I recently installed the new gnome ubuntu in a VB and it's nice, just not nice enough to tempt me away though . . . . . . :lol:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Welcome back, and Happy Minting!

I had the same reaction as Crewp when I read "Ubuntu 10.10" in your first post. :) Glad I read the whole thread. :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"All Linux OS-Distros" Forums and Tutorials > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum

Return to “Introduce Yourself”