Forgot to introduce myself

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Forgot to introduce myself

Postby Jix on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:08 am

Hi,

I'm a translator (Polish/French > English) and I own http://www.gameobserver.com. Needless to say, I spend most of my days in front of the computer. I started thinking about using Linux 2 years ago after XP became unbearable for me. When installing my own crap-free XP version I had to slipstream SATA drviers, and other drivers were a veritable puzzle to install from scratch (it's a laptop). Sound drivers alone required 8 different things to get working. The OS was slow and always required fixing, so I decided to give Linux a go. I asked my brother which Linux distro he recommended and he categorically said Mint. He's a system's integrator at Ericsson so I took his word for it, but still decided to try other distros to be sure (Mandrivan, Mepis, Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSUSE) only to realize Mint really was the best. It's got the most commonly used stuff out of the box.

My first Mint was 8 - by far the best one for my prissy laptop (nx9420). I have since then discovered Win 7, which is far better than XP could ever hope to be, but I always have a dual boot setup. I haven't completely switched to Mint because of overheating issues, but I feel safer knowing I have a second OS ready for work in case the other one goes down. I managed to convince one other person to check out Mint and only hope more people switch to Linux. The more people use it, the better support we'll have.

Having said that, I hope future versions of Mint have flashier components, like Docky and Emerald menus, out of the box. Thanks for the great product!
Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Forgot to introduce myself

Postby tdockery97 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Welcome Jix. It looks like you've already found your way around pretty well. You can also meet some of us on the Mint IRC channelsl. Just use XChat from your Internet submenu and it will take you directly there.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Oscar799 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Hello Jix,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> viewtopic.php?f=60&p=302358#p302358
We also have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby donec on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Welcome to Mint Forum Jix.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jesica on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:57 am

welcome to the forum

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Introduce yourself