Greetings from the UK

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The-Wizard

Greetings from the UK

Post by The-Wizard »

Hi there Guys and Girls,
I haven't touched a program using command lines for over 25 yrs, but as from tomorrow [hopefully] my main machine will be running Mint 10 64bit, I will be reading as much as possible to find information on set ups and programs i will want.
The aim eventually is to turn my main puter [amd xp x2 64]into a home server my spare [amd xp 2600] into a duel boot to run the games programs for the family when they visit, and tie the lot in with my windows laptop and Linux notepad [which i haven't got yet] through an 11g router so i can back up/store all my important pictures,music,and documents on one drive but giving access to all, [if this makes sense to you]
For the last couple of weeks, I have been playing with mint 10 booting from DVD, and have been pleasantly surprised [especially as it found drivers for all my perifial equipment except my camera [but i can use the multi reader to down load the pictures ..so no swet]

Brian
The-Wizard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Greetings from the UK

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint forums Brian. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

The-Wizard wrote:Hi there Guys and Girls,
I haven't touched a program using command lines for over 25 yrs, but as from tomorrow [hopefully] my main machine will be running Mint 10 64bit, I will be reading as much as possible to find information on set ups and programs i will want.
Excellent plan and good luck with the complete home networking setups..

One point that I think should be made always
  • Unless you are running a 4GB or greater RAM computer, the 32bit OS would be sufficient
  • Of course, the processor and Graphics card should be similarly of a higher quality
  • A server computer does not require much in the way of RAM or graphics card, but a good quality network card helps, these days a 1 or 10GB system is idea..
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Ok let's tell you of my set up as it stands [not high end but resonable] I always build my own and will only use AMD processors so.. i have Asus M2M-MX board with 4 gig PC26400, amd Athalon xp x2 6000+[windsor core]with performance fan assembly, C media 7.1 sound card,ATI Radeon HD5450-1gb graphics, 9x usb2 2x usb1,x16 card reader,5inch case fan, wireless dongle,microphone and speekers [have to say goodnight to grand daughter every evening]printer/scanner [and as from tomorrow a 250gb western didgital 7500rpm SATA drive] oh yes and a DGM 21" wide screen hi def monitor

brian
jesica

Post by jesica »

Hey,

welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Brian,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358

Return to “Introduce Yourself”