I am uncle goosehead from Canada

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
goosehead

I am uncle goosehead from Canada

Post by goosehead »

My user name is goosehead, because I get called uncle goosehead, though I don't actually know why. There are some other words worse that goose so I keep it. Mint seems to be a nice thing. Minor preference: I think mint means green, not black. Black means liquorice or maybe blackened cajun chicken. (Blackened Cajun Linux - what an idea!). So I have made the desktop a nice green like Mint 9 was. Green is good in the Great White North, where we have no green for 8 months of the year and summer is 4 months of bad skiing. White of course means snow and temperature today has rised from -36 C last week to -1 C today. That is crazy for this time of year. But maybe it is because some of us are full of hot air right now.

I put Mint 10 on an EEEPC 1005 HAB. This was a little bit of a quest, as I actually did it twice. I decided to leave the winxp on the drive and maybe will make it in to a virtual machine with VM Ware converter. Which is quite an interesting thing to try next.

My first little while was trying to get the microphone going, which I have wrote about here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 19#p378891. The fault with that is from the Ubuntu origin and probly it is wise to check about updates to sound before doing it if this problem has affected you.

As for my introduction, I started with Xandros Linux back in the days of its version 1, and it discontinued at version 4. I think it means this is about year 6 or 7 with Linux. Since then I went and tried Mepis, Knoppix, Mint 9 and Ubuntu. I found I disliked Ubuntu. Can't exactly say why, it just seemed it did not work with my goosehead brains.

Some applications I really need and have put on are 'icecream" which is a command line stream ripper. It can be set to record internet radio and name each song into an MP3. I also like 'audacity' for cleaning up and editting the tracks.

I will need to see how this Mint 10 will connect to a windows server 2008 via a VPN and will look for that next. If anyone reads this and knows about this, that would be 'minty cool'!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: I am uncle goosehead from Canada

Post by Habitual »

Welcome to Mint Forum!

There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=20
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/

For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat

Enjoy the Minty goodness!
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

And all I get from my nieces and nephews is Uncle Johnny...

Welcome to the forums Goosehead
jesica

Post by jesica »

hallo and welcome to the forum
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Hey
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Warm welcome to the Mint Forums.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

Hello Uncle Goosehead, I just had to say it :D love it :lol:
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”