Hello everybody

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Inprogress

Hello everybody

Post by Inprogress »

EDIT: I continued this thread in the newbie category.

Hope the title isn't offensive.

I've been running Linux for more than a year now, first Ubuntu 9.04 in Ultimate clothes, now upgraded to LinuxMint 10 (gnome). All is well and good except for about and hour ago. I wanted to dual boot with Windows XP Pro for a few software reasons that just doesn't run on Linux - pity really.

I already had a dual boot, Ubuntu and Mint 10. I did it this way so that I could try Mint and see if everything works when installed. All was well and good. So I decided to finally replace the Ubuntu installation with XP. I chose the right partition, everything installed cool and dandy, except my laptop (HP 530) now only boots XP without any boot options.

Before I installed XP, the Mint dual boot option list would show up without failure. Please help or direct to help or direct to forum for help.

Its a down right mess cause I had this thought that I should just take all my stuff of Mint, yet after so many dual boot OS with Linux, the thought quickly passed and I just checked 3 times that I will be installing XP over Ubuntu and not of Mint.

Please help! And yes, I give you all the right to call me a nincompoop, or any other derogatory term suitable for public viewing :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: Hello, need some help with dual boot FA CUP

Post by seeley »

Hi Inprogress!
Your Grub has been overwritten, please read my help, Chapter Grub and post relevant outputs (if the question is "how?": see chapter Terminal).
seeley
Inprogress

Post by Inprogress »

Hey there Elisa and Seeley. Thanks for the help so far.

So I removed my Grub. Interesting, that will teach me. Something I noticed when I run Mint from the live CD was that it doesn't pick up the partitions. I am reading up on the re-installing the GRUB as...well not as I type this cause if I did read it as I typed this I would be a very rich man...but I am reading up on how to re-install it. I am reading your How to guide as well Seeley, its a bit broken language for me though, I only know enough not to break linux...until now.

EDIT: Windows however does only see the one partition as the entire harddrive so thankfully I still have the Mint partition.

EDIT 2: When I say Mint doesn't pick up the partitions and only the entire harddrive (void of partitions) I am not using the terminal method, it was GUI just to check quickly. Reading GRUB2 reinstallation.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
If you need further help, please post some relevant outputs (-> my help).
seeley
jesica

Post by jesica »

hallo

welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
Inprogress

Post by Inprogress »

Thanks everyone.

I started a new post in the Newbie section: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=65938

To my understanding that is the more appropriate category :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”