Hi'ya all

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Hi'ya all

Postby Patric on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:17 am

My name is Patric Ahlqvist. been using Ubuntu since a couple of years after wasting my life up til that point on various win dists... I was reborn. Now I got me self a messege on my website to try LinuxMint, and I thought, why the hell not ;)

I just got a laptop from work, as I'm going on a 4 month education... I need to stay in touch with work, family and of cours study some, heh.. This lappie, of course, have win7 on it, and I'm not allowed to trash that and install a more suitable OS like... well, say Linux of some sort..

So... I thought "Virtualbox", mhm... Might this work with LinuxMint main ? I don't like the liveCD option as it isn't so fast/good according to the efforts I made in that department earlier. I don't want/am allowed to go dualboot either, so.. I feel I'd like to try a virtual approach. Suggestions ? Is virtualbox da s.h.i.t ?

I'm trying this on my stationary PC/Ubuntu 10.10 at home and it works soso... Can't really get them "guest additions" to work in order to get the resolution the way I want it...

So, in short, are there any suggestions on how to run LinuxMint Main in a virtual enviroment on a windows 7 machine...

Regards Patric.
Patric
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hi'ya all

Postby viking777 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Virtualisation is not unicorns Patric, but it is not that good either. So have a think about this option.

Use your windows laptop to download and burn a Clonezilla cd/usbkey. Boot from this and make a complete disk image of your present disk to a completely separate media (external usb drive or dvd maybe, but whatever it is keep it safe). When this is done put Linux onto your laptop and use it as much as you like until the time comes when you have to give the laptop back for whatever reason. Just prior to doing this you reinstall the disk image from your saved media and you give that lappy back in exactly the same state that it is now. They will probably be quite impressed that you haven't even remotely damaged it with viruses/trojans/spyware etc, most other users almost certainly will have done this :D .

Disk imaging is used by computer vendors in order to roll out masses of machines with identical installations, and also to create 'restore' partitions to reset your computer to factory settings, so there is nothing remotely unusual about what I am suggesting, it does work. but maybe the people you work for have taken steps to prevent you from doing this or maybe it isn't worth risking your job for (if that is the case).

How about mint4win? I know precisely nothing about it but maybe that would be of use to you?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby jesica on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:14 pm

hallo and welcome to the forum

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Patric on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:27 pm

@ Jesica - Thank you ;)

@ viking777 - That is an idea... Don't think they've taken precautions in anywhich way, as the lappy is purchased "on the side", well not more than the vocal conditions that is. Will certainly take a look at this option, as winsucks (already, after a couple of days have I grown tired of the updating piece of crap, heh) just isn't for me...

Thanks a´lot.
Patric
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Introduce yourself