Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Postby besman on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Came over to Mint from PCLinuxOS. Theirs is an excellent distribution and one of the first I built some confidence on, not having had much experience with Linux beyond just attempting to get it to run on some old pcs I had. It was the first distro I managed to boot sucessfully with Grub. I tried several and none was as helpful and intuitive as PCLinux. But lately, I've gotten curious about other Linux distros

I discovered Puppy Linux and actively use Lucid Puppy 5.2. It is a remarkable achievment and I feel very relaxed and confident using it on my two laptops when I get sick of Windows.

Then I came to your distro, Mint, after trying Ubuntu. I didn't like Ubuntu for some reason this time around pretty much the way I rejected it a few years before. Now I know Mint is based on Ubuntu but your distro is compelling because it was so easy to set up. I'm using it on the same hard drive I had PCLinux on. Mint loaded and I was up and running in less than a half hour. Remarkable.

And a bonus,I discovered I could print with Mint, too! I never could get PCLinux to do that.

I'll give your distro a try. I like what I'm seeing and it runs smooth as silk.

I've had no issues so far. And your forum seems friendly and is loaded with problems and solutions for all to share in.

Thanks to everyone. I'm always amazed by all the Linux contributors for all the distributions and what they accomplish.
besman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie

Postby tdockery97 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:45 am

Welcome to the Mint forums besman. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.
Mint 17 Cinnamon
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Oscar799 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:36 am

Hello besman,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby The-Wizard on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:38 am

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Introduce yourself