Hello there

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fusix

Hello there

Post by Fusix »

Hi. Fusix here. I'm a music producer that dabbles in a bit of artwork and coding occasionally.

[WARNING: Long Post]

I recently got a new Win7 laptop. I wanted XP, but I had no choice with this particular machine.
It is a HP and there is malware all over it, installed by HP. That is according to my anti-virus anyway.

I build computers sometimes, so I kind of know what I am doing, but this machine is just terrible.
I have spent days trouble shooting individual issues only for another to crop up. It is also quite slow -
It's a triple core 1.8GHz, so it shouldn't be. The software is virtually impossible to remove and it looks like
I am going to have to buy a new copy of Win7 to do some kind of 'nLited' install on here, as I only got a
'recovery' disk with the machine.

It is an AMD Phenom II processor - 64-bit and the Windows I have is of the 64-bit Professional variety.
4 Gb or RAM with a 7200 RPM Hard Disk. There really is no excuse for such sluggishness, with specs
like that!

Ok, enough whinging. The only reason I mention this is to show my motives and rationale about wanting to
get into Linux. I stumbled across Mint almost by accident - quite randomly in fact. But I am glad I did.

I have a special machine running winXP for my music production. It works like a dream and I am quite happy
with it. No other OS works with the programs I have, so I am stuck with it, so it is just as well.
As for just general use and surfing the net, Win7 would be fine, but it just doesn't work properly. I know lots
of Music producers are using it for all kinds of stuff and they are very happy with it. But there are more unhappy
people in regard to it, and I'm one of them. The bloat and rubbish that HP install these days made my eyes
water - finger printing and facial recognition built into the lowest level of the system install........Bah!

Anyway, I was absolutely knocked out by Mint. It installed flawlessly from the live cd that I burnt from the .iso
and I was taken aback at how beautiful the interface is. A genuine work of art. The included programs are great too.
And I was really bowled over that ten minutes after installing the live cd, I was surfing the net.

I only wanted it as a replacement to the bloat I told you about, but I have fallen in love with this OS and this
distro in particular. Now that I've (kind of) got it booting from a USB-STICK, it is actually FASTER than my
other install of Windows. Unbelievable.

This seems like a great community here and I hope I can give something back to this amazing project in
whatever way. I shall be experimenting with the Linux based music tools that are available and letting you all
know what I discover. And I shall spread the word about this particular distro' far and wide as I travel
on my musical journey. As producers we are forced into using certain OS's, but as surfers and general users
we have a choice. And I'm very happy in my choice of using Mint Linux, because with this OS, I am having
a whole new experience of computing. I can't wait to get it installed properly to the hard drive.

I have some ideas for the advancement and promotion of this OS. But I'll think them through properly first and
when I come up with something a bit more concrete, I'll start a new thread............

I'll stop rambling now.

But before I go, I'll just say Thanks for an amazing Operating System. It exudes class in all kinds of ways, from
the graphics and design of the interface down to the logic and ease of use of it's functions.

I'm glad Win7 has been playing up, because this Mint Linux thing has opened up a whole new world to me.
Thans again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Hello there

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint forums Fusix. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.

P.S. If you think it runs well from a USB stick, wait till you see it on the HDD. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forums! And yes, I read your entire post. ;-)
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

It was a good read and i lol'd, actually if you want to off that hp win install you could fire up gparted and blow away the whole disk then get to dualbooting the xp and mint onnit, i have done this for other peeps that came to me with factory installed OS's and recovery partitions without a hitch.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Fusix,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

its the difference between an electronic piano and a Steinway... you can play good music on either but the Steinway is smoother and sweeter ..

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard

Return to “Introduce Yourself”