Hello from Virginia!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Hello from Virginia!

Postby thouartsimple on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:04 am

As they say around these parts -- HEY YA'LL! I have been an avid computer user since 1997 when my parents got their first personal computer. Of course, it was Windows 95 and it sucked. Then we had Windows 98, which also sucked. Then Windows 2000 which was decent for a bit. XP sucked at first but then got more stable as the years went on. At this point, I bought my first (very overpriced) Dell PC to take to college. Oh, I wish I knew now what I thought I knew back then.

Anyway to make a long story short, I started building my own desktop PCs and I have Windows 7 on there now, which is nice, but my laptop couldn't run it for some reason. I had Vista on there originally (ugh), but I removed it after about a year of use. I put Windows 7 on there, but it would randomly blue screen or just shut off for no reason. After much frustration trying to figure this out (including writing zeros to the whole hard drive, including the boot sector!), I put Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat on there. I liked it, but I heard about other distributions and I tried Kubuntu and realized I hated KDE. I went back to Ubuntu due to my growing love affair with GNOME.

Then, I read that for 11.04 and on, Ubuntu was moving away from my beloved GNOME to Unity. I tried the 11.04 Natty Narwahl Beta 1, which was OK, but I wasn't a big fan of the Unity interface. I knew that there were bugs to be worked out and etc as this was a Beta, but I just didn't like the features of the interface. I did a bit more research and found Linux Mint a few days ago and so far, so good. I love the look and feel of this OS and I like the focus on the GNOME desktop environment.

I hope I can fit in well here and provide some simple support assistance when necessary as I am rather new to Linux, but always learning. In advance thank you all for the welcomes!
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hello from Virginia!

Postby rivenathos on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:16 am

Welcome to the forum!
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Oscar799 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:23 am

Hello thouartsimple,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby The-Wizard on Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:22 am

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Postby tdockery97 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Welcome thouartsimple.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby donec on Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Welcome Thouartsimple to the Linux Mint forums.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Introduce yourself