Hola .....

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Almost Human

Hola .....

Post by Almost Human »

Hi everyone , just jumped ship from Ubuntu 11.04 , been meaning to try out Mint for some time and now thanks to the total fail that Unity is atm here I am ( I'm sure when its fixed it'll be the greatest thing ever :roll: ) , I've been playing around with Linux for 6 or so years , most of which has been with Ubuntu , and class myself as a total noob with just enough understanding to not break everything . Oh and time for some personal stuff , I'm 40 , from the U.K and a Gnome lover and at last think I may have found the distro for me !

Pat
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Hola .....

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Hello, Pat. It's about time you got here. :lol: Welcome to the best distro in the Linuxverse.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Pat,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
Almost Human

Post by Almost Human »

Thanks chaps , am rather at a loss as to why I didn't jump ship sooner , this most definitely is Ubuntu as it should be , can see this as the start of a beautiful friendship , Mint ftw !

Pat
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

Welcome aboard Pat. Your story is one that's been repeated countless times over amongst those who use and love Linux Mint. As you suggest, given the "epic fail" Unity has been so far, in particular with those who've spent years enjoying traditional Gnome and all it offers, making the move to Linux Mint is like a breath of fresh air! Little wonder that Mint is known far and wide as the "Ubuntu Done Right" distro that doesn't disappoint!

The day may come when Ubuntu and its Unity DE project will find their way back out of the hole they've dug for themselves with this initial beta class Unity release that has everyone in an uproar. Ever since 11.04 was released the boards have been ringing with dissatisfied users who can't understand why Ubuntu would put out such a poorly configured radically dumbed down desktop environment while pretending it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. As the Romans used to say, "Vox Publica Vox Dio" (the voice of the public is the voice of god). However that's a lesson Ubuntu clearly hasn't yet learned, although it seems they may this time around. How Mr. Shuttleworth imagines that Ubuntu will grow from an estimated 12,000,000 users today to the 200,000,000 he predicts in the next few years, with something as broken as Unity now is leading the way, is impossible to conceive.

Anyway, enough of "epic fails" for the moment, and welcome again to the way Ubuntu should have been all along Pat - to the Linux Mint family of grateful users!
Almost Human

Post by Almost Human »

The first 48 or so hours into a new distro and I've usually found something I need to "fix" , I've been ragging the hell out of everything with LM10 and haven't managed to break anything ( yet ) , it's stable , neat , no lumpy bits , and apart from a minor video playback issue it has surpassed my hopes for a Natty replacement ( downloaded a lot of distros for a trial this weekend , first one in the tray was Mint , haven't bothered with the others ) , sycophantic drivel over , I'll try not to stink up the place too much :wink:

Pat
BuyerBrown

Post by BuyerBrown »

Hi and Pleasure to meet You :D
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums Pat!

Cheers.