Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 11 “Katya”. Linux Mint 11 “Katya” New features at a glance: One click install for multimedia codecs and extra applications The Software Manager UI improvements New splash screen Fonts category More accurate package information More application icons by default More accurate search by default [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1760
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Post by kc1di »

Congratulation to the Whole team,
11 is a very nice looking and performing release.
Thank you for all you do.
Dave
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
msm

Post by msm »

Installed the RC last week. Great distro. If I ever see you here in Dublin, Clem, I'll buy you a pint of Guinness as a small way of saying thank you :D
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

I'm an atheist but never mind OMG!!
eren
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eren »

It's great.
It works with no trouble.

With love from Linux Mint Turkey....

:D
khan

Post by khan »

Thanks again Clem and the team for your hard work. I very much enjoy this release and so far is the best one yet! The desktop wallpapers are absolutely beautiful, and I would love to see more Mint inspired desktops in the future!

Congratulations and thanks again for the hard work!
aelfinn

First bugs

Post by aelfinn »

First bug: mintupdate says, “Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list (dist parse)”, and cannot find or download updates. That line reads, “deb file:///usr/share/local-repository katya”. What to do?

Second bug: installer crashed on me, see this screenshot. This happened after I partitioned a drive with the installer already open. I reported another installer crash in the rc bug thread – has that even been looked into? Also, the unreadable “warning” in the installer (page 3) is still unreadable. :(
demilord

Post by demilord »

I switched from ubuntu,, I couldnt get into unity, I just miss the taskbar.. and find the classic gnome, has lots of bugs... and not streamlined...
aXept

Post by aXept »

Maybe a stupid question, but whatever...

I installed LM 11 RC a couple of days ago, and I've updated with all updates that has come. Is this version the final release ? Or do I have to download again and install ?
Restless Nomad

Post by Restless Nomad »

If I have just installed the RC version last night…do I have to re-install Final or can I just run an upgrade like Ubuntu? Also does anyone know if they fixed the “About Me” issue with it not keeping typed data after close? Overall, I am very, very satisfied with the "RC" version I am currently in to type this post. I am a die hard Gnome 2.32/Ubuntu newbie who survived less than 48 hours with Unity before wiping it off of my system in disgust. I searched far & wide and this is "THE" distro to go to for misaligned Ubuntu 10.10/10.04 users the world over. I put it on one of my 500 GB/7200 RPM internal hard drives on my Alienware m17x and it performs wonderfully right out of the box. Thank you for any info you can give me on what the next step is...if I have to wipe and re-install to get the full version I will...just glad I put that /home directory on its own partition :wink: Thanks to the community in advance.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

aXept wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but whatever...

I installed LM 11 RC a couple of days ago, and I've updated with all updates that has come. Is this version the final release ? Or do I have to download again and install ?

No need to reinstall. Your updates will take care of everything. :wink:
aXept

Post by aXept »

z06gal wrote:
aXept wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but whatever...

No need to reinstall. Your updates will take care of everything. :wink:
Nice! :D
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

Please, where can I find the md5sums for the Katya iso?
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

How about on the release announcement page;-

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1760
david4dev

Post by david4dev »

Awesome stuff - great work! :D
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty »

Just downloaded and Installed Katya, Wow what an awesome release, Fast and sharp and just perfect!! Many Many Many thanks to everyone who helped create this wonderful distro, Mint just gets better and better without a shadow of a doubt!!
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

I think This is an awesome distro! It installed like a dream. I figured out how to configure Compiz on Mint 11, so it all works great! I think I'll replace Mint 10 now.

:D
DrKillPatient

Post by DrKillPatient »

As a newcomer to Mint and Linux in general, I know little about the way updates work. I've got Mint 10, is it worth it to upgrade to 11-- or would it be a minor change, not worth a reinstall? Or is there some kind of 'upgrade' feature to go from 10 to 11?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

DrKillPatient wrote:As a newcomer to Mint and Linux in general, I know little about the way updates work. I've got Mint 10, is it worth it to upgrade to 11-- or would it be a minor change, not worth a reinstall? Or is there some kind of 'upgrade' feature to go from 10 to 11?
Here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

I rather do a fresh install...

Check the new features, decide for yourself: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_katya_whatsnew.php

Can't decide? Run Mint 11 in live mode or install in dual boot with Mint 10.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

I've been using the RC for a week or two myself and its been running great on my core i3, H55 chipset system. Apart from a few applets not loading now and then (just do a restart and all is well) its been perfect.

I've been using Ubuntu for nearly four years now but the Unity interface seems unfinished and not intuitive for me, so I've moved to Mint, it seems. Even the classic mode in Natty is buggy, after such a stable 10.10.

Thanks Mintians for such a great distro. If I indeed move over to Mint as my production machine, I will donate for sure.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”