Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pmcartney

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Post by pmcartney »

Fantastic work! Love the new MINT all over things like firefox!

---Rich
gillmt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gillmt »

I've been using the RC on my second best machine and was really keen to install 11 on the best box - but I ran into problems with no panel after installing nVidia drivers. I struggled with using gedit to change the settings - couldn't get the delay time sorted - and then gave up and just used gnome safe mode to remove nVidia. Now it works, but as others have commented, the lack of a boot screen, with no indication that the PC is working properly is unnerving.

After four years using Ubuntu, I moved to Mint about six months ago and found it really comfortable to use - up to date without being too cutting edge (as in things being broken!) Thank you to everyone involved. I'm really hoping that the Mint team will be able to keep producing a gradually evolving and improving desktop for people who enjoy Linux but don't want to struggle to keep up with all the bling (sorry - that is very middle aged of me!)
brf50b

Post by brf50b »

Well done! Upgraded from Julia to Katya yesterday. I'm really impressed. I've been with Mint since Celena. I find Katya very snappy - much better, for me, than Julia. As I said, I'm really impressed -2 hours to do full install, updates, all programs, data restored - all as it was only better!
Elderwuss

Post by Elderwuss »

How do I post a reply to other topics?
I don't see a "Reply" or "Post" button on any other pages.
While I'm here, Thank you for Mint 11. It feels pretty good.
However, I am having trouble with Screensaver/Power Management.
When idle for selected time it goes to sleep OK. But, it actually dies,
rather than sleeping, and requires a manual power down and reboot.
I have Ubuntu 10.10 on another partition and it has always awakened from a sleep.
So, not likely a hardware problem.
GeForce 8400 GS nVidia on Dell 2400. Metacity selected in Compiz Fusion Icon.
8 gig swap. 1.5 gig memory
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Thanks, Clem. I updated to Katya today and like how it looks and feels. So far, everything (with a couple of exceptions) works fine. Since I installed this distro on an aging MacBook, I suspect that my primary problem, i.e., Cheese doesn't work) has to do with Max's iSight firmware, which I installed, but Cheese still doesn't recognize it.

I'll install it on my iMac as soon as I pick up a usb mouse and keyboard because the Mint 10 and 11 don't like the iMac's wireless and "magic" mouse. :roll:
Octavio11

Post by Octavio11 »

:D Perfecto, justo para mis necesidades actuales.

Gracias Clement Lefebvre.

Saludos.
nlsthzn

Post by nlsthzn »

Never enjoyed Mint until Katya... now I am very much hooked... sweet release, congrats!

Neil
defcon

Post by defcon »

Nice, is there an appointment when LM11 Lxde comes out?
nyvietvet

Post by nyvietvet »

I am so impressed by the great job done by the team on this Distro! It took all of 15 minutes to install the OS, then another 85 minutes for me to tweak it to my liking. I encountered zero problems during this process. Everything just works, and beautifully.

Compared to the nightmare of re-installing Win 7, then downloading and updating everything, this was a breeze.

Please keep up the great work!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Can anyone let me know if there will be a Mint 11 LXDE? If not, I will create my own Minty LXDE based on Lubuntu 11.04.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

Confessions of a cube flipper.

Nice release but I must confess I miss my Compiz to which I have become addicted.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

jaspmatt wrote:Confessions of a cube flipper.

Nice release but I must confess I miss my Compiz to which I have become addicted.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/how-to-d ... 86-in.html
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

Thanks for the link. I will be giving it a try!
Johnny Buntu

Post by Johnny Buntu »

Congratulations!!! Definitely one of the best "Natty" distros out there. Katya is a Gem :mrgreen:
Much thanks to the Mint Team !!

We are still evaluating its use as a a professional tool for work, in this case photo journalism.
We will evaluate if :
1) you can scan and post process images( Xsane, Gimp)
2) create web pages using CSS( Bluefish, Compozer)
3) upload image , video and sound files
4) use Libre Office for full office productivity, printing, PDF, Word, PWP presentations
5)Scribus for desktop publishing
6) Desktop DVD, CD , video and audio files playback. Gnome Player, VLC, Dragon player, Banshee, Clementine etc)
Etc..you get the idea, the purpose being here is to "push" Linux into full professional functionality, I think these Distros are mature enough and are up to the task

Will post a full account in one month or so.

Cheers, Johnny
CaptSaltyJack

Post by CaptSaltyJack »

Hey Clem,

Are you guys gonna re-post a fresh ISO once the Ubuntu kernel guys post the fix for the bug that prevents wi-fi from working on just about every Asus EEE PC netbook? It kernel panics, and this is a fresh install. (2.6.38.3 and up fixes the issue I believe)
shimazaki

Post by shimazaki »

gillmt wrote:I've been using the RC on my second best machine and was really keen to install 11 on the best box - but I ran into problems with no panel after installing nVidia drivers. I struggled with using gedit to change the settings - couldn't get the delay time sorted - and then gave up and just used gnome safe mode to remove nVidia. Now it works, but as others have commented, the lack of a boot screen, with no indication that the PC is working properly is unnerving.
Same problem here, in fact i am strugling with the exact same problem as yours, so i decided to open a thread in the hardware section to find a workground about this, i didn´t find the solution. I hope someone can guide us in that so we can enjoy this new release.

You say that now it works?, how, i have installed the final release of mitn 11 and i can not find how to solve this issue by myself.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can use the 'experimental driver' from menu > Administration > Additional Drivers.
Compiz can run out-of-the-box with this driver on all cards that can run the proprietary driver, except the 400/500 series which need firmware with the current version included in Mint.
Using KWin (KDE) you have to disable the blur effect, Ubuntu have not updated the driver after the bug with this effect was fixed.
MSXManiac

Post by MSXManiac »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 11 “Katya”. Linux Mint 11 “Katya” New features at a glance: One click install for multimedia codecs and extra applications The Software Manager UI improvements New splash screen Fonts category More accurate package information More application icons by default More accurate search by default [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1760

Well

I upgraded from Mint 10 to Mint 11 and MintMenu disappear and I don't know how to fix this.

It don't appear in "Add to Panel" itens!

Can someone help me?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Did you upgrade by editing sources.list? Please install a clean Mint 11 and all is OK.
tosh124

Post by tosh124 »

great job peeps! Looks great & fast!

Just 1 slight problem, the realtek wireless drivers are err flaky and unreliable, which is a shame 'cos I love it otherwise :?

Is there any reason why Gparted is never included in any releases? It would be much easier if it were included by default rather than downloading it :)

Col
Last edited by tosh124 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”