Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Badcam

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Post by Badcam »

jaspmatt wrote:Every day when I start my computer GDM puts up windows with no borders that cannot be moved around. The cure is to start the Fusion icon and reload the window manager. If that doesn't do it I have to do a restart GDM from a root terminal. Very frustrating.
I have the very same problem. [ATI graphics - Compiz enabled]. I have to say that I haven't yet tried any of the possible solutions I've read here yet, but this type of bug shouldn't really be there, to be requiring a fix in the first place. 11 looks good though. Hopefully one of these solutions will work, or else an update will eventually cure the issue.

[EDIT] A fresh install, not an upgrade.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Compiz is broken!! Simple as that. Unless someone can put me right, this appears to be an upstream issue that the Mint team can do nothing about. The easiest solution is to not run Compiz at all - at your log-on screen select the default environment as 'no effects' and those problems should all go away. If you want all the flashy, wizzy bits then go back to Mint 10 like I have had to.
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

This solution works and is a lot easier than falling back to Mint 10:

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/how-to-d ... 86-in.html
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Yeah - that's been done since I reverted to Mint 10. Mind you - Compiz wasn't the only issue for me going backwards, but that is useful information thanks.
[`DaGdA`]

Post by [`DaGdA`] »

Hi,

I just switched from Ubuntu 11.04 to LMDE 11, and one thing really impressed me : My network throughput is really faster than before !!

My Wifi jumped from 1.5 MB/s to 2.5 MB/s, and my ethernet from 6.5 MB/s to 9.5 MB/s.

What a great surprise !

I don't really know if it's a linux mint layer fact, or a debian one... but thanks all.

Frederic
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

LMDE 11 does not exist.

Are you using Mint 11 or Mint Debian?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
[`DaGdA`]

Post by [`DaGdA`] »

You're right, it's Mint Debian

Edit : but to explain the mix, even if you've installed the Debian version of Mint, you don't see this information in the system properties. For example System Monitor shows "LinuxMint Release 11 (katya)", so no difference with the other Linux Mint version based on Ubuntu, a bit disturbing !
Why is there no mention of Debian ?
MarkX

Post by MarkX »

evros wrote:hey nice people ! :) why dont you give a muslim girl name for the 12 version, not bored of christian names like, julia, katya etc.. :mrgreen:

i just set mint 11 , had some problems first with wireless but i fixed it, now having a problem with my 1,5TB WD mounting, but i know i will fix it cos the forums help a lot :))

cheers and for 12 or 13 but "Rabia" for upcoming mints :P get more intercultural..
Why of Why would you want to make this about religion. Clearly you know nothing about the release names of Linux Mint. I am also very sure that these guys don't sit around and say hey how can we piss of any group of people. SO so I can help your stupidity out the door, here you go. I hope you can read Evros. All the release names in order.
1.0 Ada 2006-08-27 Has a few origins that I found. Germanic, Noble kind; of the noble sort Hebrew Adornment, African Oldest Daughter
2.0 Barbara 2006-11-13 Greek, Foreign, strange, Latin, Foreign strange
2.1 Bea 2006-12-20 Latin and is short for Beatrix which means Voyager through life
2.2 Bianca 2007-02-20 Italian, White, Fair
3.0 Cassandra 2007-05-30 Greek, she who entangles men. form of Kassandra
3.1 Celena 2007-09-24 Greek, Moon
4.0 Daryna 2007-10-15 Persian, maintain well posses and good (pretty sure the Persians were muslim not sure though). Greek and Ukrainian all have the same meaning as the Persian.
5 Elyssa 2008-06-08 Hebrew, Greek and English all mean My God is a vow
6 Felicia 2008-12-15 Latin, Happy, lucky, fortunate form of felix
7 Gloria 2009-05-26 Latin, Glory
8 Helena 2009-11-28 Greek, form of Helen, wicker, reed, short torch, basket
9 Isadora 2010-05-18[10] Greek, gift of iris
10 Julia 2010-11-12[11] Latin, down-bearded youth from Julius
11 Katya 2011-05-26[12] Greek, Pure from Yekaterina also commonly used in Russia

Now before you want to come to a Linux form and start some propaganda garbage. At least Know the facts and RTFM. Most of those names come from places that were not Christian. The Romans and Greeks were not Christians (latin Nero used to burn christians) and the Greeks worshiped many gods. Now since they are christians today and have been for many centuries and since you are clearly uneducated in your posting (or at least didn't even look at all the names of the releases) Evros you would not know this fact. Now since Linux comes from the West (read carefully, I said it comes from the west not that it was made only for the west!!!! It was made for everyone at least I believe so!!) and western languages are mostly based on Germanic and Latin it would be easy for the west to adopt these names rather than names that come from a completely foreign language such as Arabic. So in short read before you just post trash. Let these great guys at Linux Mint do their job with out thinking about such trivial garbage like you are trying to pedal. One last thing, just because you say so does not make it true.
linuxgeex

Post by linuxgeex »

Congrats on an awesome release!

I've already installed Katya for a couple friends and family members, they've all been pretty happy with it.

There's a couple very small issues I met while installing and demonstrating it.

1) Installing to btrfs failed no matter what partitioning scheme or install option was selected.

2) installing with a B43 wireless card there was no firmware, not even the free open firmware which works at least well enough to download the restricted firmware! =)

3) Mint Menu has a flickering bug when using the search, easy to reproduce - just click in the search box and then raise the mouse into the menu items, it will start oscillating the menu.

4) Asking Nautilus to change the default opening application for text files to Geany gets ignored. Geany is added but does not appear in the list of apps to open with. Removing gedit results in a warning that no application is registered to the mime type, yet properties/application shows Geany associated... Opening the file with Geany from Nautilus results in Geany being launched with a new unnamed file. Dragging a text file into Geany has no effect. Opening the file from file/open works, but not if it is a remote file (this is a regression from Geany 0.19 to .020 on Natty after updating to *-ubuntu2 release.)

Apart from these small headaches, love it. =)
MarkX

Post by MarkX »

linuxgeex wrote:Congrats on an awesome release!

I've already installed Katya for a couple friends and family members, they've all been pretty happy with it.

There's a couple very small issues I met while installing and demonstrating it.

1) Installing to btrfs failed no matter what partitioning scheme or install option was selected.

2) installing with a B43 wireless card there was no firmware, not even the free open firmware which works at least well enough to download the restricted firmware! =)

3) Mint Menu has a flickering bug when using the search, easy to reproduce - just click in the search box and then raise the mouse into the menu items, it will start oscillating the menu.

4) Asking Nautilus to change the default opening application for text files to Geany gets ignored. Geany is added but does not appear in the list of apps to open with. Removing gedit results in a warning that no application is registered to the mime type, yet properties/application shows Geany associated... Opening the file with Geany from Nautilus results in Geany being launched with a new unnamed file. Dragging a text file into Geany has no effect. Opening the file from file/open works, but not if it is a remote file (this is a regression from Geany 0.19 to .020 on Natty after updating to *-ubuntu2 release.)

Apart from these small headaches, love it. =)
Linuxgeex

For the flickering I would try using metacity ui manager. There were/are some issues with the default compiz. I think this may have been fixed in recent updates but I am not sure. I switched when I installed and I am using the actual Nvidia drivers and my system runs great now. I also turned off the overlay scroll bars.

For the B43 card you can try this link.http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43 there are instructions there for various versions of Linux including debian flavors.

For the default text app, there is a discussion here http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-299086.html

I hope this helps
Tannn3r

Post by Tannn3r »

Looks nice. Great work!
murallo

Post by murallo »

congratulations on the latest release
I started using LMDE back when it was a trial and only did 32bit. That was sufficiently useable to make me wish for the 64bit version. Ever since that arrived I have used that version and it is just great. No major problems, everything works just fine and it's also speedy. Only one minor problem which I can work around. I update the system fairly regularly and have a problem with mintupdate trying to delete my nvidia 173 driver and install the later 270/275 driver - which doesn't work with my lowly FX5200 card.
I have recently upgraded my broadband connection with a TP-LINK modem router W8960N together with a USB wireless dongle WN821N which worked amazingly well - order a TD-W300KIT at PC world for £50, a real bargain.

Best Regards

Harry Anderson

Computer config.
Home built mini atx with Intel core 2 duo
21 inch Polaroid TV as monitor
1MB ram 1TB disc
NVIDIA 5200 video
Ancient G4 Powerbook as backup and for mobility
jxmodi

Post by jxmodi »

i m using liniux mint 10 julia through windows installer installing in windows7,
now i want to install linux mint 11 dvd full version through windows installer but it cants come with windows installer :(
so suggest me solution..
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can just use the normal installer by booting from the CD (make sure to delete Mint 10 first - then you can use all disk space available and the bootloader does not get messed up).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
guruwannabe

Post by guruwannabe »

Dear Linux Mint Team,
Thank you for bringing us this wonderful work-out-of-the-box most time Distro!
It is so beautiful and elegant.
Thanks again :D
Windreaver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Windreaver »

I had a chance to install Katya and give it a real good genuine test run. I am very impressed and that's hard to do heh. Great job!! Keep it up. You just gained another user 8)
~Windre4ver~
Asus M4A87TD EVO, AMD Black 4core, GeForce GTX550Ti, 8 Gig RAM, Dual Boot Win7Ultimate/LinuxMint12kde 500Gig HD, 2.5 TB HD.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

lemonhan wrote:Hi everyone! proud to be the member of this great community !! i am LEMONHAN from florida ,Ak,Anchorage,nice to meet you,hope to know more about you.......
Welcome LEMONHAN!
cloggyjohn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cloggyjohn »

I'd been running Ubuntu 11.04 for a short while but came across Mint 11 on a friend's laptop and was completely wowed by it, was so slick looking, so I'm afraid it was bye-bye Ubuntu and hello Mint. I've now done several installations on various laptops and desktops and it couldn't be easier, even for a newbie like me. Thanks a lot Clem and keep up the good work.
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

I've been using Katya for a couple of weeks on an old e machine el1300 that had been rendered POS-NFG by XP.

I love it.

Have noticed a few bugs so far but I don't know how much of it is hardware related (did many of the same things on xp but became unusable).

Very happy for this forum as well.

I've played around with ubuntu for about a year now in a virtual box and it just seemed a bit too "different" from my normal OS's (xp & snow leopard).

Looking forward to converting to 100% linux over time. Hates windows, hate paying for osx.

Thanks again,

miami592
osama_m2s

Post by osama_m2s »

am installing Linux Mint Katya 11 :) Now and i Hope my navidia 525m VGA card works fine >>>>>>>>>

if it dosen't i WILL BACK AND GET HELP FORM HERE :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”