Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
slowcoach

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Post by slowcoach »

LM 11 running great, lovely and fast...
Thought I would put it through it's paces to see if it was as good as it looks, set up a few Virtual Hosts, don't you just love how easy Debian makes setting up a Web Server.
Can't be without Virtualbox, again no problem. Mint, Windows and Web Server all up and running together in no time at all and all running super fast, AMD 6 Cores are the bee's knee's.

Many thanks for a job well done, old slowcoach is well chuffed. :D
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

*Celebrates by dumping the i386-version on VirtualBox* Wooooooooooooooo!

Now, how about some back... uh... side-porting of artwork, desktop-agnostic monkey-business and so on to LMDE? :twisted:
Roku

Post by Roku »

Ive installed LM11 RC some time ago, how do I install final release? I did't installed any updates from yesterday I guess and there isn''t any now so I dont know...
How do I check if I already have final release or not?
eric k

Post by eric k »

Roku wrote:Ive installed LM11 RC some time ago, how do I install final release? There was a few uptades before but nothing big, so Im not sure if I already have final release or not, lol. How can I check it?
If you have the RC installed, and run the updates as they come, you will automatically upgrade to the Final. You can check whether this has happened by opening System Monitor and looking under the "System" tab on the left. It should say Release 11 (katya).
Roku

Post by Roku »

Ok, I checked it. I can't remember when, but it seems like I've installed final release already :D Thank you
atar

Post by atar »

Thanks for the great release! But where's mint4win? I couldn't find it in iso?
clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 11 “Katya”. Linux Mint 11 “Katya” New features at a glance: One click install for multimedia codecs and extra applications The Software Manager UI improvements New splash screen Fonts category More accurate package information More application icons by default More accurate search by default [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1760
raywoods

Post by raywoods »

I first loaded the final release of Mint 11 onto my desktop but I found I quickly had to revert to Mint 10 and only run Mint 11 in a Virtualbox. :(

I quickly discovered the problem with Compiz and eventually managed to revert back to the original set up. (I really must remember to fully read the release notes next time!!)

Then, there are those silly scroll bars, at least they can be removed easily. Mind you, it is a shame they come as standard and not an option; I'm sure they are going to flummox a lot of people.

In previous releases it has been very easy to link your computer to an atomic clock, but not in Mint 11. You forgot to install gnome-time-admin and the ntp stuff Guys!

I use my desktop to do a lot of work on audio files, mainly with Audacity. This is very difficult on Mint 11 because big lumps of Pulse Audio are missing from the distro. :roll: I must admit I never though I would say that about Pulse Audio but I miss it if it isn't there, or an equivalent system for audio set up. Luckily, it just takes a quick dip into the Software Manager to correct the deficiency. :D Mind you I would imagine this would be a show stopper for a Newbe.

Yes, there is a bit too much grey about the desktop but, this can be very easily changed. The rest is very good and works very well. It is just a shame that a few applications , that have been there in the past, are now missing.

I will keep checking Mint 11 in my virtual box and hope it come to life soon. Oh, and by the way I have submitted bug reports regarding Pulse and NTP.
pradhishkumaAR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pradhishkumaAR »

hello frens, noticed that only the cd no codec version has mint4win installer as per the release notes stating it does not support big files, But linuxmint 10 dvd had mint4win in it. Can anyone clarify as i use mint4win as my install mode.
hufter

Post by hufter »

DrKillPatient wrote:As a newcomer to Mint and Linux in general, I know little about the way updates work. I've got Mint 10, is it worth it to upgrade to 11-- or would it be a minor change, not worth a reinstall? Or is there some kind of 'upgrade' feature to go from 10 to 11?
If you don't want new software like Firefox 4 or LibreOffice, you might want to stick with 10 for a while, for better stability. There are still some issues. especially with Compiz (read known problems from release notes).
Mint 11, along with Ubuntu 11.04 are using a development version of Compiz.
DrKillPatient

Post by DrKillPatient »

Is there a KDE release planned for each subsequent Mint version? If, so about how long until Mint 11 gets a KDE version?
eric k

Post by eric k »

DrKillPatient wrote:Is there a KDE release planned for each subsequent Mint version? If, so about how long until Mint 11 gets a KDE version?
Yes, Mint releases a KDE spin based on the current Kubuntu.

When does it release? When it is ready, like the Gnome version that follows on Ubuntu. There isn't a set time table for Mint releases, and since KMint is strictly Boo's baby (correct if I am wrong), it comes out when the man says it's done. That said, there has historically been a gap of at least one month, and usually more.

But always worth the wait.

You can follow the progress on KMint 11 here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=71899
Last edited by eric k on Fri May 27, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

I find an application problem which has shown up in all Ubuntu 11.04 based ditros including the newly installed Katya (stable)
For several years I have used Seamonkey browser , e-ail client and HTML wirte4r , with perfect reliability. In the past it has had some useability features not found in Firefox or Thunderbird.
The latest install of Seamonkey crashes when I try to access a hyperlink in either browser or e-mail clent.
I have switched to using the latest Firefox and Thunderbird. Fortunately these two have updated and are using most of the features pioneered by Netscape and Seamonkey.
Fortunately the new Firefox and Thunderbird will recognize by Netscape bookmarks and Address books, which they did not do in the past.
This problem with the new installs of Seamonkey may be related to the HTML writer that is a part of their internet suite.
However Firefox and Thunderbird are now working for me.
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Thanks to Clem and the team for all their continued hard work.

Sadly LM11 doesn't quite feel right for me (a completely personal opinion). Whilst I know where the problems lie and some of the fixes LM11 just seems a little rough round the edges unfortunately.
Personally I look forward to the days when the Gnome/Unity issues are ironed out.

That said there are the still some awesome other LM environments to enjoy. I've moved back to Mint 10 KDE which is bloody brilliant in its own right!
Beelzebub

Post by Beelzebub »

New user here, been using Linux for a year or so, mostly the server version of Ubuntu on a VPS and my home server. Been running Ubuntu Netbook, then OpenSUSE and finally Linux Mint on my netbook (Asus EEE 1005P).

I must say I am extremely satisfied with the look of Linux Mint, it's a looks a lot better than OpenSUSE 11.04 and I like the grey/white metal look compared to Ubuntus dark/orange. It looks damn good and professional and so far it's been a perfect dist for me, besides the problem with wireless and kernel panic but that isn't really a issue with Mint I suppose and I managed to sort it out.
gogogadget

Post by gogogadget »

Which version do I need to install? The "OEM" or the "32-no codecs"?
And why is it called no-codecs? Does that mean No mp3,wma support anymore?

Edit: ah I have read the description now... I need to download the no-codecs-cd. Wow... and now the codecs arent included anymore like in previous versions?! The integrated codecs made Mint for me and others *the* universal Linux experience, and all on 1 single CD. (Why is CD important? Because the DVD is the first thing which will not work after much use of the disk drives, while CDs still work).

And now this is all gone... Now I might as well use Ubuntu because there is no difference anymore between Ubuntu and Mint. This really sux.
Last edited by gogogadget on Sat May 28, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

gogogadget wrote:Which version do I need to install? The "OEM" or the "32-no codecs"?

And why is it called no-codecs? Does that mean No mp3,wma support anymore?
From the download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
- DVD: The full-featured standard version
- CD No codecs: A version which fits on a CD, without multimedia support and extra applications. For magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses.
- OEM: For manufacturers, to pre-install Linux Mint on computers without setting up a user account.

Windows Installer (mint4win) is only available in the CD No codecs version.
Codecs and Extra applications is only available in the DVD but missing codecs and extra applications can be installed with a simple click of the mouse.
TacBeaver

Post by TacBeaver »

Great job, guys. Just installed LM 11 Katya on a thumbdrive. Looks very nice. Congratulations to the whole team.
However, as I am rather a KDE fan, I will stick to LM10 KDE for a while (till Boo comes with a Katya KDE version).
arjot

Post by arjot »

Nice But I m going to stick with the julia for now.
But I want the wall in the screenshot on the blog.
So please post a link to the wall
Thanks in advance.
glas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glas »

Hate to pour cold water on the celebrations but I'm not having much luck with Mint 11.

The file manger window when opened stays stuck in the top left corner with the task bar out of view. Can't move it or shut it off.

The multiple desktops windows don't work - seems frozen or something.

I tried adjusting monitor resolution but that didn't seem to be the problem.

I installed it on a Packard Bell laptop that runs Mint 10 superbly.

I have been using Linux Mint since Bea and this is the first time for me a fresh install of Linux Mint has misbehaved in this manner.

I'll stick with Julia for now but keep working on Katya!
Freku

Post by Freku »

It works ok, but the black bootscreen forces my screen to display
a "out of sync error" until the Login Screen appears.
Dont see what's so "professional looking" about that.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”