Hello and a vote of thanks

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steve88

Hello and a vote of thanks

Post by steve88 »

This is my first post on this forum so both hello + bit about me.

I came into PC's with the Sinclair ZX 'Spectrum', and more seriously just at the end of the DOS era when windows 3.1 was the incoming revelation. Windows 95 then became the big issue, and things have moved on since. I must say I think Microsoft have contributed greatly to OS's and how PC's are used, (and have made enourmous pots of money and enemies doing it!)

However, when Microsoft rolled out Vista, high street PC shops changed the OS on new PC's overnight, and it was almost 'Vista' or nothing. I decided enough was enough, and committed to building my own PC's and working out how to use Linux with a view to totally abandoning Windows.

The Ubuntu version available at that time made the learning curve less steep than other distro's, but I was not long down the experimentation/learning curve before realising that Linux Mint offered a further welcomed layer of improved functionality, polish, and extra testing/tweaking to overcome shortfalls. I am always experimenting with various other distro's but am now a firm Linux Mint fan, although watching the Gnome3 and gnome shell situation with interest/trepidation.

Apart from building new PC's ( I have four working at home + laptop), I can't resist adopting redundant PC's and improving them and recycling/passing them on to friends and family (no charge!). I have converted a few friends/family to using Linux this way. My home gets quite full of old PC''s and salvaged 'bits' to my wifes annoyance, but this is probably better than adopting donkeys and starting a sanctuary.

My main PC has a Rampage 3 motherboard with Intel i7 980x CPU, WD 600GB Velociraptor HDD, 12GB tri-channel Corsdair DDR3, 1GB Nvidia Graphics, with Linux Mint 9 'Isadora' 64bit as main system + VirtualBox running Windows 7 and XP (work + masochistic perversity). I always include an iCute SATA caddy in one of the optical drive bays on any PC I build, and this helps with easily swapping round several spare drives on which I have installed trial distro's.

Cutting to the chase, what I would really like to say is that, Linux generally has become a burning passion, able to generate feelings ranging from extreme frustration/deep depression, to mind blowing states of joy when it all comes together. Being able to have control of the operating system, desktop and software is so much more refreshing and satisfying than Windows 'one size fits all'.

Hopefully my 65 years entitles me to some joy out of life, and very many thanks to all you guys/girls at Linux Mint for (and in the excellent Linux community generally) for bringing me and many others so much pleasure and enjoyment in what I believe is a fantastic operating system package.

Thanks again and long may you keep up the good work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Hello and a vote of thanks

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums steve88!

I also started with the Sinclair ZX 'Spectrum and still like it a lot, there is a great site for the Spectrum: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/

Cheers.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint Forums steve88. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will also find many Mint users in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels.

That old Sinclair ZX 'Spectrum' was also my very first computer. Shows you that Linux is not only for the young kids. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

I came into PC's with the Sinclair ZX 'Spectrum'
I came via ZX80 couldn't afford an out the box one so it was self assembly, apart from laptops its stayed that way, much rather build than program so mint serves me perfectly

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello steve88,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355

Return to “Introduce Yourself”