Hello from Eureka!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Hello from Eureka!

Post by a_hippie »

Greetings all:

I am trying Mint for the first time on a new, completely un-booted laptop I picked up at Costco.

Yeah, it has some kind of OS already "pre-installed". The bugger even attempted to boot up off the HD! Fortunately I was able to get into the system config and adjust the boot order to look for a USB or CD. The USB didn't work (using Ubuntu USBcreator) but the CD is running, will, slow but steady.

Anyway, I'm Jaye in Eureka, CA. I have used Gnu* since about 1997ish. The last netbook that exploded last night was running Ubuntu LTS Netbook addition. The netbook just sort of signed off with a "tink" sort of noise--shrug. The laptop before that was running LTS Kubuntu. Gravity took that bugger out... My old trusty IBM Thinkpad (OLD!) is running Ubuntu LTS Gnome and is my APRS server. Before I started running Ubuntu, I used Libranet and really miss Jon (RIP). I also ran Debian for years before that and helped in keeping KDE alive with several hackers around the world. How times have changed! KDE got jiggy with KDE3 and then off my radar with KDE4 :( Gnome is the desktop now, but it too is just silly so I may use fluxbox or ice later.

I really enjoy a good forum with good people, good ideas, and solid help. I hope this forum is one such forum. I tend to enjoy helping others master their machines and software and there are times when I also need that help! I also like long walks on the beach . . . :)

The installer is just about finished. Have fun ya'all and I'll look forward to ready some posts after the first official boot sequence.

Regards,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
--
Wishing you well
The-Wizard

Re: Hello from Eureka!

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome Jaye. I think you'll enjoy the forums here. There are many, many friendly and helpful regulars. You may also want to fire up XChat from your menu and check out the Mint IRC channels. A lot of great people there also. A good place to chat and give and receive help.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums Jaye!

Cheers.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Jaye,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355

Return to “Introduce Yourself”