Hi

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HTD

Hi

Post by HTD »

Hello to everyone.

I'm a Linux user since... I can't remember :) I've tried some distros. Gentoo was my first :) Then some Debian adventures on servers at work. Then it came Ubuntu. I was surprised how friendly system it was. And how friendly community it had. And how good it worked. Then there came some bad design decisions from Ubuntu - and Windows 7 from the other side. I quit using system which didn't like my hardware, I started to use Windows 7 which "just worked". Really, exactly like I expected Ubuntu would. But - I'm really a Linux guy :) I like Linux. So I had to give it another try. Mint 10 was almost perfect. It just worked, however, not as fast as Windows 7. I waited for Katya, which was my greatest disappointment. It inherited all of Ubuntu 11 bugs, unstable and slow video, 1 pixel icon bug, broken Compiz, distorted sound in Skype. Well - it was beta version. Which really killed me - was when it was announced the stable version. Well, Mint team did the same as Ubuntu team. Left faithful users with broken version and said there's no problem. I reported bugs, and waited for months to see only one of them fixed (1 pixel icon).

I don't see the future for Ubuntu or Ubuntu-Mint. They went the wrong way. Since I use LMDE, I'm sure. Linux Mint Debian Edition is the way to go. It has plenty of "rough edges", fixing all the bugs in it is impossible for a beginner and quite challenging for a power user, but possible! I made it. With great help from Mint community. So - I've finally found my Linux :) Now I can USE my system instead fighting with it. And it's fast. Windows 7 seems pretty slow now :) (Ubuntu is SNAIL)

What do I do with my computer? :) I earn for living making websites. I prefer to call most of them web applications. Ajax inside. My own framework inside. SOAP and other webservices. I use Komodo Edit at work. To make it usable I needed two things - automatic uploading and good source tree view. So I wrote the add-ons, available at activestate.com.

All the work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, so there's play :) I like games. I'm a huge Fallout and Stalker fan. While on Linux - I waste my time on Desktop Tower Defense online :)

Of course there's time I'm pretty fed up with computers. Then I go out, to walk or ride a bike. To be honest, I need a vacation.

Besides computer and going out I'm a reader. I used to read a lot. Currently - Wiliam Gibson. Again. Reading time is a time beyond reality for me. Vacation from everything. Perfect peace with my mind mounted write-only :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Hi

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint Forums. You may also want to visit the Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You can also visit our IRC channels by opening XChat in the Mint Menu.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums HTD!

I also find that in some ways Mint 10 is better than Mint 11 but I hope the next version improves on that.

Cheers.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello HTD,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355

Return to “Introduce Yourself”