refugee from Gnome 3

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Radioman621
Level 1
Level 1

refugee from Gnome 3

Post by Radioman621 »

I have been using Linux in one flavor or another since mid to late 90's. I think I started with Redhat before there was Fedora, then SuSE (KDE), then Ubuntu, then Fedora. At work we use FreeBSD.

At home I generally have 2 or 3 terminals open on my desktop, and a browser with 3 or more tabs. I never use applications full screen. For this I feel Gnome 3 was a step backwards. It is application centered, not task centered. Gnome 3 should be on a tablet, not a desktop computer. After a few months with Fedora 15 and then 16, my frustration level was at an all time high. I could do anything with Gnome 3 that I could with Gnome 2, but everything took extra steps. I decided that the extra steps to get anything done made using Gnome 3 so irritating that I blew it away and temporarily reinstalled Fedora 14, which felt like a breath of fresh air. Help ObeMint your my only hope.

In other parts of my life, I am a Ham Radio operator NG0G, I home brew my own beer. My favorite is a pre Prohibition Stock ale. Hops is the word. I love well made, coffee. I enjoy Bluegrass music, and listening to baseball games on the radio. And I have a passion for Dirt Track Auto racing. "If you don't have a little dirt in your beer, you are at the wrong track" I am also interested in Astronomy, and Physics.

Back in the 60's, I was a Radioman on a Submarine while in the U.S. Navy. I am a Plankowner of the USS Haddock SSN621.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
soccerz619

Re: refugee from Gnome 3

Post by soccerz619 »

That is the bestreview of Gnome 3 I have read. Where do you work that they use FreeBSD?
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Hi!

It feels like 2011 is the year of the desktop in Linux world. It took me something like ten years to understand where the files went when I hit the save button in a program and now that I know, It's rather cruel I think to just see the desktop I know being ditched. I don't have much experience with other engines apart from Gnome 2 but I'm right now out on the market for a system that is less prone to change than Gnome, maybe Mate but I'm going to try out KDE and xfce and some others too.

ps.
I think the guy who started this thread would like to hear about your experiences of life under the waves:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... +simulator
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Radioman621
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Radioman621 »

soccerz619 wrote:That is the bestreview of Gnome 3 I have read. Where do you work that they use FreeBSD?
Palisade Systems www.palisadesys.com a data loss prevention company in Des Moines Iowa.
Radioman621
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Radioman621 »

soccerz619 wrote:That is the bestreview of Gnome 3 I have read.
Thank You. I just find that everything I do in gnome 3 takes more steps...ie more clicks, more resizing, more drilling down, and on top of it all one additional click that does nothing more then get you off that useless page that is your faux desktop. For me and the way I use my computers this is not a step forward, but two steps back.

If gnome 3 was on a smart phone, or a tablet, and I ran one application at a time, it would be pretty, and get the job done. But I run this on a desktop computer with fair horse power, lots of memory, and with a BIG monitor, just so that I can have several things going on at once and see them all without a lot of dragging, drilling down, resizing, and general piddling around every time I sit down. I can do everything I need to with Gnome 3, it is just more work.

Not sure what the gnome folks were thinking.
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

Radioman621 wrote: Not sure what the gnome folks were thinking.
Nothing. Their head is full of f*ck.

Welcome to the Mint forums. Although I don't get why you chose a distribution which will sadly use the GNOME 3 desktop. I realise that it comes with extensions, but extensions are installable anyway. Is MATE what drew you to us?
Radioman621
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Radioman621 »

[quote="
Welcome to the Mint forums. Although I don't get why you chose a distribution which will sadly use the GNOME 3 desktop. I realise that it comes with extensions, but extensions are installable anyway. Is MATE what drew you to us?[/quote]

Yes it is. I downloaded Mint 12 RC yesterday and will see how it looks at some point this weekend.

Steve
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Oh, today you could have had Mint 12 Final. :lol: Welcome to the Mint Forums. I was born in Des Moines many, many years ago. :mrgreen:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums Radioman621!

Cheers.
Radioman621
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Radioman621 »

tdockery97 wrote:Oh, today you could have had Mint 12 Final. :lol: Welcome to the Mint Forums. I was born in Des Moines many, many years ago. :mrgreen:
I looked this morning and all I see is Mint 11 and Mint 12 RC. I must be getting blind.

I was born in Michigan, grew up in Tucson Arizona, lived and worked in the San Francisco Bay area for 27 years, then in 2004, my wife and I had, had about as much of California as we could stand, sold our house at just the right time, and moved to Iowa. Best move I ever made.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Radioman621,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355

Return to “Introduce Yourself”