A (gasp) Debian convert

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dbbolton

A (gasp) Debian convert

Post by dbbolton »

My name is Daniel. I'm a medical student/Perl programmer/gamer/former Debian enthusiast.

I am no stranger to distro-hopping; I've probably installed 10-20 different GNU/Linux and *BSD systems and tried twice that amount with virtual machines and live CDs. I ultimately settled on Debian and used it exclusively for about 4 years. I chose it because it was something I could depend on. The headaches I had with Ubuntu (most of which involved X or desktop applications) just disappeared when I started using Debian. I really thought it was hands-down the best GNU/Linux system out there.

I got to know how apt (I still think it's the best package management system out there) works pretty well over time, and occasionally submitted patches through the DBTS and even maintained a couple of packages at one point. But after I upgraded to wheezy everything went to hell. It seemed like I was spending more time "fixing" my computer than getting work done. Something had to change.

Why did I decide to try Linux Mint instead of "vanilla" Ubuntu? First of all, I've had some bad experiences with Ubuntu in the past. Secondly, I have seen a handful of articles on Hackernews about how Ubuntu users have been flocking to Mint in droves (it was largely blamed on Unity, but I can't see that being the only reason). I figured the Mint devs had to be doing something right, and I decided to skip being disappointed by Ubuntu again.

So here I am. I'm sure I'll come across the occasional hiccup, as with any distro, and that's why I registered on the forums.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikhou

Re: A (gasp) Debian convert

Post by mikhou »

Welcome. I kind of went the other way in my journey with Linux. I started with Ubuntu-based LM. Then I moved to Debian-based LM. Then I went to straight-up Debian XFCE, and it was my favorite distro for a year or so until I had to buy a new computer (integrated graphics card went out and it was just as cheap to buy a new laptop than to have it repaired). When trying to decide what to put on there, I played with Crunchbang XFCE and found that it was almost identical to my Debian XFCE setup, and so I am currently using #! XFCE.

I still follow the LM forums because there is SO MUCH good info here. I also take a look at all of the new spins that LM brings out. Glad that you're here. I think that you'll like it.

mikhou
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Herpy

Post by Herpy »

Welcome to the fourms!
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums Daniel!

Cheers.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint Forums Daniel.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Daniel,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint

Return to “Introduce Yourself”