Just Another Noob!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Roga Danar

Just Another Noob!

Post by Roga Danar »

Greetings, fellow lab rats!

I'm a career-changing nontraditional student beginning his senior year in a CS program at a large university. So, I figured that it is high time that I start learning UNIX/Linux and recently installed Mint 11 on a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop.

I am quickly learning to appreciate the expedience, elegance, and beauty of living life from the command line. Linux is a welcome change from the miserable existence that my poor eight year-old Dell endured living under the bloated weight of XP. The machine has new life, and I now find myself reaching for it more than the MAC OS X box that resides nearby. As a looooong-time Apple farmer (I only had XP on the Dell out of necessity), I must admit that this came as a surprise. Naturally, I've also begun to experiment with the command line in OS X. I've been there a couple of times before, but only for a short visit.

As you have probably surmised, I'm a huge Trek fan. My favorite episode from the original series was "City on the Edge of Forever". My favorite TNG episode is "The Hunted". As for other incarnations of Trek (DSN, Voyager, etc.) I have no comment on the matter :| .

I'm looking forward to learning from these forums, occasionally posting a question, and--eventually--making a contribution.

Cheers!
R.D.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Another <bleep> Noob!

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to Linux, LinuxMint and the Mint Forums.

Sorry, this Forum Mod <bleeped/edited> the Topic Title . . . it was on the edge of profane. :P
We have Rules and Guidelines to this Forum for a reason ... 'family-oriented' being on of them.

Hope, you'll for give me. :lol: As one, Trekkie to another.
Roga Danar

Re: Another <Linux> Noob!

Post by Roga Danar »

Ha! Nice turn of phrase, mate. :lol: No worries. I just read the Forum Rules. Rest assured that my * has been sent on a permanent 'trek'. :wink:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Just Another Noob!

Post by tdockery97 »

And welcome to the Mint Forums from another Trek fan. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Roga Danar

Post by Roga Danar »

Thanks, td! I'd ask how the weather is in Oregon, but I've been there, so... :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Welcome!

It feels incredibly unoriginal right now being a Star Trek fan Linux Mint user :oops: :D
Roga Danar

Post by Roga Danar »

Thanks, bim! I know what you mean. Truth be told, I'm not really happy unless I'm increasing my geek factor somehow. I was president of the Chess Club in high school after all... :oops:
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums R.D.!

Cheers.
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

Welcome aboard! 8)
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

Roga Danar wrote:endured living under the bloated weight of XP.
Are you kidding me? :lol:

A clean windows XP installation idles at about 70 Mbs of RAM at worst, has a total footprint that counts in MBs (less than a GB) and can smoothly run on processors with less than 1 Ghz clock speed :lol:

Usually bloat comes from the user... :roll:

It's not fair in any way to compare a 10 year old system like XP to a 2011 system like Mint 11, but sure, bloated :roll:

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your new green life -> :mrgreen:
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Roga Danar wrote:I'm not really happy unless I'm increasing my geek factor somehow.
Maybe you should be looking at Slackware, Gentoo or LFS instead of Mint...?
Roga Danar

Post by Roga Danar »

Aethyr wrote:

A clean windows XP installation idles at about 70 Mbs of RAM at worst, has a total footprint that counts in MBs (less than a GB) and can smoothly run on processors with less than 1 Ghz clock speed :lol:

It's not fair in any way to compare a 10 year old system like XP to a 2011 system like Mint 11, but sure, bloated :roll:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Two key words you seem to have missed in my original post to this thread were “Noob” and “student”.

Notwithstanding, it is my opinion (so take it or leave at your leisure) that Windows XP doesn't give non-Jedi users like myself the ability to install the OS with any degree of control. To wit, a novice user can't do a 'minimal' install that just includes the services and features that he needs. Conversely, an advanced user can't perform a 'maximal' install with all of the specific bells and whistles he may need.

Whenever I did a 'clean install' of XP I always got a bunch of services running on my system that I didn't need or want and, no, my Kung Fu was never good enough to turn them off easily. So, you're right; my bloat was—in part—due to “the user”. Why anyone would find that laughable, however, escapes me. But, what the heck, I'll never begrudge a bloke for being easily amused... :twisted:

I define “bloat” as software that is useless on my system. Because Microsoft designs Windows to be installed on millions of systems, with trillions (I'm guesstimating, obviously) of possible configurations, they include a lot of services and features by default that I, for one, would rather do without.

Obviously, your mileage my vary.

XP always ran horribly on my laptop. From the moment I did a clean install, it has always taken forever to start up and the system fan was always running, it has always frozen my system frequently, and it has always taken forever to shut down. Since I've had no similar problems with the Macs I've owned over the past 25 years, it may have been kind of knee-jerk of me to blame XP. Interestingly, XP runs just great (no system freezes at all and very speedy) via vmware fusion on my (admittedly much more powerful) Mac. So, my assessment of XP may very well be an unfair one. XP's behavior on my laptop certainly may be due to the quirks of my particular laptop and my inability to deal with them effectively.

On the other hand, I've been a Windows user since 3.11. I remember how my 386 struggled with it until I upgraded my RAM to 4MB. Soon, I had buy a 486 box to achieve acceptable performance. When Win 95 was released, I had to move up to 16MB RAM plus a Pentium 90 to get anything done. Eventually, Win 98 was released and I had to bump up to 32MB RAM. When XP was released, I had to get at least a Pentium 500 and 256MB of RAM to to achieve acceptable performance. In my experience (and YMMV), Windows has always required the latest hardware or significant RAM upgrades to be usable at all, and this is why I have come to think of it as bloated.

Others Windows users may have had completely different experiences.

I also agree that it's unfair to compare a ten year-old OS to a brand new one. But, so what? I switched from XP to Mint this week. Of course I'm going to compare the two. I never said it was a fair comparison. I was merely excited that my system fan hasn't come on once since installing Mint, and the system hasn't frozen once since the switch. I'm able to actually use my laptop the way it was intended to be used. I'm thrilled and I wanted to share it with a few blokes who might have had a similar experience. That's all.

So, make no mistake, I'm not out to badmouth XP. I honestly don't have a dog in that fight. I was simply trying to share my new found enthusiasm for Mint.

Cheers!
R.D.
Last edited by Roga Danar on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roga Danar

Post by Roga Danar »

gn2 wrote:
Roga Danar wrote:I'm not really happy unless I'm increasing my geek factor somehow.
Maybe you should be looking at Slackware, Gentoo or LFS instead of Mint...?
Better yet, I'll queue up Floyd's "Meddle" (a GREAT, and widely unappreciated work) and call it a day. :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

That is probably the smallest, tiniest, itsy-bitsiest concern to have in the world, that geeks don't think your preferred Linux distro is geeky enough. You'll find ways to live with that. The show must go on.
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

Roga Danar wrote:
Aethyr wrote:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Two key words you seem to have missed in my original post to this thread were “Noob” and “student”.

Notwithstanding, it is my opinion (so take it or leave at your leisure) that Windows XP doesn't give non-Jedi users like myself the ability to install the OS with any degree of control. To wit, a novice user can't do a 'minimal' install that just includes the services and features that he needs. Conversely, an advanced user can't perform a 'maximal' install with all of the specific bells and whistles he may need.

Whenever I did a 'clean install' of XP I always got a bunch of services running on my system that I didn't need or want and, no, my Kung Fu was never good enough to turn them off easily. So, you're right; my bloat was—in part—due to “the user”. Why anyone would find that laughable, however, escapes me. But, what the heck, I'll never begrudge a bloke for being easily amused... :twisted:

I define “bloat” as software that is useless on my system. Because Microsoft designs Windows to be installed on millions of systems, with trillions (I'm guesstimating, obviously) of possible configurations, they include a lot of services and features by default that I, for one, would rather do without.

Obviously, your mileage my vary.

XP always ran horribly on my laptop. From the moment I did a clean install, it has always taken forever to start up and the system fan was always running, it has always frozen my system frequently, and it has always taken forever to shut down. Since I've had no similar problems with the Macs I've owned over the past 25 years, it may have been kind of knee-jerk of me to blame XP. Interestingly, XP runs just great (no system freezes at all and very speedy) via vmware fusion on my (admittedly much more powerful) Mac. So, my assessment of XP may very well be an unfair one. XP's behavior on my laptop certainly may be due to the quirks of my particular laptop and my inability to deal with them effectively.

On the other hand, I've been a Windows user since 3.11. I remember how my 386 struggled with it until I upgraded my RAM to 4MB. Soon, I had buy a 486 box to achieve acceptable performance. When Win 95 was released, I had to move up to 16MB RAM plus a Pentium 90 to get anything done. Eventually, Win 98 was released and I had to bump up to 32MB RAM. When XP was released, I had to get at least a Pentium 500 and 256MB of RAM to to achieve acceptable performance. In my experience (and YMMV), Windows has always required the latest hardware or significant RAM upgrades to be usable at all, and this is why I have come to think of it as bloated.

Others Windows users may have had completely different experiences.

I also agree that it's unfair to compare a ten year-old OS to a brand new one. But, so what? I switched from XP to Mint this week. Of course I'm going to compare the two. I never said it was a fair comparison. I was merely excited that my system fan hasn't come on once since installing Mint, and the system hasn't frozen once since the switch. I'm able to actually use my laptop the way it was intended to be used. I'm thrilled and I wanted to share it with a few blokes who might have had a similar experience. That's all.

So, make no mistake, I'm not out to badmouth XP. I honestly don't have a dog in that fight. I was simply trying to share my new found enthusiasm for Mint.

Cheers!
R.D.
Oh, don't let my admittedly easily excited sense of humour get to you, I mean no ill. I just like to look at everything humorously, laughing is good for your health :mrgreen: And I find the part about Jedi-like powers being required to optimise Windows especially amusing :lol: The only thing I don't take humorously is GNOME Shell, I'm past laughing at the point when I, and more specifically my hardware, is screwed over by crappy software (Windows 7 can also be included in this statement).

And certainly, I'm not here to glorify XP. I know how you feel, since I recently replaced XP with Mint 9 Fluxbox on an 11 year old laptop and it runs like a charm now, in contrast to taking about 10-15 minutes to boot and about 30 minutes to a working (kinda) desktop. However, that XP Installation was about as old as the Old Testament, so God knows what was in there :lol: And yes, I agree that Windows has always been spec-hungry, and it's for a simple reason; It's to keep pushing users to buy new hardware.

PS. If your system fan isn't working, that's worrying. :mrgreen:
Roga Danar

Post by Roga Danar »

Aethyr wrote:And I find the part about Jedi-like powers being required to optimise Windows especially amusing :lol:
Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me. :wink:
Aethyr wrote:PS. If your system fan isn't working, that's worrying. :mrgreen:
I started thinking the exact same thing yesterday after I responded to you. I used a couple of the Linux command line tools to learn a little more about my CPU temp, hard drive temp, etc. and everything looked well within norm. Just to be sure, I held my hand over the vents on the side and bottom of my laptop. Lo and behold, the fan came on. It turned off about a minute after I took my hand off.

Sure, this probably isn't the way Yoda would test the fan, but we Padawan work with what we can. :mrgreen:

Cheers!
R.D.
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

May the (Linux) force be with you and your computers then my young pupil. 8)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

You guys, cannot mix up Star Trek and Star-Wars . . . that's not right !!
:lol:
Roga Danar

Post by Roga Danar »

Darth Danar? No, wait... :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”