Boots to windows @sses!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Draeghonov

Boots to windows @sses!

Post by Draeghonov »

Hey everyone,
by the tite you may have noticed that I'm a fan of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson...
I just couldn't think of a more suitable title to describe how the transition from windows 7 to Lisa has been :wink:

You see,
I'm a regular 37 year old guy from Almere in the Netherlands, I repair and paint cars for a living, have 2 cats and a wife.
Now, when I get home from work, I want to hop on the internet to see what's up in the world and therefore I need a computer.
Yes, I have a smartphone, but I'm too much of a cheapskate to have an internetbundle in my subscription :lol:
So I can only go online @home or in the mall, where they have (free) WiFi.

My cheapskate-ism doesn't stop there:
my pc is a pile of parts gathered by one of my brothers.
The specs:

MSI mobo
Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Hyper threading (yup, I'm a single core n00b)
4 GB RAM~ sort of, due to malfunctioning it has damaged one slot
NVidia 8800 GTS 1024

I think that covers the basics.
Now, My problem was that my pc needed about 6-9 RESTARTS..... per session :(
It constantly crashed, BSOD's were soo freaking random, it wasn't funny anymore...
When the power supply decided to fry itself, I bought a new one, and got one of my brothers to help me out to get my pc up and running again.
The result was a very instable system, running on only 2GB RAM, because more was enough to crash the thing...
We installed W7, and updated it for good measure, so the system would be ready to go.
All was well, until one of the updates was corrupted. It happened before, that was the reason for me not to update my pc in the past, so I was lucky to have made a backup when the system was on a "good" point.

Last week however, the pc decided not to do anything at all.
I only saw the MSI screen, then heard 2 bleeps, and it went back to the MSI screen etc...
Fortunately, my wife's laptop is still functioning, so I decided to google for a suitble W7 replacement from Linux.
Lisa just came out, so I decided to download it, being confident that it was all good, since I used Knoppix like 8 years ago :wink:

Well, it's almost a week that my pc runs on Lisa.
NO problems whatsoever!
I even have all the RAM slots filled; apparently, Linux does a waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better job of using CPU etc.
It boots faster than W7, and now my pc actually shuts down; with W7 it ALWAYS got into a loop, causing it NOT to shut down...

Lisa looks great, works great,the software packages are all I'll ever need, my HD videos play awesome as do my mp3's, I couldn't be any happier :D
Since I'm a n00b at all this, I need to figure out some things, like setting up a network, sharing folders correctly etc.
The only thing that I like to change is the screen resolution.
Iḿ used to 1600*1200, but on Lisa I can only get 1152*854 or something...

But I really wanna thank the developers and the community for making my life less stressfull, because Linus does what I need it to do:

work correctly, nothing more, nothing less

greetz, David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Boots to windows @sses!

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint Forums, David. Glad Mint is working out well for you.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello David,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

as you have discovered Mint runs a lot faster on lower / older spec machines than some leading brands of OS

wizard
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums David!

Cheers.
Draeghonov

Post by Draeghonov »

Thanks for the nice replies :D

Considering this to be my first full week with Linux, I have to admid that my astonishment of what Lisa is capable of is growing by the day.
Unbelievable that I can stress the pc to limits I never thought possible...
I even went live on my brother's pc; very weird that it's faster and more reliable now :lol:

I know I have a mountain of work left to get known to the system, but I have the time :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”