Minty Fresh And New lol!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
freestyle

Minty Fresh And New lol!

Post by freestyle »

Hey everyone whats up? My names Freestile, and I'm new to the forums and pretty much new to mint and linux in general. I'm actually taking a CIS 315 class, and in class we are using fedora 13. I decided to put it on my hp pavilion a1310n just to mess around with it at home. I'm thinking when my class is over I might
jump to whatever fedora is new at that time, but think I might be good with 13 for now, and since I'm using it in class it would be good practice at home.

I wanted to dual boot or possibly triple boot with my macbook pro, but I wasn't sure on which distro to go for, and deciding on mint was just kind of on a whim. I haven'tmessed with it too much, but I'm thinking I'll like it. I'm open to any and all suggestions and if anybody suggest anything else that has good compatibility with macbook and osx lion let me know.

Ubuntu looks kind of cool, but I don't have any experience with it and I'm thinking since I already installed mint
I'll just mess with that. The only problem I ran into is that I couldn't get my wifi to work for anything. I don't know if thats cause I'd have to d/l a certain driver or something. When plugged in with ethernet internet works fine. I'll have to get into that when I can get a chance. Other then that I think theres a lot more I can learn, and I look forward to hopefully being able to get the most out of mint that I can.

Freestyle
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Minty Fresh And New lol!

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Mint and Ubuntu are basically the same (except Mint is more polished and looks and feels better). <---They are both based off the Debian distribution (aka "distro") so they are also the most user friendly because of Debian's package manager, the stability, and security. When you want to install something, if the file is a .deb file, you just double-click to install (it's like Windows' exe files), or if you want to install something from the repositories (aka "repos"), you open up a terminal and type in "sudo apt-get install {name of package}." If you want to remove something "sudo apt-get remove {name of package}" and if you want to reinstall something "sudo apt-get install --reinstall {name of package}." Pretty straight forward.

Fedora is based off the RedHat distro. It uses yum as the package manager to install rpm (RedHat Package Manager) files.
Similar to Debian based distros, you do "sudo yum install {package name}" and "sudo yum remove {package name}" and I don't know how to reinstall packages in Fedora, sorry :|

About your Mac issues, you should read this first to check for compatibility: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Macte ... stallation

What college you in dude? City College of New York here :mrgreen:
Last edited by sagirfahmid3 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums Freestile!

Cheers.
freestyle

Post by freestyle »

Hi everybody. @sagirfahmid3 I'm attending CSUP -Colorado State University of Pueblo. I actually got my associates in cis a while ago and just thought I would continue my education before I get too old. I figured I'd take computers again since I seem to like them quite a bit. When I took linux back then, I dont even think it was called linux, but called unix so its been a while since I messed with anything like this. I'll have to look at the mac section you posted, but I got a little bit of studying and homework I have to do today so I'll have to try to glance at that periodically throughout the day. Would I install the b43 firmware with this command sudo apt-get install b43, not sure if the { } is needed. Didnt know if that was part of the command.

I just started back in school this January so this is really my first semester at the univ. I like my linux class and my professor seems to know alot so that should be okay. I'm only taking two classes which is the CSI 315 linux and MGMT 201, but plan on trying to take two this summer and then once fall comes I'm going to try to take at least three or more classes every semester thereafter. Thanks for the response and the good suggestions and tips.

I think I might need to install the b43 firmware and not the legacy one. Not sure if that will work for the mac and wifi. I'll have to definitely look at that post that has mac info on it. If anybody has any suggestions on any good guides or anything in reference to linux, mint or computers in general that would be good for me to read up on let me know. Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm sure I'll be posting more as I have more questions, and maybe I can get to the point where I can give advice too.

freetyle

Return to “Introduce Yourself”