How do you do.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OldChap

How do you do.

Post by OldChap »

The nickname is descriptive, I fall into the "over fifties" demographic.

I am a keen distributed computing participant and have come here to learn how to use Mint as an OS for such. The by-product of this will, I hope, allow me to branch out into general use. (hence the decision to use Mint in the first place)

My primary questions will be related to things like where to learn about dependencies?, things I need to learn to employ a ramdrive?, making programs run on a particular HDD? etc. etc.

So, greetings to all and in the meantime I'm off to look around the forum to see if there is a thriving jokes page :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do you do.

Post by xenopeek »

Hi OldChap, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for giving Linux Mint a try! There are lots of forum members in the "over fifties" demographic, so you should fit right in :wink:

Ramdrive is easy. On Linux you can mount a directory into memory with tmpfs (it is volatile; all files lost after logging out). A common action is to make /tmp (the temporary files directory) a ramdrive, to decrease hard disk wear. To do so, you would have to edit the /etc/fstab configuration file, like with this command from the terminal:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
And at the end of the file add the following. After reboot your /tmp directory is now mounted into memory (e.g., a ramdrive):

Code: Select all

none /tmp     tmpfs nodev,nosuid,mode=1777 0 0
Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon (and if you haven't installed Cinnamon, see here a recent update for a teaser).

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users :wink:
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums OldChap!

You can also use zram in place of tmpfs, requires less ram at the expense of greater processing overhead if what you write to the zram is compressible: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Zram_disks

Cheers.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
OldChap

Post by OldChap »

Thanks for the welcome guys (for the record and to avoid confusion, in my book gals are guys too)

Wow Vincent, ... a lot of things at once, thank you. I see then that I need to learn the parameters of tmpfs especially if at some time I need to define size of drive. A good place for me to start.

nunol: Ram I have and the prog I want to trial this on is moving info from HDD and compressing ready for onward transmission. I will trial Vincent's way first I think.

Big place this forum, I hope the search tool serves me well, that way If I need to ask questions they can be more specific. :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”