Hi there all

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
count_zero99uk

Hi there all

Post by count_zero99uk »

Hi there,

Ive just finished getting Linux Mint installed on my old Dell Vostro 1015. I was surprised how straight forward it was. :)

Any way im Brian im 34 and am based in the UK. I decided to have a look at Linux in preperation for the Raspberry Pi comming out, though to be fair I may just end up doing on this laptop what i was going to do on that which is programming.

In my youth i used to mess around with Spectrum BASIC and am slightly annoyed at myself for not carrying forward in that field but things move on. I was hoping to once again try my hand at programming. Ive asked on a lot of places about where to start and such, thinking of learning C++ and Python. I have been advised not to bother with C++ till much later and also that Python is an excelent starting language. So hopefully ill be moving forward in that.

I got hold of Eric a Python IDE but it means nothing to me but after seeing these videos for starting on the Raspbery Pi - http://www.youtube.com/user/RaspberryPiTutorials

In this he suggests a program called Geaney which i have now installed and have used :)

So Ill now be looking for more guidence on programming and also what else i can do on Linux.

At the moment i feel a little lost. Things look very different to Win7 or XP. The main thing being the way you get softwear and all that stuff there for you to just install as you need it, cracking :).

Anyway this is me nice to meet you all

Take care
Brian.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Hi there all

Post by The-Wizard »

Hi I too am Brian and from the uk

Welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Brian, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for giving Linux Mint a try and I hope you continue to enjoy using it! Raspberry Pi will certainly be some fun :wink: Python is an excellent choice to pick up programming again, and supported on all major operating systems. Google has a free Python Class online, with examples and lectures: https://code.google.com/edu/languages/g ... ction.html That should get you started in no time :mrgreen: And Geany is a good choice as IDE, but even Gedit works fine for learning it and doing small projects. After Google's Python Class you may want to also use the Hitchhiker’s Guide to Python: http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/index.html

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon (and if you haven't installed Cinnamon, see here the most recent update for a teaser).

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users :wink:
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums Brian!

Python is great to start and there are plenty of good free books.

Cheers.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”