Allow myself to introduce...myself

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chris667

Allow myself to introduce...myself

Post by chris667 »

Hello all

My name's Chris. I live in the UK, on a tiny, tiny boat.

I'm a long-term tinkerer, and have been messing around with Linux on and off since the late nineties; I remember downloading floppy disk images over a dialup modem. Half of them didn't work, of course, and you couldn't really get help without some inadequate screaming "RTFM!" at you on usenet. Thank god that's all over, it's a joy to see what communities have grown up and how well Linux works now.

In my spare time I play the ukulele (badly) and am studying for a degree in computing with the Open University. I'm just here to pick up some new stuff, and ask some questions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Allow myself to introduce...myself

Post by viking777 »

Greetings Chris.

I hope Linux Mint "Floats Your Boat" :D
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums Chris!

Cheers.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

HI welcome to the mint family forums

how small and what region is your boat??

i too have a ukulele [had it for 6 months] still not yet got past first chord..... [not tone deaf just useless fingers]

wizard
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

chris667 wrote: ... Half of them didn't work, of course, and you couldn't really get help without some inadequate screaming "RTFM!" at you on usenet.
If you are new to Mint you might be interested to know that if you get someone telling you RTFM it may not necessarily be an insult - although it still may not be very helpful. For example if you are having a problem with mounting and someone yells RTFM he might mean it literally:

Code: Select all

rtfm mount
Brings up the man page for mount :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Chris, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon (and if you haven't installed Cinnamon, see here the most recent update for a teaser).

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users :wink:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

chris667 wrote:... usenet. Thank god that's all over,...
Remember "PLONK"? :roll:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”