What Backup Solutions do You prefer?

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JamesAC

What Backup Solutions do You prefer?

Post by JamesAC »

We talk about Backup Solutions This week.
And want to know what solutions you guys use.

http://bit.ly/okPEXh

News & Personal Updates
0:04:56 Does Using Windows Make you Dislike Windows?
0:12:03 Debian wins as best distro of 2011. LMDE not far behind then?
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/best-distro-2011
0:14:37 From the Linux Mint Forums: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=78704 “The decision was taken to migrate our KDE and Fluxbox editions to LMDE. Going forward our project will support 2 desktops with a frozen Ubuntu base (Gnome and LXDE) and 4 desktops on top of a rolling Debian base (Gnome, KDE, Xfce and Fluxbox).”
0:15:35 KDE 5 announcements. Will kde 5 be the next kde 4?
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 19315.html
0:20:28 Btrfs will not be the default file systems in Fedora 16 after all.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=OTc2OA
0:23:46 Brian Proffitt has picked his top Linux Distros for 2011. Do you agree (some of us don’t)
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/48 ... ns-for-you

Main Topic
0:28:20 Backup Solutions
Website of the Week
Backup Solutions List
Tip of the Week
This week’s tip allows you to keep to directories synced.
rsync -zvr /var/opt/installation/inventory/ /root/temp
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: What Backup Solutions do You prefer?

Post by tdockery97 »

For simple data such as music, videos, pictures, etc. I simply copy to another partition and/or external storage device.

For my overall distro backup IMO there is nothing better than Clonezilla. I do a Clonezilla backup of my installations every Sunday. Because I like to tinker, borking my installation, though rare, does occasionally happen. I don't have to stress out because I can put it back just the way it was.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
karashata

Post by karashata »

I recently bought a 2 terabyte external hard drive to make backup images on, and I've been using partclone to make those images. Previously I used to only backup my personal data (videos, music, documents, etc.) since I didn't have enough backup disk space to do full image backups. In the future I will likely end up using a mixture of partition images and loose files when I begin to run out of space on my computer's built-in drive.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

I have all 'generic' data (videos, music, documents, etc.) held on a separate data server. I run links to that server from each user's home folder ( permissions and group names are centrally controlled). That data server has a daily backup schedule to external drives using rsync scripts through cron.

On each machine each user has a 'luckybackup' profile (excluding symlinks) to an external drive they run whenever they like (usually weekly) and I keep a Clonezilla copy of each distro immediately post install/setup and after any major upgrade. Usually running/supporting 4-6 distros at a time.

I NEVER tinker with my primary user stuff until it has been tested & works in my 'test' user. Never had a "bork" that I couldn't recover from caused by me! The server once ran uptime of over 4 years (until I changed the motherboard).

rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

+1 for clonezilla - free, fast, and it gets the job done.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Clonezilla weekly and Backintime for daily updates - both to a seperate hard drive.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

I use Remastersys, DropBox, and the old-fashioned copy-and-paste to external media.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

For my system partitions i use qt4-fsarchiver weekly. My personal data are on a second internal HD, i save them on a
external drive.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

rsync, to my external hard drive.
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

i usually just use deja-dup to backup to a external HDD.

Simple, easy to use and encrypted :)
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

External 1 terabyte HD, I have 5 computers backed up in it plus all the artwork I do.
Simple and works well, but I might check out clonzilla also
JamesAC

Post by JamesAC »

yeah clonezilla is pretty sweet I think i'm going to use it to image across my install to an SSD from my HDD when the SSD comes in.
holastickboy

Post by holastickboy »

I like to use external media, and generally just drag and drop. I used to use a CentOS file server, and had my files rsync across the local network, but the electricity it consumed was just too much for what it did. Picked up two cheap 2TB hard drives and back up to those (only to one drive, and rsync that drives contents to the other drive).
maxpolaris

Post by maxpolaris »

I prefer to use manual command line tools like tar rsync and compression utilites.
I'm fascinated by GNU Linux in and of itself. I'm an 18 month Linux Noob (wish I got into this Linux thing 20 years ago!) and want to learn as much as I can about the lower level nuts and bolts of Linux without actually loading up a C Compiler. Yet.

GNU Linux is the OS I've always wanted and dreamed about since around 1984 when I was a Commodore 64 8 Bit noob. :)

Return to “Programming & Development”