Mint Update freezing on UP5

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Lugh

Mint Update freezing on UP5

Post by Lugh »

Mint Update today found out about UP5 for my LMDE Xfce with KDE on top. It says I have 1644 updates. So, I tried it. Well, some of those repositories weren't found, so I didn't do the install. I thought I'd wait until everything would download. So, I've been trying it throughout the day.

Now the icon in the tray is still saying 1644 updates available, but the program won't open. When I click on "Information" it seems to be stuck on "Launching mintUpdate in root mode..." and won't go any further. I can launch Synaptic and it shows the installed packages marked as upgradable, but nothing is selected that "Apply" sees. When it refreshes, it shows the same "failed" repositories that mintUpgrade found. BTW, Synaptic refresh thinks there are 1146 upgrades. I don't know why the two number counts.

I would think that the slowness of the servers might be the problem, but Mint Upgrade isn't getting past the startup in root mode. Mint Upgrade DID upgrade and that's the only thing that did - that I know of.

Any idea? Any alternate ways to doing this upgrade? I'm sure apt-get would do it somehow, but I'm sure of the right command.

Thanks,
Clyde
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Mint Update freezing on UP5

Post by zerozero »

first a note of caution: the mirrors are overloaded and this is not the only report of difficulties getting UP5; if you can postpone the update for a couple days better :)
[and please don't double-post; according to the forum rules i'm deleting the other topic]
Lugh

[Solved] Mint Update freezing on UP5

Post by Lugh »

Sorry about the double post. I didn't notice that I was probably in the wrong place.

I think I have it working. I found the message about the mirrors app to install and installed it. Then I found the "Upgradeable" packages in Synaptic and set all those to upgrade. Then "Applied" in Synaptic. It appears to have downloaded and installed everything - from the .se mirror. (It was reasonably fast too.) After rebooting, Mint Update thinks that my system is up to date.

Everything seems to be running without any problems. I haven't tested everything yet, but it's looking good so far.

Thanks,
Clyde

Return to “LMDE Archive”