[SOLVED] How do I change to a nearest mirror?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
virtualcabeca

[SOLVED] How do I change to a nearest mirror?

Post by virtualcabeca »

Good evening everyone.

My apt-get downloads are coming from the mirror http://mirror.rts-informatique.fr/linux ... an/latest/
I think transfer rate is very slow... Is taking too long to install any program. I guess this is quite simple but i can't find the answer.

I just landed in LMDE, I used Ubuntu but I think it could no longer fulfill my needs. I'm noob in Debian.

How do I change to a nearest mirror? I am in Brazil, and the mirror is in France.

Thank you in advance :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: How do I change to a nearest mirror?

Post by zerozero »

assuming that mintupdate is fully updated try this: open a terminal window and run

Code: Select all

mint-choose-debian-mirror
it will list the available mirrors and the speed allowing you to choose the best (it will default to the fastest but you can pick other if you like)

the process is automatic and the changes to your sources.list will be made immediately without need of your intervention.
virtualcabeca

Re: How do I change to a nearest mirror?

Post by virtualcabeca »

Thank you! It worked.

Only I must add that after selecting the mirror I also needed to run "sudo apt-get update".

I'm using Linux for about a year. This is the first time I post a question on a forum. I hope to continue getting good help from you, until the day that I will have the knowledge to help others.
zerozero

Re: [SOLVED] How do I change to a nearest mirror?

Post by zerozero »

i forgot i thing: welcome to LMDE :D
ketoth

Re: [SOLVED] How do I change to a nearest mirror?

Post by ketoth »

I'm here, I'm here :)
"mirror.rts-informatique.fr" was set behind a CDN (content distribution network) at ~00:00 UTC today. The OVH CDN is in beta. Since you're in Brazil, I think you end up on the relay in Miami or Dallas.
Anyway yes I saw that transfers are VERY slow everywhere, seems like the data is relay-replicated before any sending to the user, and since APT that's lot of little files.. Gonna see if this is cache-related, if nothing good comes out until tonight I will plug the CDN off and reset the normal servers.

I will post in this thread the results and actions taken later today:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&t=114375

Welcome to LMDE :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”