Update pack 6 chat/questions/support thread

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Update pack 6 chat/questions/support thread

Post by darco »

UP6 updated smoothly for me...nice surprise to see this available today!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

moved here, UP6 moved to latest
clem wrote:[...]

PS: Thanks everyone for your feedback, UP6 is going to latest.
Sleven

Post by Sleven »

I logged into LMDE after about a year of being inactive,
the updater found 267 updates which took a while to update.
Then I found this thread about Update pack 6.

What is Update pack 6, do I need it and if so how do I install it?

I also have updater 4.4.7 which is an incorrect version according to this thread.
grraf

Post by grraf »

Did some additional digging regarding my wine problem and i don't think i like the answers :
it seems i need to install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 (for wine'd 32bit d3d to work) but that one insists' on pulling libxvmc1:i386 wich in turn seems to want to uninstall a lot of stuff(from what i can tell it isn't exactly smth i should do :roll: )
Here's what i 'saw' :
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 : Depends: libxvmc1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
~ $ sudo apt-get install libxvmc1:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
mplayer2
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libgl1-nvidia-glx libxvmc1 mplayer nvidia-glx xserver-xorg-video-intel
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libxvmc1:i386 mplayer2
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,619 kB of archives.
After this operation, 62.8 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Any pointers on what i should try next ?
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

Update Pack 6 was promoted from incoming to latest, right? I was testing incoming (as you are aware from my posts earlier) the other week on a 64bit machine. There were quite a many updates (system was up-to-date on UP5).

I saw the facebook post that Update Pack 6 is officially released, so I did an update on my 32bit machine from the latest and there really wasn't really many updates (600+ only). Is incoming still perhaps got more newer packages?

Why I'm suspicious is because I know when I did the 64bit upgrade, I had issues with one of my applications that uses libssl 0.9.8, which was being replaced with libssl 1.0, so it involved me having to modify the .deb to remove the dependency on 0.9.8

Having just upgraded my 32bit machine with the "latest", assuming it is UP6, I had no such issue, and libssl remains at 0.9.8.
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

Upgraded one of my 32bit machines.

Something weird going on with shell scripts now.

I have a sell script called cputemp.sh. It was working prior to the upgrade, but now I can't run it with ./cputemp.sh. I get "-bash: ./cputemp.sh: Permission denied". The script has a #! /bin/sh in it on the first line. There are no odd factors with the file. I can run it as sh cputemp.sh. The file has the x permission set. I can't run it via root either. /bin/sh exists. I'm at a loss why this broke as result of the upgrade.

Any ideas?!?
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

zerozero wrote:can you give us the output of

Code: Select all

apt policy libxrandr2
there's something going on there (i guess that at some point you were playing with experimental :lol: )
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libxrandr2
I guess so. This is my oldest 64bit install system, so perhaps at one point the experimental version got installed (I guess).

Here is what is showing up:
libxrandr2:
Installed: 2:1.3.2-2
Candidate: 2:1.3.2-2
Version table:
*** 2:1.3.2-2 0
500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/ testing/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
kurok

Post by kurok »

Running the xfce version everything went smoothly. I cant be certain but it seems even faster than before. I used the device driver manager to instal the latest PAE kernel and video drivers and all went well. I am really pleased so far.
Great work
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Sleven wrote:I logged into LMDE after about a year of being inactive, [...]
I also have updater 4.4.7 which is an incorrect version according to this thread.
The Sources.list have changed... Gnome 2 has been replaced by Gnome 3... Too much time have past. You should just reinstalle everything with the next iso.

*~* Nvidia Drivers *~*
I can confirm that the new Nvidia driver is still buggy with the suspend/resume function. It's not has bad as it used to be, but when I resume my laptop, and try to open Firefox for example, it took the eternity to do it.
I will not use suspend/resume until next version... :?
grraf

Post by grraf »

Seems i wasn't wrong, d3d wine games do work after installing libxvmc1:i386 and libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 but the nasty consequence is the removal of xserver-xorg-video-nvidia; and on next reboot u only go as far as loading mdm after wich it complains about xserver-xorg not being set ok....
Naturally upon doing a sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nvidia the system reverts to its previous state(libxvmc1:i386 and libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 get unisntalled and replaced with theyr amd64 equivalents)
What i'm asking now : is there a way for ibxvmc1 , libgl1-nvidia-glx to coexist on the system in i386 and amd64 form ?? (multiarch would be the word here ??) and if possible would smb be kind enough to give a step by step how to ??
grraf

Post by grraf »

Spent time reading a few comments regarding the release of up6; So i'd like to know if its true that LMDE-XFCE will be discontinued ??!!
if so can smb point me to that link(missed the news that smth like this was planned) also, is pulling in cinnamon via software manager a valid method to switch to the cinnamon desktop version of lmde? are we supposed to uninstall any xfce components afterwards ??
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

grraf wrote:Spent time reading a few comments regarding the release of up6; So i'd like to know if its true that LMDE-XFCE will be discontinued ??!!
if so can smb point me to that link(missed the news that smth like this was planned) also, is pulling in cinnamon via software manager a valid method to switch to the cinnamon desktop version of lmde? are we supposed to uninstall any xfce components afterwards ??

I didn't hear that? I only saw that they will only be publishing MATE and Cinnamon ISOs. But AFAIK, you can install XFCE manually. Same would apply for GNOME3 (I would suppose). I think XFCE will be around for a long time (although I don't personally use it, but I have tried it, and I have no issues with XFCE)
BucolicBuffalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BucolicBuffalo »

The problem I am having is not being able to print. Temporary files cannot be created. The reason is, my Root partition is now full. That's a 10gig partition. I deleted what I could from the TMP folder but that made almost no difference. Not sure what to do about this. Something is hugely bloated, but what?

Did this.
greg@greg-asus-p5qpro:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up mysql-server-5.5 (5.5.28+dfsg-1) ...
[ ok ] Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
[....] /etc/init.d/mysql: ERROR: The partition with /var/lib/mysql is too full! [FA failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.5 (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.5; however:
Package mysql-server-5.5 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
mysql-server-5.5
mysql-server
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
greg@greg-asus-p5qpro:~$
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

grraf wrote:Spent time reading a few comments regarding the release of up6; So i'd like to know if its true that LMDE-XFCE will be discontinued ??!!
It is true, and here is the blog post (it's buried in the 6th bullet of the news and summary section): http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2237. However, Xfce won't get removed and the only problems could be with Xfce packages developed by Mint (which is, for the most part, only Xfce specific art). Schoelje (who created the Unofficial LMDE KDE - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=113571) is going to pick up maintaining LMDE Xfce (more details here - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=118890).

As for installing cinnamon, you can install the package "mint-meta-debian-cinnamon" and "cinnamon" (IIRC cinnamon is pulled in by the metapackage, but I can't completely remember). It would probably be somewhat better to reinstall, but you do get the Cinnamon desktop. You can uninstall Xfce stuff, but I'd remove stuff with care.
BucolicBuffalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BucolicBuffalo »

I thought this was a thread where maybe we could get some help fixing the problems in Update 6. My mistake apparently. For what it's worth, I tried to find why my root partition was full. The proc directory reports that it is 140.7TB in size. On a 110GB hard drive. Guess it's time for a wipe and new install. :evil:
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

BucolicBuffalo wrote:I thought this was a thread where maybe we could get some help fixing the problems in Update 6. My mistake apparently. For what it's worth, I tried to find why my root partition was full. The proc directory reports that it is 140.7TB in size. On a 110GB hard drive. Guess it's time for a wipe and new install. :evil:
Mine shows up as 0

0 /proc/
PragTob

Post by PragTob »

grraf wrote:Seems i wasn't wrong, d3d wine games do work after installing libxvmc1:i386 and libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 but the nasty consequence is the removal of xserver-xorg-video-nvidia; and on next reboot u only go as far as loading mdm after wich it complains about xserver-xorg not being set ok....
Naturally upon doing a sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nvidia the system reverts to its previous state(libxvmc1:i386 and libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 get unisntalled and replaced with theyr amd64 equivalents)
What i'm asking now : is there a way for ibxvmc1 , libgl1-nvidia-glx to coexist on the system in i386 and amd64 form ?? (multiarch would be the word here ??) and if possible would smb be kind enough to give a step by step how to ??
Same problem here and would be itnerested in a solution ;-)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

BucolicBuffalo wrote:I thought this was a thread where maybe we could get some help fixing the problems in Update 6. My mistake apparently. For what it's worth, I tried to find why my root partition was full. The proc directory reports that it is 140.7TB in size. On a 110GB hard drive. Guess it's time for a wipe and new install. :evil:
like 24 hours after the first post i think this is a bit over-reacting, specially since you don't provide any kind of info in that post.
what about start at least with

df -h
BucolicBuffalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BucolicBuffalo »

zerozero wrote:
like 24 hours after the first post i think this is a bit over-reacting, specially since you don't provide any kind of info in that post.
what about start at least with

df -h
Two posts in this thread actually. The other just up the page 2 posts. I put the lack of replies down to not many viewers of this thread. And that is a problem with the structure of this forum. It's difficult to find just where to post if one is having a problem. A lot easier to back up necessary data and wipe the drive. A new distribution installation was no more wasted time than what I was wasting trying to fix the other install.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Maybe none of us decided to answer your post because they were not correct but aggressive and without any useful information.
You're arrogant and I think ZeroZero was really nice to post a reply for you. :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”