PB with installing the non free Nvidia driver

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kaizer

PB with installing the non free Nvidia driver

Post by kaizer »

Recently I had a suspend issue on my laptop and I fixed it by using nvidia driver insted of nouveau (post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=75548). I installed the proprietary driver manually and today I found that post http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial ... 0%20InboxX which give a better method. I reckon following that method would avoid me in the future to re-install nvidia driver which every kernel update (tell me if I am wrong) so I tried that method but I get that error:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version.
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 nvidia-glx : Depends: libgl1-nvidia-glx (= 275.09.07-1)
E: Broken packages
not sure what I should do to fix that.
Thank you for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: PB with installing the non free Nvidia driver

Post by zerozero »

atm nvidia is broken in testing; you can either wait for the fix (shouldn't take long) or:
- add sid to your sources.list,
- update (don't upgrade
- follow the how-to in the community site;
- disable again sid from the sources.list
kaizer

Post by kaizer »

ah ok,
I will then wait for the fix. Also can you please tell me if my other remark was correct: advantage of following the method described by clem compare to the manual install of the driver I performed?
I reckon following that method would avoid me in the future to re-install nvidia driver which every kernel update (tell me if I am wrong
thank you
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

this is the method i follow as well (and the only that worked for me);
everytime you get a kernel upgrade or a driver upgrade they will be rebuild, no need to reinstall
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

dkms packages should rebuild automatically, but perhaps Debian does not do that (Ubuntu does).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
kaizer

Post by kaizer »

One more questions on that topic. Knowing that the pack 2 is about to arrive in latest what gonna happen to my system: new kernel will destroy my curent nvidia driver (the one I installed manually) so I guess that after update I will have to boot to terminal and perform the proper install of nvidia (with dkms package). Is this correct? or is is there somehing more clever to do?
Is it gonna work if when updates are available I only install nvidi dksm package and then I install the kernel and other package?
thomasmc

Post by thomasmc »

kaizer wrote:One more questions on that topic. Knowing that the pack 2 is about to arrive in latest what gonna happen to my system: new kernel will destroy my curent nvidia driver (the one I installed manually) so I guess that after update I will have to boot to terminal and perform the proper install of nvidia (with dkms package). Is this correct? or is is there somehing more clever to do?
Is it gonna work if when updates are available I only install nvidi dksm package and then I install the kernel and other package?
I can't speak for nvidia, but I installed pack 2, and not only didn't have any effect on my proprietary ATI drivers, it even allowed me to use the latest kernel, which had not worked for me before.
bridaddy69

Post by bridaddy69 »

lmde has the stub installer for using smxi /sgfxi to update kernels and nvidia drivers. It works perfect....just a suggestion...:-)
cooleric1234

Post by cooleric1234 »

bridaddy69 wrote:lmde has the stub installer for using smxi /sgfxi to update kernels and nvidia drivers. It works perfect....just a suggestion...:-)
What package is that? I couldn't find it doing a search on smxi or sgfxi in the software repository. I went to the website and see they usually recommend downloading the latest scripts before you run it each time. Honestly, that kind of defeats the purpose, if I wanted to download something each time I could just do that with the NVIDIA drivers.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

cooleric1234 wrote:
bridaddy69 wrote:lmde has the stub installer for using smxi /sgfxi to update kernels and nvidia drivers. It works perfect....just a suggestion...:-)
What package is that? I couldn't find it doing a search on smxi or sgfxi in the software repository. I went to the website and see they usually recommend downloading the latest scripts before you run it each time. Honestly, that kind of defeats the purpose, if I wanted to download something each time I could just do that with the NVIDIA drivers.
I'm not sure what it says on the webpage, but I do know that if you download sgfxi from the smxi/sgfxi website it updates itself every time you run it. In other words there's no need to manually download anything to get it updated...

Return to “LMDE Archive”