Yep, it's back in testing. But even the (un)official AMD/fglrx wiki's Debian page
isn't quite up-to-date (even though it was last updated 2/Sep) and gives the impression that it is impossible on Debian Wheezy or even Sid till said date, but there's a reference to the Discussion page, which I looked at , especially the part about "xserver 1.12.3-1 rumored to address the segfaults
". So I went crazy 6 days ago and updated through sid (xserver-xorg-core 188.8.131.522-1 with fglrx
-driver 12-6+point-1) because it wasn't in Wheezy yet, and a day later I updated (end of) the discussion page to confirm it works
. My only gripe was that after switching to the iGPU in CCC and restarting X to put it in effect, X wouldn't start, complaining that it can't find the fglrx
module. This is cukoo because it really should be loading the intel module instead. Apparently, it doesn't change xorg.conf, but somehow masks fglrx
. Removing xorg.conf and restarting X gets you back to the intel. aticonfig --initial to recreate xorg.conf and get back on fglrx
. Would probably be worth retesting now that I have rolled back to pure LMDE and updated to UP5.
sobrus wrote:Since LMDE isn't 100% debian testing, just based on it, it would be good to put it back instead of killing off approx 20-30% of userbase. That would render LMDE distro very ureliable.
From what I know, LMDE "latest" is a bit more conservative in terms of updates than Debian testing. And fglrx
was only available in Unstable, at least till 5 days ago when I last checked. So it is still quite fresh in testing. But personally, I think it is more stable and better performing than previous versions, especially given it is a point release, and would likely to be included in *hopefully* coming days. Still, I don't think it's beyond the average LMDE user to get it by (at least temporarily) adding testing to their apt/sources.list
edit: unfortunately t seems like building deb for debian isn't easy. While installer can do this for any debian version - it just doesn't work. I get some "file not found" errors.
I don't know if I am missing something, or it is just broken. Kernel sources installed. It always worked flawlessy on suse
Also from reading the brief notes in discussion page
, it sounds like it hasn't worked since 2009