UPDATE PACK 5 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
naughty_bit

Re: UPDATE PACK 5 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by naughty_bit »

maxibuntu wrote: There is. It is in package gnome-session-bin. The command is gnome-session-properties. However the XDG entry in /usr/share/applications/session-properties.desktop has "NoDisplay=true" and is hidden by default (why?!).

Put this in ~/.local/share/applications/session-properties.desktop:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Icon=session-properties
Categories=System;
Name=Startup Applications
Comment=Choose which applications to start when you log in
Exec=gnome-session-properties
On a sidenote, Gnome3 is still buggy as hell, I recommend XFCE...
Should I create the file? There is no file under such name available.

Thanks for the tips so far.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

clem wrote:
trapper, switch to another mirror.
Can't. I run mint-choose-debian-mirror but all I get is "Current server: http://debian.linuxmint.com (latest)" and a blinking cursor.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

naughty_bit wrote:Should I create the file? There is no file under such name available.
Yes, create the file... It will override the system-wide XDG entry in /usr/share/applications.
ptruchon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ptruchon »

jasmineaura wrote:
ptruchon wrote: Hear Hear! My latest partition satisfies my need for a stable, primary system, while my incoming partition satisfies my curiosity and desire to tinker, play, and break things. You guys take all the time you need! I'm gonna reboot now and head over to incoming to see what's new. :wink:
With /var/cache/apt/archives/ symlinked to a shared store? ;)
Actually, yes! Saved me a lot of bandwidth this morning when I upgraded latest on my two machines since I already had most packages from incoming. :D
naughty_bit

Post by naughty_bit »

maxibuntu wrote: Yes, create the file... It will override the system-wide XDG entry in /usr/share/applications.
Cool, thanks!
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

Well, perhaps not directly LMDE's fault, or even Linux, but.. it is a critical issue. Western Digital drives and the 8-second "IntelliPark" (or rather "StupiPark") issue. And though initially thought to affect the Scorpio Green drives, I've managed to confirm first hand that my ~1 week old laptop with Scorpio Blue 1TB drive is affected. And after a little research found several other Blues affected (recent, and same firmware version), and at least 1 other WD Scorpio Black affected!

I had to disable the feature on the drive's firmware using "idle3ctl" from "idle3tools" package (reverse-engineered from WD's wdidle3 DOS tool), to stop my drive from parking itself silly (it accumulated 3244 Load Cycle count in a few hours - tens of hours use, which was mostly on AC Power!). When I realized it, I was in LMDE, and after few minutes seeing it continuously rise, I immediately disabled it. Should've probably compared the Load Cycle increase rate to Win7 (since I'm dual-booting), but perhaps to be done later.

So for now, it'd be wise to keep an eye on this (critical) bug report on hdparm, which have yet to be "quirked", at least for these drives and perhaps some Seagates (especially the Momentus drives):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/969165
melbo

Post by melbo »

So, since UP5 has hit the regular LMDE sources, what should those of us who upgraded during this testing phase do? My system tells me that I have nothing to upgrade although Update Manager tells me that I'm still at UP4.

Thanks

edit: I just ran mint update again and it does show UP 5 as my system latest.
Apparently, nothing changed since my trial of UP 5 a few days ago.

Nice job guys - my questions come from an expectation of some sort of problems with large updates... LMDE just continues to prove itself! :mrgreen:
caslie

Post by caslie »

Trapper wrote:
clem wrote:
Can't. I run mint-choose-debian-mirror but all I get is "Current server: http://debian.linuxmint.com (latest)" and a blinking cursor.
try this!

sudo (editor) /etc/resolv.conf
comment "#" at the start of every lines and add these lines.

# OpenDNS nameservers
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

Trapper wrote:
clem wrote:
The mirror selector may get a little loopy on days like this. :wink:

There seems to have been a late change in the mint-debian-mirrors package (now at v. 2012.09.17.1) and installing (only) it fixed my frozen-for-a-minute cursor during server evaluation.

The main Mint repo domain is out of service for me now, however, and the other two (.se and .fr) range between 30-50 Kbps so I'm letting others dip in first.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

[quote="misGnomer"
The mirror selector may get a little loopy on days like this. :wink:

There seems to have been a late change in the mint-debian-mirrors package (now at v. 2012.09.17.1) and installing (only) it fixed my frozen-for-a-minute cursor during server evaluation.

The main Mint repo domain is out of service for me now, however, and the other two (.se and .fr) range between 30-50 Kbps so I'm letting others dip in first.[/quote]

Well, it's tomorrow now and things are still the same. Can't get a decent package refresh. If I do happen to get one, I still can't review Update Pack info or begin an update without the updater stalling out because of dropped connections. Same goes for Synaptic and the cli. There are no DNS/internet connection/speed issues here.

Here's what I get when I run mint-choose-debian-mirror:
Current server: http://debian.linuxmint.com (latest)
An error occurred: Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 192412 out of 197732 bytes received
An error occurred: Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 167725 out of 197732 bytes received
An error occurred: Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received
Best server: None
Sometimes when I run it I do get one or 2 servers that show a 20-30 Kbps. That's just simply too slow to reasonably do this UP. Besides, it's only going to hold up for a little while at an even lower speed and then break the connection. I am having difficult fathoming that there is such a large number of people updating that there's tremendous server overload. If that's the case, they all have low resources, to begin with.

It's more like something else is wrong. Like ..... something's screwed up at linuxmint???????
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Trapper wrote:
Sometimes when I run it I do get one or 2 servers that show a 20-30 Kbps. That's just simply too slow to reasonably do this UP. Besides, it's only going to hold up for a little while at an even lower speed and then break the connection. I am having difficult fathoming that there is such a large number of people updating that there's tremendous server overload. If that's the case, they all have low resources, to begin with.

It's more like something else is wrong. Like ..... something's screwed up at linuxmint???????

There is hundred (maybe thousands) of people waiting to download the UP5. More than 1Go of data for everyone... So yes the servers are overlaoded.

Be patient, thanks ;)
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

killer de bug wrote:
Trapper wrote:

There is hundred (maybe thousands) of people waiting to download the UP5. More than 1Go of data for everyone... So yes the servers are overlaoded.

Be patient, thanks ;)
Thinking to myself ...... {{{{{{{{{{{{ I knew we should have made that local mirror of the repos when we considered it a while back. }}}}}}}}}} :D Thanks killer. We've just decided to put this off for a couple of weeks. We have a few machines to do. It can all wait though. I am sure by the time we finish that we'll be good and ready for that local mirror. :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Trapper just note this data shared with us a few hours ago: over 400 GB only in .se yesterday and today.
perf wrote:
mockturtl wrote: A: The server's on fire.
Well, not really on fire, but a significant increase in traffic. This is what it looks like at debian.lth.se (our other mirrors excluded):

16 Sep
Number of requests: 8386
Total size: 8007390737 bytes (7 GB)

17 Sep
Number of requests: 485630
Total size: 442729340945 bytes (412 GB)

18 Sep 11:04
Number of requests: 472436
Total size: 432233012794 bytes (402 GB)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Trapper wrote:Thinking to myself ...... {{{{{{{{{{{{ I knew we should have made that local mirror of the repos when we considered it a while back. }}}}}}}}}} :D Thanks killer. We've just decided to put this off for a couple of weeks. We have a few machines to do. It can all wait though. I am sure by the time we finish that we'll be good and ready for that local mirror. :)

In fact we have just one big problem here !

LMDE is too successful :mrgreen:

(Clem : That's the best distro ever... it should become the main one & the one based on ubuntu should become your hobbies :mrgreen: )
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

killer de bug wrote:
LMDE is too successful :mrgreen:

(Clem : That's the best distro ever... it should become the main one & the one based on ubuntu should become your hobbies :mrgreen: )
Ya don't have to sell me on that! I totally agree. The way I see it, Ubuntu has forcibly sold its users down the river with Unity and sucky Gnome 3 makes matters even worse. I don't agree with supporting or acknowledging them in any positive way, including even using a derivative of Ubuntu releases. Clem could drop Ubuntu based versions tomorrow and I would not shed a single tear. However, I know that others feel differently and cherish the fact that they have an Ubuntu derivative that outclasses Ubuntu itself. To each his own. At least we're all off of Ubuntu. :lol: But, I do wish Clem would prioritize the LMDE derivative over the Ubuntu derivative.
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

zerozero wrote:Trapper just note this data shared with us a few hours ago: over 400 GB only in .se yesterday and today.
*Suddenly reminded to disable adblockplus on *.linuxmint.com , and maybe click a few ads every now and then* :D
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

zerozero wrote:
perf wrote:
mockturtl wrote: A: The server's on fire.
Well, not really on fire, but a significant increase in traffic.
Yes, and they all seem so bogged down so badly that I cannot even install a 15.4 KB utility that I have been attempting to install through 3 different mirrors since yesterday. I finally just went up and downloaded it via my browser and installed it. Anything apt related is all but dead here. Refresh is still even stalling out at between 6-12 items.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I was having major lags while trying to install a 35.8 kB package (kdegraphics-strigi-plugins) and I tried to set my mirrors once and got nothing but the second try worked and I was able to snag my package without problem. I'm thinking I may have found a pause in the action just big enough for me to do what I was trying to get done. Or maybe the servers like me for some odd reason. It sure can't be due to any treats for the chinchillas running the servers because I forgot to pick the treats up. :mrgreen:
static chaser

Post by static chaser »

I concur with Killer de Bug. I downloaded UP5 last night without a hitch. I love this "boring" LMDE. It just works! Thank you Clem and your team for a great distro.
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

Hello,
yesterday i updatet to lmde (xfce) up5. The download was very fast (over 3MB/s -> WOW!) :D
But after downloading an error occure (something about "libavcodec53"). Update from CLI works (apt-get dist-upgrade).
Then after the reboot -> no gui. nvidia kernel-module missing. :( Deinstall en reinstall nvidia driver -> works.
But now i have some strange problems. Desktop-Wallpaper is not always showing, compiz is not always working and after suspend i only have a black screen
and must press ctrl+alt+prtsc+k to kill the xserver. :(
As soon the DVD is released i try a fresh reinstall. I think it was a big "jump" with a lot of things to update. So the chance is very high that something is broken after the update.

BTW: Why you don't include xfce 4.10? It has a lot of bug fixes.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

Return to “LMDE Archive”