We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

Re: We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Post by zerozero »

@turris, i believe that, once update-pack3 is considered good to go to latest those repos will already be mirrored, just my opinion of course, but it makes all the sense.
P.Kosunen

Post by P.Kosunen »

P.Kosunen wrote:Gnome remote desktop stopped working after todays update pack.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=639088

It was this bug.

~/.config/autostart/vino-server.desktop :

Code: Select all

AutostartCondition=GSettings org.gnome.Vino enabled
Commented out AutostartCondition line as workaround.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I will put this post here because I see someone else had the same problem earlier on, but I didn't pick up on what the fix was.

I now have two versions of LMDE a 64bit originally tracking 'incoming' which I have successfully changed to 'testing' and a 32bit which I have this morning changed from 'testing' to 'incoming' but this isn't successful, every time I update I get the following warning:
Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/debian/di ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/debian/di ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
The relevant line in sources.list is:
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport romeo
Which seems to work everywhere else I have used it, so why not here?

I have installed mintupdate-debian, btw.

Edit. I have solved this now. I actually had packages.linuxmint.com listed twice in sources.list. When I deleted the second one the warnings go away. Though I have no idea why this should be, I would have thought that if the same address is listed twice then it would be checked for updates twice, but apparently not.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Installed the september respin. Tried changing the repo to point to INCOMING but download the update pack takes more than 8hours??! :roll:

Im from the philippines.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Download speed has improved by using synaptic and going to preference> pull down the mint server button and choose the best server then try and enabling the "mark all button" on synaptic to make updating via incoming more manageable.
xircon

Post by xircon »

aljoriz wrote:Installed the september respin. Tried changing the repo to point to INCOMING but download the update pack takes more than 8hours??! :roll:

Im from the philippines.
I have a lot of things installed (Gnome, KDE and XFCE) and update pack 3 for me was huge, but 8 hours seems a bit ridiculous! What is it down to now? Think mine took a couple of hours to install from start to finish, but was doing other things, so can't be sure.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

2-3hours I guess no sleep for me today
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Finally installed ... I noticed foomatic something was with held for update. Is this correct for incoming?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

yes aljoriz, foomatic-db-engine is on hold in incoming, not to worry about :)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

i'm on the default "latest" update packs...waiting for the release from "incoming"...
was curious....did you have to change your sources before updating? (Clem mentions that "latest" will need to do that before installing update pack 3 and that he is trying to set it to switch over automatically)...

also, how many updates are there in pack3? and i was also curious...any updates to the kernel?
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

craig10x wrote:i'm on the default "latest" update packs...waiting for the release from "incoming"...
was curious....did you have to change your sources before updating? (Clem mentions that "latest" will need to do that before installing update pack 3 and that he is trying to set it to switch over automatically)...

also, how many updates are there in pack3? and i was also curious...any updates to the kernel?
yes, kernel will be upgraded to 3, after upgrade to pack3

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p466943

how many update? I remember in range of high 300 to 400. read this
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p467329
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thank you, wayne :)
baiki

Post by baiki »

grizzler wrote:
wayne128 wrote:Reboot, test USB drive again. no more kernel panic, great to see it resolved.
Hate to disappoint you, but it isn't. Not for me anyway. When I safely remove my external hd, the kernel panics just as before.

I started at the other end of the list this time (i.e. I clicked and selected safely remove on an icon of one of the ext4 partitions). It seemed to go well at first, but then an error was reported about not being able to remove/dismount the (only) NTFS partition because it was busy (which it wasn't). I tried safely remove on that partition's icon (the only one still showing up on the desktop) and poof!

So it seems an external hd with more than one partition and at least one NTFS partition can still not be safely removed normally.
Hello,
I do experience the same (well, almost). Got several ext. USB HDD's but one always gives panic. I realised that this particular WD harddisc goes very very fast to "sleep" mode. If I try to safely remove this "dormant" device, kernel panic. Others are fine. Now, today I used my ext. CD/DVD writer and guess what... after burning an ISO, Brasero tried to eject disc after successfull operation and... kernel panic. But this time a simple ALT-F7 did the trick.
Any solutions for this issue?
Baiki
Ralf1e

Post by Ralf1e »

This bright idea seems to have trashed my LMDE 64 bit system update manager which disappears when I tell it it can remove the 5 packages it wants to take off and replace them with 56 others. Nice work chaps. I hope this is still going to be usable or I may end up out of business :-)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Ralf1e, can you be more specific about the problem you are facing? in what circumstances that happened? updating to UP3? MU disappeared, can't you open it again? did you try to reboot and try again? the error still persists?

last but not least if you try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
what is the output
jompa89

Post by jompa89 »

This might not be a problem but I have a feeling that there is to few updates coming to my system. When I ran apt-get dist-upgrade after two weeks of not updating there was only two updates. Is this right? I got the impression that there would be more updates in the incoming repo.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

No, the incoming repo also uses update packs and the last one (#3) was over a month ago. I'm considering going back to Testing...
posco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by posco »

Does anyone have the repos that we need to move over to Testing as opposed to the Incoming that I am on now?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

posco, just before you do the jump :lol: what kind of graphics card you use? if it's nvidia, i don't advice to go to testing atm, xserver+nvidia is broken, you have to use nouveau.

Return to “LMDE Archive”