We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wyrdoak

Re: We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Post by wyrdoak »

So far there are two things giving me a problem, Bluez said Pulse Audio will not load the some audio mod for my Bluetooth headset. And Google Chrome Browser Stable will not stay in my Menu. I had to make a Desktop Launcher. And the system will not let it be my default browser.

Had some conflict with the Totem plugins in the Chrome browser I just disabled them, thinks seem to be working OK now.

And the worst one of all "No wobbly Windows" can't have a distro' without wobbly windows :lol: No I can live without it but it would be fun to have it, I think it might be something to do with OpenGL and the Intel drivers, for Cairo Dock was giving me a hard time for a minute about it a Magacity that I haven't used it, but I got the Dock to work.

Having fun so far. Seems to running at least 20% less system resources than what I'm running with Linux Mint 10.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

OK, fixed my Bluez problem with: pulseaudio-module-bluetooth 0.9.21-4
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

and for intel and compiz you can follow this how-to http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=55165
tompravi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tompravi »

I've changed the sources.list and I tried :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mintupdate-debian
I had the message :

E: Release file expired, ignoring [url]http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/dists/testing/Release[/url](invalid since 1d 7h 28min 24s)
Then I tried :

sudo apt-get update
I had the message :
E: Release file expired, ignoring
(invalid since 1d 7h 28min 42s)
After that :

sudo apt-get install mintupdate-debian
and I had the following message :

E: Unable to locate package mintupdate-debian
I don't know what to do.

My sources.list file:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport romeo
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

tompravi, follow this please (my post, but specially the one bellow by SimonTS) http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p447534
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I asked the same question. ZeroZero was kind enough to answer me about 8 posts back.

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80mintupdate-debian
Just put one line in there;-
Acquire::Check-Valid-Until "false";
Save it and you should be good to go.
tompravi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tompravi »

Thank you for your reply.
I'm in the "apt-get dist-upgrade" step. Waiting for this ...
tompravi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tompravi »

The System is upgraded. Everything seems ok.
It has regongnized, after the reboot, my video card, my two monitors. Excelent work...
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I followed your suggestion about Intel, set up Compiz and now have wobbly windows, :D

There was a new update that came up for Google Chrome, that install correctly so it will now work as default.

Flash Player is a little glitchy running some for the games on Facebook but you can never tell if it's them or you and 9 times out of 10 it's their site.

Everything seems to be running 5X5 now.

Need to test it for composting and burning a DVD, that's hard work for a NetBook will try another day.
bigdee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bigdee »

ZeroZero,
I have been reading all your expert advice to wyroak, SimonTS and tompravi and putting it into practice on my system and I am pleased to say I too am now a fully fledged guinea pig. :D

Thanks a bunch.
DAVID
acithium

Post by acithium »

I've got a Dell Inspiron 1520 and everything seems to work okay (using incoming repo). No nvidia, but hey, I don't really need graphics acceleration right now. I have noticed that my system runs a couple degrees warmer than Mint 10, but nothing unsafe/damaging.

Question: I'm a Google Chrome user, do you know how quick the current versions of Google Chrome is added to the repo?? I know i can grab it off the site or download it from the repo, but how long does it normally take for the newest stable to get thrown on the repo?

Thanks
-Acithi
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Chrome from Google's website uses Google's repository to get its updates from; it does not come from the Mint repository though it may seem to be a Mint update. That way you get the updates immediately. But this is off-topic. If you're having more questions about Chrome then please open a new topic.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I'm taking time to play around with things now that everything is working.

the gdm seems to have a lower resolution than anything else including GRUB

Is it locked out in testing for I can't seem to change the wallpaper or theme, I like the wallpaper but when in use it I would like to tone it down a few candle power, too many years work at night.

Also found another user in gdm called: weezy/sid can't find him anywhere else but he's there in the gdm and we are sharing the same password and home directory. I'm using his desktop now.

Edit: weezy/sid is not a user but a different computer system, with my profile on the same hardware.

UpDate: OK, I have the laptop monitor set to the right resolution in gdm3, but the external monitor I can't get to set to the right resolution. If I have them both on at once I can't get a clone all I can get is extended desktop.
Last edited by wyrdoak on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

Just re-set up my bedroom htpc with LMDE based on the "latest" repo, and it worked flawlessly. No breakages (not even xchat, which has happened every time I've reinstalled and reupgraded), fully up-to-date, and it actually uses less RAM at idle than before (now it sits between 180-200mb regardless of uptime ... ridiculous). Waiting for my first "monthly batch" upgrade to see how that works out.

On a side note, I noticed that the upgrade still did not include the 2.6.39 kernel headers. I thought for sure that because Mint was maintaining their own repo that they would include the headers Debian missed to fill in the gaps on a seamless upgrade. That was the only flaw I noticed though, great work all around.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

There seem to be wierd differences between different users going on. I have just installed my system again to put LMDE 'Incoming' as my main distro and, yet again, I got kernel 2.6.39-2 installed automatically. What I did notice is that the upgrade procedure seem to bork my fstab file a bit - double entry for 'proc' and it puts a second entry for / on sda1 and swap on sda2 with UUIDs that don't even exist on my system. Easy enough for me to fix, but slightly annoying.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

SimonTS wrote:There seem to be wierd differences between different users going on. I have just installed my system again to put LMDE 'Incoming' as my main distro and, yet again, I got kernel 2.6.39-2 installed automatically. What I did notice is that the upgrade procedure seem to bork my fstab file a bit - double entry for 'proc' and it puts a second entry for / on sda1 and swap on sda2 with UUIDs that don't even exist on my system. Easy enough for me to fix, but slightly annoying.
Were the headers installed as well? The problem I (and many other users) faced is that only the linux-image file was installed with the update.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

LifeInTheGrey wrote:
SimonTS wrote:There seem to be wierd differences between different users going on. I have just installed my system again to put LMDE 'Incoming' as my main distro and, yet again, I got kernel 2.6.39-2 installed automatically. What I did notice is that the upgrade procedure seem to bork my fstab file a bit - double entry for 'proc' and it puts a second entry for / on sda1 and swap on sda2 with UUIDs that don't even exist on my system. Easy enough for me to fix, but slightly annoying.
Were the headers installed as well? The problem I (and many other users) faced is that only the linux-image file was installed with the update.

run a quick check in synaptic,

yes, the headers were installed via upgrade for my 32-bit pae-kernel

This package provides the architecture-specific kernel header files for
Linux kernel 2.6.39-2-686-pae, generally used for building out-of-tree
kernel modules. These files are going to be installed into
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.39-2-686-pae, and can be used for building
modules that load into the kernel provided by the
linux-image-2.6.39-2-686-pae package.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

After carrying out nothing other than the initial upgrade route on my 64-bit laptop, I have the following installed according to Synaptic;-
linux-headers-2.6-amd64
linux-headers-2.6.32-5-amd64
linux-headers-2.6.39-2-common
linux-kbuild-2.6.32
linux-kbuild-2.6.39
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have my LMDX set to the new Mint-Debian-testing 'latest' repros -- and I just received this 'bug' error message after an apt-get update
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXDestroyPixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!
What's this about? :(
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

SimonTS wrote:After carrying out nothing other than the initial upgrade route on my 64-bit laptop, I have the following installed according to Synaptic;-
linux-headers-2.6-amd64
linux-kbuild-2.6.32
linux-kbuild-2.6.39
Ah, yeah my 64-bit machines did not have the headers problem, only the 32-bit.

The post that mentioned it had been installed for the 686-pae upon the upgrade ... thats interesting. Wonder why mine did not.

Return to “LMDE Archive”