We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Ralf1e

Re: We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Post by Ralf1e »

Last night pointed to the latest repo as per zerozero's posting
All seemed well but I had no sound this morning from the internet and no flash player (sound player is ok)
Put the code into terminal for flash player and firefox as shown on the update pack 1 advice and now my opening page has lost all the linux mint bookmarks from the bookmarks tab and the bookmarks toolbar.
Can I get the bookmarks toolbar back to how it was as default so I can get the link to the forums etc without going round the houses or is it lost until I re-install.
Incidentally, the copied and pasted first line of the repros in the zerozero post i.e.
(deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import) doesn't show in my source list in mint update. Is this correct or has it gone awol?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Ralf1e, i can at least answer to the last one, that repo is in the first tab of the software sources

bigdee wrote:ZeroZero,
I have been reading all your expert advice to wyroak, SimonTS and tompravi and putting it into practice on my system and I am pleased to say I too am now a fully fledged guinea pig. :D

Thanks a bunch.
welcome aboard mate :lol:
vrkalak wrote:I have my LMDX set to the new Mint-Debian-testing 'latest' repros -- and I just received this 'bug' error message after an apt-get update
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXDestroyPixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!
What's this about? :(
vrkalak, that error message is related with compiz (and essentially with intel graphic cards)- apparently is just a silly warning and compiz runs fine
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

For my external monitor glitch, here's what I've tried so far:
Because the Intel 945 chipset/driver only support a total combined size of 2048x2048 pixels.

I had to make /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45custom_xrandr
---------------------------------------------------
xrandr | grep VGA1 | grep " connected "
if [$? -eq 0]; then
# External monitor is connected
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1680x1050 --pos 0x0 --output LVDS1 --off
if [$? -ne 0]; then
# Something went wrong. Autoconfigure the internal monitor and disable the external one
xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --output VGA1 --off
fi
else
# External monitor is not connected
xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --output VGA1 --off
fi
-------------------------------------------------------

Now the wallpaper is sharp and all the edges are sharp, but the gdm3 theme and icons are still not the right size for the resolution.
Guess there is something I'm not getting in the loading sequence.

Update: I went ahead and did a "ctrl+alt+F1"
su

/etc/init.d/gdm3 stop

cd/etc/X11/

Xorg -configure

Fatal: Module "fbcon" not found
Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices

I'm assuming that means Xorg is not detecting my external monitor, after all?
Last edited by wyrdoak on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whirly

Post by whirly »

happy guinea pig here. i borked everything last week--then ended up with the terminal asking me to log in and going nowhere. |I tried every fix listed from 'top' to removing mesa so i went to my katya, re parted some space, installed lmde again (it's fun now that i've done a few times) re pointed synaptic to the appropriate repos got all the updating upped. and am very pleased with all that is going on around here. i have a very small issue with my stuff not looking like eveyone else's stuff. the few screenshots of the new mintupdate look quite a bit fancier than mine. I'm blaming Canada, as i'm using the fastest downloading repositories instead of the main one. I also am so new to this i have managed to use the gui to replace what zerozero supplied terminal commands for i think it went 'gksudo gedit sources...' so if you're keeping track of how many are doing the testing, add me. If i need to do anything else tell me. otherwise i'll happily lurk and learn.

thanks for all the effort
whirly
whirly

Post by whirly »

oops i have a differently (maybe UK) spec'd acer 6930 with two t 6400's 4gigsram 320g hdd and i'm triple boooting vista katya and lmde my kernel upgraded itself after that fix apt install -f
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That the model number is the same, does not mean that the laptop is the same. For many Acer model numbers, there are laptops out that are quite different inside. For example, the wireless card can be another brand or there's another graphics card installed (generally from the same manufacturer and the same family) - the CPU is mostly the same type but the clock speed may differ. And this is not dependent on the country where you buy the computer.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
tompravi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tompravi »

About "Restart" and "Halt-Shutdown"....
Restart
The "restart" from console or xwindows : First the message "Will now restart with kexec. [ 44.720193] starting new kernel" and then the screen freezes with coloured lines.

Halt-Shutdown
It works ok.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

for the restart, that's a known issues. Go to terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove kexec-tools
would be able to address the issue
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

whirly wrote:h i borked everything last week--then ended up with the terminal asking me to log in and going nowhere. |I tried every fix listed from 'top' to removing mesa so i went to my katya, re parted some space, installed lmde again (it's fun now that i've done a few times) re pointed synaptic to the appropriate repos got all the updating upped.
Basically, the same thing happened top me ... b0rked the LMDE-OS.

The spash-screen would work but at the Log-in screen ... nothing. Couldn't move the cursor nor type.
Going back to try and Log-in via the Safe-Mode ... from the terminal, again, nothing.

Re-installed a new LMDE, added the new mint-debian 'incoming' repros (before any updates), installed the new Mint-Updater ... updating now.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

It's so reassuring when this happens to someone who has been here for years and actually knows what they are doing :shock:
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

I had it once keyboard and cursor not working in Login screen. It took me days to find out what was wrong. It was a udev
problem. The fix was booting the recovery mode. In the terminal i had to run:

telinit 5
(instead of the normal runlevel)
and got a working system. Next step:

ls -l /etc/rc*.d/*udev*
the result was sth like this:

# ls -l /etc/rc*.d/*udev*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19  4. Jul 23:27 /etc/rc0.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 29. Jun 21:39 /etc/rc0.d/K02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19  4. Jul 23:27 /etc/rc1.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 29. Jun 21:39 /etc/rc1.d/K02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 23. Aug 22:06 /etc/rc2.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 13. Sep 22:28 /etc/rc2.d/S02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19  4. Jul 23:27 /etc/rc3.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 29. Jun 21:39 /etc/rc3.d/K02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19  4. Jul 23:27 /etc/rc4.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 29. Jun 21:39 /etc/rc4.d/K02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 20. Sep 21:47 /etc/rc5.d/S02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 20. Sep 23:33 /etc/rc5.d/S13udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19  4. Jul 23:27 /etc/rc6.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 29. Jun 21:39 /etc/rc6.d/K02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 24. Feb 2010  /etc/rcS.d/S02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 25. Feb 2010  /etc/rcS.d/S13udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
I deleted the udev links from rc0 - rc6. Only rcS.d is needed.

Reboot and the system was fine again.
tompravi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tompravi »

About "restart" problem ...
I've removed kexec-tools and the system restarts normally.
Thank you for the advice.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Sorry I'm late to the party here but it's been awhile since I perused the threads in general so I missed this one.

When I first read about the new update system I formatted one of my test partitions (ext4) and installed the 64 bit, Dec 2010 release of LMDE, added the new update package repos to my "sources.list" and pointed my updates to the new "Latest" repository before performing the the initial update. I'm already well versed with 3 ring circus of updating the Dec 2010 release straight from "Debian Testing" so there was no reason to repeat the experience. In short, performing the the initial update using the new "latest" repository was little better with well over 1100 updates and basically the same 3 ring circus except with a few different performers thrown in :D (excerpt from my post in the Update Pack 1 Feedback thread):
8 broken packages and 2 failures by the new MintUpdate to complete the update. However, after installing the original 8 month old release of LMDE a half a dozen times over the past 2 months (just trying new stuff out) I fully expected this to happen and between Synaptic and the terminal I completed the update. To make matters a bit more complicated there were also a few, what I would consider (for everyday users) major tweaks, before I could get LMDE with the revamped update system to boot up without seeing several errors during the boot up process. It always succeeded booting into the desktop but the boot up errors had to be fixed nonetheless. It's been running fine since then with the exception of having no login sound but I also expected this.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p449463

So at this moment the system is still running fine with updates now coming from the "Incoming" repository with the 2 exceptions:

>Still no login sound (login sound stopped working with my previous LMDE install updating from Debian Testing so I wasn't surprised)

>Have to run the latest Liquorix kernel because the 2.6.39-2 kernel coming out of Debian Testing is unable to "Safely remove drive" a USB external HDD without causing an apparent kernel panic (doesn't unmount the drive first) which completely locks the system.

I'm hoping that update pack 2 will solve the kernel problem.

I don't particularly want to dwell on the initial install and update problems since most of us know that the previous 8 month old LMDE release is simply not viable any longer as far doing a fresh install is concerned. I just needed to get a working LMDE system again so I could test out the new update system. So if you don't mind, I'll join the crew.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I haven't said anything on the USB harddrive problem, for it's already been addressed, If I try "safely remove drive" I get the panic. A quick punch of the power button gets me back the the gdm and longon without a full reboot.

I think the system is just backwards :) If I just pull the connector out of the USB port system acts normal. Seems like it should be the other way around though. I don't use the drive except for data it's not like the system is accessing it all the time, to mess it up with a write back buffer problem.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

wyrdoak wrote:I haven't said anything on the USB harddrive problem, for it's already been addressed, If I try "safely remove drive" I get the panic. A quick punch of the power button gets me back the the gdm and longon without a full reboot.

I think the system is just backwards :) If I just pull the connector out of the USB port system acts normal. Seems like it should be the other way around though. I don't use the drive except for data it's not like the system is accessing it all the time, to mess it up with a write back buffer problem.
I just go into Nautilus and unmount the drive there. Heads park and I can disconnect--whatever works. Glad to hear the problem has been addressed. On Debian's end I take it?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Guys, my intention has been to move to LMDE because I love the idea of installing once and being done with it. I have been using Mint since 7 and have had very few issues to speak of = most mistakes were my fault made by "learning" linux. Anyway, I don't know anything about debian and if I do a fresh install, are these changes listed here already made? What will I need to do I guess is what I am asking taking into consideration I will be a debian newbie pretty much. I installed lmde right after it came out on my old laptop and I have so many issues with the drivers that I ditched it. Anywho, installing Mint 11 was an absolute breeze on this dell xps [702x] as my drivers were bundled with the kernel. Thanks for your help and input. I thought I would post the output of lspci in the hopes that someone could tell me how to get the drivers going.

robin@robin-Dell-System-XPS-L702X ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM67 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0dcd (rev a1)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (rev 34)
04:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)
0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

z06gal wrote:Guys, my intention has been to move to LMDE because I love the idea of installing once and being done with it. I have been using Mint since 7 and have had very few issues to speak of = most mistakes were my fault made by "learning" linux. Anyway, I don't know anything about debian and if I do a fresh install, are these changes listed here already made? What will I need to do I guess is what I am asking taking into consideration I will be a debian newbie pretty much. I installed lmde right after it came out on my old laptop and I have so many issues with the drivers that I ditched it. Anywho, installing Mint 11 was an absolute breeze on this dell xps [702x] as my drivers were bundled with the kernel. Thanks for your help and input. I thought I would post the output of lspci in the hopes that someone could tell me how to get the drivers going.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM67 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
04:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)
0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
The first thing I would highly recommend is to wait until the new respin (due out fairly soon) is released before installing LMDE again (I certainly wouldn't recommend attempting to install the 8 month old release on your main machine). Chances are that you'll experience something a lot closer to what you experienced installing LM 11 with the exception of having to install the Nvidia proprietary drivers manually (easily done though). And the new release should include a kernel that's actually newer than the one included with LM11, btw

Right now all these changes you're hearing about have to be done manually to the previous, already installed LMDE release and judging by what you wrote, this is probably something you don't want to tackle--trust me. :D However, as I said previously, the "respin" should be out soon enough.

Shouldn't be a long wait at all.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

kmb42vt wrote:
z06gal wrote:Guys, my intention has been to move to LMDE because I love the idea of installing once and being done with it. I have been using Mint since 7 and have had very few issues to speak of = most mistakes were my fault made by "learning" linux. Anyway, I don't know anything about debian and if I do a fresh install, are these changes listed here already made? What will I need to do I guess is what I am asking taking into consideration I will be a debian newbie pretty much. I installed lmde right after it came out on my old laptop and I have so many issues with the drivers that I ditched it. Anywho, installing Mint 11 was an absolute breeze on this dell xps [702x] as my drivers were bundled with the kernel. Thanks for your help and input. I thought I would post the output of lspci in the hopes that someone could tell me how to get the drivers going.

The first thing I would highly recommend is to wait until the new respin (due out fairly soon) is released before installing LMDE again (I certainly wouldn't recommend attempting to install the 8 month old release on your main machine). Chances are that you'll experience something a lot closer to what you experienced installing LM 11 with the exception of having to install the Nvidia proprietary drivers manually (easily done though). And the new release should include a kernel that's actually newer than the one included with LM11, btw

Right now all these changes you're hearing about have to be done manually to the previous, already installed LMDE release and judging by what you wrote, this is probably something you don't want to tackle--trust me. :D However, as I said previously, the "respin" should be out soon enough.

Shouldn't be a long wait at all.

Thank you so much. I will wait until the respin. I definitely do not want issues. :wink:

Robin
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi kmb, i'm glad you are joining the party as well;
yes, installing atm from the old iso is an almost broken task; can be done :lol: but is far from being the best welcome card :mrgreen:

the only way i found to go though the first big update (speaking as off this week) is do a dist-upgrade, which will break half-way though, apt-get -f install and then again dist-upgrade to finish it; only this way one can manage to have success at that moment;

So, yes, a respin, is really needed and hopefully won't be long;

Robin, if you don't feel like going though this, the updated iso should be soon available.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

zerozero wrote:hi kmb, i'm glad you are joining the party as well;
yes, installing atm from the old iso is an almost broken task; can be done :lol: but is far from being the best welcome card :mrgreen:

the only way i found to go though the first big update (speaking as off this week) is do a dist-upgrade, which will break half-way though, apt-get -f install and then again dist-upgrade to finish it; only this way one can manage to have success at that moment;

So, yes, a respin, is really needed and hopefully won't be long;

Robin, if you don't feel like going though this, the updated iso should be soon available.

That is exactly what I am going to do zero. I certainly don't want to bring on a headache. Lol :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”