We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wayne128

Re: We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Post by wayne128 »

well,,I find center mouse button works:

mouse over and highlight the code ( green appears),
click center button ( green highlight disappear),
move mouse pointer to terminal,
click center button ( code appears).
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

AlbertP wrote:You should be able to copy the info with normal Ctrl-C and then in terminal you can paste it with Ctrl-Shift-V.
No, that doesn't work here. It was one of the first things I tried.
wayne128 wrote:well,,I find center mouse button works:
Yup, that works too.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

wow :D 8) i just hope the new server can cope with all this enthusiasm :lol:

thanks everybody that already joined the party 8)
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

For pasting into the terminal I just use edit > paste works everytime for me. Just another method but without the shortcut keys.
Ctlr + V never worked for me.
Sam
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Are other mirrors going to mirror the new repos? I don't really want to pull in updates from overseas. :(
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Lol. I am pulling my updates (mint 11 Gnome, the Mint and Ubuntu repo's) from less than a mile distance and it's very fast.

If this system proves to be useful, mirrors in Europe might come into existence.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
hubi

Post by hubi »

I am very oldskool and upgrade SID or testing installations only outside a running X and a stopped KDM (I am KDE user).

My question is: how will be the expected behaviour of the MU-Debian (which runs in X as far as I understand) when xorg, mesa, dri or desktop environments are upgraded?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hubi,
MU-debian runs in x (and we had a few months ago an interesting chat here in the forum about upgrading with or without x running, i believe it's a matter of personal taste - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... mintupdate )
what you can do (if really feel the urge to upgrade outside x), is, after setting the repo to incoming or latest (your personal choice), do a dist-upgrade same way you are used to: the final result is the same;
Spec-chum

Post by Spec-chum »

I upgrade from sid, would I still be ok to test incoming?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Spec-chum, i'm afraid not :(
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Not sure if this is the right place to put this zero, when I updated I did have an issue with you tube showing the videos (they showed a black box only with no video), but this also happened on one of the other systems I updated without the MU but through the normal terminal way. (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade).
A quick fix for this I found was just to go to the software manager get the ffmpeg and install it, problem solved.
This happened on both a 32bit and a 64bit system.
Just in case someone else was having the same issue.
Sam
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Sam, thanks for reporting the issue and the solution 8)
hashstat

Post by hashstat »

So, after the latest update from Debian testing broke my nvidia drivers I decided to switch to the new incoming repository. After downgrading my nvidia drivers, I added the incoming repo to my sources.list. Not much to upgrade or report since I was staying on top of upgrades. So far, so good! And the update pack info is a great help.

Then I went on to fix my ugly gnome-terminal. I temporarily added the squeeze repo and downgraded gnome-terminal and gnome-terminal-data to 2.30.2-1. It's pretty again! :D

I want to give a big thanks to the Mint team, especially those working on LMDE. Ubuntu is becoming a big ugly monster and LMDE just feels so much better. I love the idea of a rolling distribution too, but the recent breakages that have been occurring are troubling. I'm glad the Mint team came up with the latest repo to keep things a bit more stable. It will be interesting as well to see if Debian implements the rolling repo they've been discussing.

Keep the wonderfulness coming.
elastic

Post by elastic »

Hey folks, I'm new to LMDE coming from Arch Linux (sidux before) - so I stick to the rolling release idea ;-) - I never liked the Ubuntu way so Mint was never on my list it just happens that I red a review two days before I broke my Arch-system last weekend (my own fault, not in case of an update ...) so I gave LMDE a try and really like it!

I didn'd have any troubles with the testing-repo so far but I like the idea of a bit more safety with the new Mint repos - I enabled icoming so I will report any strange behaviors - first updates trough mintupdate today, everthing keeps running smooth so far ...

Is there any step (testing, repacking, ...) between debian testing and the incoming repo and will all new debian packages find their way into incoming?
Spec-chum

Post by Spec-chum »

No worries, gives me an excuse to transfer to ssd, consider me in.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

I am on board too... -unfortunately, i did an upgrade yesterday, just before read the news, and thus, today, only 5 packages upgraded :oops:
gorfou

Post by gorfou »

Hi all!

While I'm becoming a guinea pig, I got a question:

What is the use of the "backport romeo" component?? Can I remove it? I find it a bit annoying to change my sources.list on a rolling release distro.
zerozero wrote:

Code: Select all

sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list
;)
and change your sources.list to

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import [b]backport romeo[/b]
 deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
 deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
 deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free

Happy LMDEing !
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi gorfou,
backport and romeo are empty but can be used tho: the first one is obvious i think, romeo is the development repo (where some mint tools may be placed say in a "beta" phase)
http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Debian
hopimet

Post by hopimet »

Well, yesterday I left a message on the blog to thank for mintupdate-debian and to propose help for the translation if needed (some users of the french forum have asked for).

My message has been deleted but I don't know why.

:(
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

hopimet wrote:Well, yesterday I left a message on the blog to thank for mintupdate-debian and to propose help for the translation if needed (some users of the french forum have asked for).

My message has been deleted but I don't know why.

:(
I don't know why your message was deleted but I would suggest you post about translation here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=43

Return to “LMDE Archive”