We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wyrdoak

Re: We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Post by wyrdoak »

Yep! I new I'd break something when I started, servers are still broke. :oops:

I had to re install grub to get back to Linux Mint 10 Julia. now it's ugly blue but it works. I only need to see it when I change back to LMDE.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

HI there,

Been getting more pi$$ed off with the direction and the instability of Ubuntu as a base system for a while now - meant I stuck with Mint 10 as my main system. I've played around a bit and even went as far as installing XFCE last week, but once I look at adding on all my extras I don't see much gain in a 'lighter' system, so I've been looking at LMDE and the new repos for a bit of a laugh.
The only real question I have, and I know that I can work around it when I have to... I saw something on one of the posts about a newer ISO image being available soon. Will this have a fix for the corrupt installer - whereby if you choose to NOT install grub from the installer, the fstab and grub config files end up with some old 'left-over' UUID information, rather than actually picking up the details from your system?
The reason I ask is that I tend to keep a system (at the moment Mint 10) running as my 'primary' Linux so that I always have one that I know will work if I need it to while I go about playing and learning on something else and for this reason I never let any other distro install its own grub.
Apart from that, looking forward to installing and joining the club.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Hi Simon,
will be great to have you aboard as well 8)
Clem just blogged today about the installer and the upcoming iso, so "new" news will arrive soon :lol:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1791
stoneguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stoneguy »

I'm another one awaiting the return of the new repo. Hey, no pressure. :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

atm i don't get any error with incoming

Code: Select all

Fetched 58.7 kB in 4s (12.5 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives libgl1-nvidia-glx nvidia-glx
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx xserver-xorg-core
3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 17.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 45.6 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Still getting:
Last Line:
Release file expired, ignoring http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/di ... ng/Release (invalid since 12h 12min 27s)

I would try the 32bit version if I thought it would make a difference.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Snap. Downloaded LMDE last night in preparation for installation and switch to incoming. Installed LMDE this morning (with GRUB), booted back into Mint 10 to get my BURG back as I wanted it, then fired up LMDE ready to run a comand-line upgrade first stage as recommended by ZeroZero because I've not had much exposure to Debian yet.

Unfortunately I'm getting ... invalid since 17h 52min 3s :( Oh well - have to monitor for an update.

Edit:-

As a thought on the back of this, and I don't know if it is possible, but would it be a good idea to have a 'System Status' for the Mint servers - a web page and possible RSS feed?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i'm not having this issue, so it's not easy to troubleshoot it, but by Clem's instructions if you do in the terminal

more /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80mintupdate-debian 
it should read

Acquire::Check-Valid-Until "false";
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Hi ZeroZero,

I just ran that command in my terminal and got;-
"/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80mintupdate-debian: No such file or directory"

I assume that I just need to create that file? My system is running a fresh LMDE201012 64-bit install, with nothing touched since install apart from the modifications to the repos under /etc/apt/sources.list

Edit;-

Created that file and now a 'sudo apt-get update' completes with no errors. Time to follow the 'dist-upgrade' path and see how it all goes :?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i'll be waiting to hear the results :)
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Not sure at the moment. I will now switch to using MU for the rest of it. Towards the end of the upgrade I got a whole load of;-
(gtk-update-icon-cache:16876): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory
And then right at the end;-
Can't locate File/Temp.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/DebianNet.pm line 18.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/DebianNet.pm line 18.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/update-inetd line 23.
dpkg: warning: subprocess old post-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
Can't locate File/Temp.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/DebianNet.pm line 18.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/samba_2%3a3.5.8~dfsg-5_amd64.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 2
configured to not write apport reports
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 2
Preparing to replace samba-common 2:3.5.6~dfsg-1 (using .../samba-common_2%3a3.5.8~dfsg-5_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement samba-common ...
Preparing to replace libacl1 2.2.49-4 (using .../libacl1_2.2.51-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libacl1 ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/samba_2%3a3.5.8~dfsg-5_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I assume that it has not completed the upgrade fully, but I just went through and selected the default option on the (I think) three occasions it asked me for any information.

Before I switch to upgrade the rest using MU, what do you reckon about what I've got there? Should I go back, reinstall the initial system and then redirect all the text output from the upgrade so that I can check it afterwards (I didn't think about this until it was too late)?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the first error i wouldn't care about it, the second, yes!
i assume you have done update && dist-upgrade,
try now please

sudo apt-get -f install
and then repeat the dist-upgrade; that should clear the errors
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Yeah, I ran a;-
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Unfortunately I had to boot back into my Mint 10 system to send a couple of e-mails. When I tried to go back into LMDE the whole system is fubar. I get the initial log-on screen, with the system name, but no user to select. No matter where I click, nothing happens. I have also tried to bring up a console instead <CTRL>+<ALT>+<F1> and just get a blank screen.

I'll have to reinstall again later and follow the same procedure. At least it's only about an hour to get to that stage, but I really hope there is an updated iso at some point to cut down on the amount of post-install downloading that is needed.

If the same things happens (which I'm sure it will) then I'll follow your advice and let you know how it goes again, but I won't be able to get around to it for a couple of hours.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

yeahh, at this moment the Gnome edition is broken if you try to install it from the existing isos
these posts give you an idea (in mine you can have a look in the logs if you are felling bored :lol: )
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p441746
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 15#p444001
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I didn't have the file ether, so just followed SimonTS lead, 40mbs of updates. yum!input!
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

OK, back from the 300+ updates in the Update Manager and have Chrome installed for my bookmarks.

Update Manager froze on my had to reboot and finish in the terminal using :

sudo dpkg --configure -a

I think it froze on something like a gdm3 update, if that makes sense. The Update window washed out so I couldn't see it all.

Now it's time to play.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

One happy mint-flavoured bunny here :mrgreen:

Installed LMDE 2010.12 from fresh, let it install GRUB and rebooted.
Modified my /etc/apt/sources.list and created /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80mintupdate-debian as per instructions.
Ran 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
As advised by ZeroZero, when it bombed out I ran 'sudo apt-get -f install' and then ran 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' again.
All seemed clean so I rebooted. Not only has it automatically installed my wireless card (the first time I have ever found a Debian-based distro to do that, but it has also set my graphics to the correct resolution and even upgraded the kernel to 2.6.39-2 for me.
I can honestly say that I am stunned - the wireless especially has always been one of my biggest bug-bears in Debian. Thank you Clem and all for the hard work you have put into this upgraded system - I will now have a serious play, but I reckon I have just had the decision about switch to Debian-based Mint made for me.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:lol: 8) well i see 2 happy guinea-pigs joining the party :lol:
jump in and have fun Simon and wyrdoak
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Maybe a stupid question, but I want to make sure that I am following the 'official' routine for this upgrade procedure. If I go to Package Manager I have a listing in there for "mint-meta-debian" package showing as not installed. Is this something that I should be installing, or is it an older version of what I have already done via the upgrades?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mint-meta-debian afaik was removed when you upgraded MU to MU-debian
As a tester

Install the package “mintupdate-debian”, which will replace “mintupdate”, “mint-meta-common” and “mint-meta-debian”.
In your /etc/apt/sources.list, replace “deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free” with “deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free”
Enjoy the new mintupdate-debian and report bugs and feedback as comments here on the blog.
Whenever you experience a package update breakage or a regression, notify the team using the following forum thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 19#p444219
Clem in the Blog

Return to “LMDE Archive”