UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
non-portable

Re: UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by non-portable »

Thanks zerozero,

I'm aware of the status of this. It looks like it will take until gnome shell 3.6-3.8 for it to catch up with ezoom.

Currently it's keyboard only stepped magnification, it follows the mouse pointer but doesn't have the sloppy push that works so well with ezoom. There are some dconf settings for changing the way it follows the mouse (org.gnome.a11y.magnifier.mouse-tracking). It is far worse than ezoom and limits the accessibility of gnome shell and cinnamon.

Ezoom is supposed to be finally getting text caret support - following the cursor as text is typed so you don't type off the screen. It's been promised since about 2004, whether gnome shell will gain that or not by 3.8 I'm not sure. In theory the wm just needs to know where the cursor is and whether the keyboard is being used without getting into the at-spi side of things.

It's cool, in many ways that with compiz, linux has had better magnification than OS-X and Windows (though there are commercial windows packages that exceed Compiz' abilities).
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by clem »

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the feedback you gave on this.

I noted a few people were disappointed by the quality of this Update Pack... well, this is Incoming, it's for testers only really... the idea is that YOU experience the bugs so that WE can fix it for EVERYBODY ELSE :)

As I'm writing this most of UP4 is done using incoming and romeo. There are still a few packages in the Mint repo which need updating (gtk engines, fonts etc..) and your feedback is helping a lot with that.

I'm hoping we'll open UP4 in a couple of days and move it to latest. ISO respins will follow. Thanks everybody for your help in testing this UP.

Return to “LMDE Archive”