UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nelili

Re: UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by nelili »

grizzler wrote:
nelili wrote:I updated to incoming and to update pack 4. Everything else works fine but my file ".bashrc" has disappeared. I no longer have any .bashrc now, except /etc/bash.bashrc, of course.
You mean the .bashrc file in your home directory? There never was one on my system.
You mean there was already no .bashrc before ? I guess it's too late to check. That would explain why there's no one now. But something has changed, anyway : before the upgrade, command prompts were colored (green for standard user or red for root prompt). After the upgrade, everything is white. I thought this was due to .bashrc but it must be something else.

I looked for .bashrc because I wanted to define a few aliases there. I guess I'll have to find another file to do this.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

nelili wrote:You mean there was already no .bashrc before ?
Quite possible. There wasn't on my system anyway.
I guess it's too late to check. That would explain why there's no one now. But something has changed, anyway : before the upgrade, command prompts were colored (green for standard user or red for root prompt). After the upgrade, everything is white. I thought this was due to .bashrc but it must be something else.
Just noticed that myself. Turns out it's /etc/bash.bashrc. This is missing the colour bits (I copied my entire installation to another partition before I updated, so I still have access to the pre UP4 state). Looks like you need to add this to /etc/bash.bashrc :

Code: Select all

use_color=false

# Set colorful PS1 only on colorful terminals.
# dircolors --print-database uses its own built-in database
# instead of using /etc/DIR_COLORS.  Try to use the external file
# first to take advantage of user additions.  Use internal bash
# globbing instead of external grep binary.
safe_term=${TERM//[^[:alnum:]]/?}   # sanitize TERM
match_lhs=""
[[ -f ~/.dir_colors   ]] && match_lhs="${match_lhs}$(<~/.dir_colors)"
[[ -f /etc/DIR_COLORS ]] && match_lhs="${match_lhs}$(</etc/DIR_COLORS)"
[[ -z ${match_lhs}    ]] \
        && type -P dircolors >/dev/null \
        && match_lhs=$(dircolors --print-database)
[[ $'\n'${match_lhs} == *$'\n'"TERM "${safe_term}* ]] && use_color=true

if ${use_color} ; then
        # Enable colors for ls, etc.  Prefer ~/.dir_colors #64489
        if type -P dircolors >/dev/null ; then
                if [[ -f ~/.dir_colors ]] ; then
                        eval $(dircolors -b ~/.dir_colors)
                elif [[ -f /etc/DIR_COLORS ]] ; then
                        eval $(dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS)
                fi
        fi

if [[ ${EUID} == 0 ]] ; then
                PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;31m\]\h\[\033[01;34m\] \W \$\[\033[00m\] '
        else
                PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\] '
        fi

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
        alias grep='grep --colour=auto'
else
                # show root@ when we don't have colors
                PS1='\u@\h \W \$ '
        else
                PS1='\u@\h \w \$ '
        fi
fi

# Try to keep environment pollution down, EPA loves us.
unset use_color safe_term match_lhs
That's instead of the single line in /etc/bash.bashrc that starts with PS1=

No guarantees this doesn't break anything else, though. They may have left it out for a reason. Then again, they may not... :wink:
I looked for .bashrc because I wanted to define a few aliases there. I guess I'll have to find another file to do this.
I did that in /etc/bash.bashrc on my original installation. Makes them available in a root terminal as well.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

ec2011

Post by ec2011 »

Keepass 2.18 and autotype
Two packages should be updated from Debian sid to UP4 in order to have "autotype" working with Keepass 2.18:
libxdo2_2.20110530.xxxx.deb
xdotool_2.20110530.xxxx.deb
(In UP4 and Debian wheezy, it is still the version of 20100701)
Last edited by ec2011 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ccerghe1

Post by ccerghe1 »

Honest Mistake wrote:... lost Software Manager. Trying to install it through synaptic gives me "Depends: python-aptdaemon but it is not going to be installed" error.
I've had exactly the same issues: Software Manager lost the ability to be reinstalled, several programs not using the XFCE desktop theme (so far the Document Viewer, GNOME Player), and the volme controls in XFCE is completely unproportional with the actual volume level.
But no response so far, from anyone. Clem - I hope you are taking notes, or you're already aware of all these issues.
nelili

Post by nelili »

grizzler wrote:
before the upgrade, command prompts were colored (green for standard user or red for root prompt). After the upgrade, everything is white. I thought this was due to .bashrc but it must be something else.
Just noticed that myself. Turns out it's /etc/bash.bashrc. This is missing the colour bits (I copied my entire installation to another partition before I updated, so I still have access to the pre UP4 state). Looks like you need to add this to /etc/bash.bashrc :

use_color=false

# Set colorful PS1 only on colorful terminals.
# dircolors --print-database uses its own built-in database
# instead of using /etc/DIR_COLORS.  Try to use the external file
# first to take advantage of user additions.  Use internal bash
# globbing instead of external grep binary.
safe_term=${TERM//[^[:alnum:]]/?}   # sanitize TERM
match_lhs=""
[[ -f ~/.dir_colors   ]] && match_lhs="${match_lhs}$(<~/.dir_colors)"
[[ -f /etc/DIR_COLORS ]] && match_lhs="${match_lhs}$(</etc/DIR_COLORS)"
[[ -z ${match_lhs}    ]] \
        && type -P dircolors >/dev/null \
        && match_lhs=$(dircolors --print-database)
[[ $'\n'${match_lhs} == *$'\n'"TERM "${safe_term}* ]] && use_color=true

if ${use_color} ; then
        # Enable colors for ls, etc.  Prefer ~/.dir_colors #64489
        if type -P dircolors >/dev/null ; then
                if [[ -f ~/.dir_colors ]] ; then
                        eval $(dircolors -b ~/.dir_colors)
                elif [[ -f /etc/DIR_COLORS ]] ; then
                        eval $(dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS)
                fi
        fi

PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;31m\]\h\[\033[01;34m\] \W \$\[\033[00m\] '
        else
                PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\] '
        fi

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
        alias grep='grep --colour=auto'
else
                # show root@ when we don't have colors
                PS1='\u@\h \W \$ '
        else
                PS1='\u@\h \w \$ '
        fi
fi

# Try to keep environment pollution down, EPA loves us.
unset use_color safe_term match_lhs
That's instead of the single line in /etc/bash.bashrc that starts with PS1=

No guarantees this doesn't break anything else, though. They may have left it out for a reason. Then again, they may not... :wink:
Thank you. Perhaps a developper could tell us if there was some good reason to modify bash.bashrc or if this is a mistake.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

nelili wrote:Thank you. Perhaps a developper could tell us if there was some good reason to modify bash.bashrc or if this is a mistake.
It's a bash update that hit debian testing in December. The installation prompts you to overwrite mint's customization. You should say no.

If you said yes, scroll up to my last post in this thread for the fix.
aaistom

Post by aaistom »

Hello everybody! I've been actively using LMDE for a year and i like everything in LXDE. A few days ago I installed UP4, i was pazzled. There was big difference between UP3 and UP4. At the beginning I didn't have Cinnamon or Mate. I didn't know how to work with Gnome3. I installed Cinnamon and it was quite good but I couldn't install Mate. About Cinnamon it works slow now and it's unstable(raw) but i think it will be good replacement for Mate when it will be completed. Anyway I'd like to say "Thanks to the Linux Mint community for its work"!
zen_monkey

Post by zen_monkey »

Gosh, had made a concise resume of what was happening after the upgrade and hiting the preview button asked me to relogin!!! :x this time i'll be brief.

So good news first, my wifi card (BCM4322) now reports signal strenght correctly (it wasn't working on UP3 neither on nm-applet nor iwlist) and seems more stable.
Function keys for volume (up,down,mute) now work!
Dropbox survived the upgrade without a hitch but i've installed it from their site not the repos so guess it adds it's own repo. Haven't confirmed the later.
Response times are normal on the interface altough i don't like all that animations :P

Now the glitches...
-Tap is still disabled on GDM, wouldn't it be expected to have it enabled by default? Thanks @Ronis_BR for the tip on how to re-enable.
-When clicking the install button to some package on mintinstall the button vanishes doing nothing.
-Missed the 3 buttons on the windows so re-enabled them with gnome-tweak-tool, took effect after reboot but some windows still miss the close button ie. the window that pops from pidgin's new mail yellow bar, if this is normal forget it.
-Some icon themes are incomplete. ie the special icons for desktop, documents, images and such.
-Switching windows themes on gnome-tweak-tool does nothing.
-GS picked an old wallpaper as the background for when it locks the screen, where do i change that?

-Why such big fonts? I've solved this by switching back font sizes from 11 to 10 and text scaling from 1,0 to 0,8 made it more pleasant but ended up with some ugly spacing on nautilus and terminal tabs. Not an issue, more a dislike, can this be trimmed to go with the fonts or something?

-Appearance dialog won't work, should it still be in the menu? launching results in...

-Gnome-tweak-tools could benefit from a wider window as text leaps under some buttons

- Pink selection if using Mint or Mint-x GTK+ themes

-Pidgin icon missing the right size?

-Selected area is a white square...

One last thing, during the install proccess i accidentally keeped the /etc/gnome/defaults.list file when prompted. Reinstalled gnome-session-common as it was the package installing at that moment but no offer to update the file happend. Could this cause damage in the future or am i fine keeping the old one?
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

zen_monkey wrote:-Why such big fonts? I've solved this by switching back font sizes from 11 to 10 and text scaling from 1,0 to 0,8 made it more pleasant but ended up with some ugly spacing on nautilus and terminal tabs. Not an issue, more a dislike, can this be trimmed to go with the fonts or something?
Maybe set scaling back to 1,0? I didn't like the large fonts either and used gnome-tweak-tool to change them to 8 (and 9 for the window titles) but left the scaling unchanged. Looks just like I had with Gnome2.
Hanz0

Post by Hanz0 »

Update from : LMDE U3 32 bits
Language of the system : French
Number of package : 1203
Time : arround 100 minutes
Brandwitch download : not full (3.5 Mb/s). Between 600 ko/s and 2.3 Mb/s

Installing :

- When update is finish, nothing happen like "System must be restarted"
- Logout screen not working. Must push start button to see it. All inside appear without normal language ... All letters are replaced by square.

After rebbot :

- Blue vertical lines for background
- No Cinnamon
- No Mint software manager
- Libreoffice 3.4.5 in english (system in french)
- Firefox 9.0.2
- No VLC (Totem)
- Installing Cinnamon by Sinaptic. Nothing change
- Gnome shell 3 desktop defaut
- Date and time in the middle of the top bar
- No bottom bar
- When I'm in "Activities" pannel, mintUpdate.py appear in the right bottom corner.
- Infos of update (U3, etc) are in english.

I hope that help.
ec2011

Post by ec2011 »

VLC and UP4:
After upgrading to UP4 and experiencing some bugs with version 1.1.13 (crash after opening a folder), I have upgraded VLC to version 2.0.0-0.1 from debian repository unstable.
Now I don't have crashes anymore.
Please upgrade VLC to version 2.0 in UP4.
ec2011

Post by ec2011 »

ec2011 wrote:AMD/ATI video card - fglrx driver problem My graphics card is a HD6770 1GB GDDR5 - silent version. [SOLVED]
After installing fglrx from UP4, I got an error at the end of boot saying that Gnome shell is executed in "restricted mode" and I am no more in Cinnamon environment. It's a kind of degraded Gnome 3 shell.
After complete uninstallation of fglrx packets, everything was back to normal.
I don't have time to investigate the issues with "fglrx " packets and risk also a complete failure of display, but it will be an issue for a lot of users that want to use 3D with AMD/ATI drivers.
It seems to have a first fix with the latest version of fglrx in wheezy and sid (version 1:12-1-2, in UP4 incoming repo it is only version 1:12-1-1): http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=660571
As there are still other bugs (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepor ... t=unstable ), I prefer not to risk a breakage of my LMDE installation...
But if some more experienced users are able to test the latest version of the different fglrx packages directly from debian and see if they can have fglrx working, it would be nice...
I have updated fglrx packets to wheezy version 1:12-1-2, xserver-xorg, xserver-xorg-input-all, xserver-xorg-video-all to wheezy version 1:7.6+12, and I could get fglrx working.
In order to activate AMD driver, it is necessary to type in a root terminal: aticonfig --initial (for more explanation, see - even you don't need to follow all the steps... http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary )
After rebooting, I am no more in fallback mode and all seems to be OK.
zen_monkey

Post by zen_monkey »

grizzler wrote:
zen_monkey wrote:-Why such big fonts? I've solved this by switching back font sizes from 11 to 10 and text scaling from 1,0 to 0,8 made it more pleasant but ended up with some ugly spacing on nautilus and terminal tabs. Not an issue, more a dislike, can this be trimmed to go with the fonts or something?
Maybe set scaling back to 1,0? I didn't like the large fonts either and used gnome-tweak-tool to change them to 8 (and 9 for the window titles) but left the scaling unchanged. Looks just like I had with Gnome2.
Tried that out but the black bar on top gets way too big for my liking. I'll try some more tweaks to see how it gets. :roll:
ec2011 wrote:VLC and UP4:
After upgrading to UP4 and experiencing some bugs with version 1.1.13 (crash after opening a folder), I have upgraded VLC to version 2.0.0-0.1 from debian repository unstable.
Now I don't have crashes anymore.
Please upgrade VLC to version 2.0 in UP4.
It would be really nice, count me in for VLC 2.0. Hope that's posible :idea:
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

SOC wrote:HI, All,

The critical problem for me is that I cannot set my bluetooth speaker as an output device of my sound setting. The speaker is paired with my computer and successfully connected, but it is not identified as an output device while I try to configure it.

I tried to reinstall pulseaudio-module-bluebooth again, but it doesn't help. Does anybody know how to correct the problem?

PS. I don't why I can't have the pulseaudio plugin in blueman clicked, no matter how many times I click it.
screenshot.png
I had this problem also and posted a solution in this thread. Anyhow, the problem is a bug in bluez-4.98-2. I went and got bluez-4.98-3 from Sid and my bluetooth speakers works again. I hope the Mint team make sure they ship the updated bluez package when UP4 is released.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

bluez 4.98-3 is in testing (no need to pull pkgs from sid, it's not very advisable to mix debian releases this way if you want to preserve your system stability)
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/bluez
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

zerozero wrote:bluez 4.98-3 is in testing (no need to pull pkgs from sid, it's not very advisable to mix debian releases this way if you want to preserve your system stability)
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/bluez
I've been around Linux for fifteen year, so I know it's not advisable but I found myself without music (horror!) and found that others had done the same thing without problems. In addition there were not no dependencies I needed to install, so I took my chances. But thank you for pointing out that it's good idea to stay clear of packages from the future. :)
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Using the update pack4. I know mint debian is highly experimental. Here's my problem.

In update pack3 my printer HP D2660 worked well with hplip-cups, however in update pack4 the printer has been remove.

Tried to install the printer on Debian (w/ printer connected of course). But I can not change the driver to cups as I get this pop-up error.

Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited.
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

I have had LMDE on my laptop for about 6 months, so thought I'd try UP4 yesterday should be ok, installed 941 packages then reset the repositories back and installed cinnamon.
Two things I noticed straight away.

1 - nothing going on with the desktop, no icons or folders showing, can't right click, got the default Gnome3 blue stripy wallpaper
2 - touchpad not working properly, I need side scrolling which was turned on but only working sporadically, removed all the hidden folders in my profile to get rid of old prefs but no change, reinstalled gpointing-devices but still borked, gave up

No 2 was a show stopper didn't get any further, couldn't be bother to reinstall LMDE back to how it was so now on Mint 12 Cinnamon which seems to be working fine.

I may try LMDE again at a later date when it's rolling again, seems pretty static at the moment.

system spec -
Asus X52F-SX329V
Mobo: Asustek K52F
CPU: Intel Core I3 370M 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB 1066MHz Hynix/Crucial
Chipset: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
Video: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Audio: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HD Audio
HDD: Seagate ST9320325AS 320GB
DVD-RW: LG DVDRAM GT32N
WiFi: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
TouchPad: ETPS/2 Elantech
Last edited by ginjabunny on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Oddly despite the pop-up box of error it still manages to print my test papers hahaha :oops:

Return to “LMDE Archive”