LMDE Incoming, No Mint Theme for Gnome Shell, Cinnamon OK

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
The Diamond Geezer

LMDE Incoming, No Mint Theme for Gnome Shell, Cinnamon OK

Post by The Diamond Geezer »

Hello,

My main rig is LMDE Latest (Gnome) running on an AMD X2 3800+, 2GB DDR2 RAM and an nVidia 6800 GS. No problem for this one.

However, I am also running LMDE (Gnome) Incoming as a VM in VirtualBox 4.1.10 and even after maxing the graphic memory to 128 MB and enabling 3D acceleration, Gnome would invariably boot to Fallback Mode. Cinnamon was ignored and all I got was Fallback Mode.

TO my delight, I finally managed to get it up and running after installing Guest Additions 4.1.10. Cinnamon is working great! However, although I can get the full Gnome Shell in "Gnome" mode, there is not a trace of Mint branding. The Advanced Settings ae nowhere to be found, the Mint Menu is installed, but it is not visible and I have no idea how to switch it on. Besides, no Mint theme is to be found in the Appearance menu, what am I doing wrong?

Once can also tell that something is not "right" because I can see the Gnome blue background with the vertical stripes (like Fedora 15) during login and the Gnome login menu is not branded "Linux Mint". The Linux Mint wallpapers are present though.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: LMDE Incoming, No Mint Theme for Gnome Shell, Cinnamon O

Post by zerozero »

i guess nothing is wrong :) what you are getting is the regular gnome-shell (without any mint tweaks or branding because none were added << at least for now)

i'm not certain if gnome-tweak-tool gets installed by default or not but you can easily apt-get it.

as for the mintmenu, there's not one for the shell; the "old" one is not compatible with gtk3 (that's why you can see it installed but that's about all) and the cinnamon menu doesn't run in gnome-shell.
The Diamond Geezer

OK thanks for your prompt reply zerozero :) I guess I was expecting to see a Linux 12 theme. So this LMDE Shell iteration looks still a bit rough around the edges, but good enough with Cinnamon :D

Oh and gnome-tweak-tool is not installed by default, I did apt-get it.

The only gripe I have currently is the double entries in the Cinnamon menu coming from MATE equivalents, like "gThumb" and "Image Viewer", "Printers" and "Printing", etc...While they should be easily done away with, I have to intention to use MATE in the near future, so I find it somewhat frustrating that some MATE comonents be installed within a vanilla Cinnamon Mint (what a cocktail :mrgreen: )

Can't wait for the future :D
zerozero wrote:i guess nothing is wrong :) what you are getting is the regular gnome-shell (without any mint tweaks or branding because none were added << at least for now)

i'm not certain if gnome-tweak-tool gets installed by default or not but you can easily apt-get it.

as for the mintmenu, there's not one for the shell; the "old" one is not compatible with gtk3 (that's why you can see it installed but that's about all) and the cinnamon menu doesn't run in gnome-shell.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

eventually (who knows?) we'll see some minty-love towards the shell (we can only wait) but the main focus is cinnamon and/or mate.

as for the double entries (yes they are annoying :lol: ) you can edit the menu we have now a fully functional alacarte fork)
By right-clicking the menu and selecting “Edit menu” you can launch a brand new menu editor. “Alacarte” was made compatible with Cinnamon and got fully integrated with the desktop. Using this embedded menu editor you can fine-tune how applications and categories are shown within the menu.
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=182
The Diamond Geezer

Hehe that's nice, thanks :D Although the "Preferences" and "Administration" submenus does not appear in this forked Alacarte (yet), it's a great feature :)
zerozero wrote:eventually (who knows?) we'll see some minty-love towards the shell (we can only wait) but the main focus is cinnamon and/or mate.

as for the double entries (yes they are annoying :lol: ) you can edit the menu we have now a fully functional alacarte fork)
By right-clicking the menu and selecting “Edit menu” you can launch a brand new menu editor. “Alacarte” was made compatible with Cinnamon and got fully integrated with the desktop. Using this embedded menu editor you can fine-tune how applications and categories are shown within the menu.
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=182

Return to “LMDE Archive”