Problems with 201204 cinnamon/mate disto

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Problems with 201204 cinnamon/mate disto

Post by malligt »

I cannot get it to load as a live usb on my dell laptop (even when it is ethernet connected).
The initial boot stops at something called bw-43, and the tells me to go to some website.
I have tried disabling the wireless on this laptop, and then restarting the live usb from the beginning. I still get the same results.
If I'm ethernet connected, shouldn't the live usb work (like it does with mint 12)?
How do I run lmde as a live usb device when this keeps happening, then how to install it and/or please tell me how to proceed here? Thank you.

LMDE 201204 32 bit
Dell laptop Inspiron B 120 (from 2006).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Anja Noir

Re: Problems with 201204 cinnamon/mate disto

Post by Anja Noir »

I had the same issue you describe (with ArchBang, Aptosid distros) but not
with this LMDE version.

Adding this to the boot option got me passed this hang with the above mentioned
distros - maybe it would work in your case here.... b43.blacklist=yes

~Anja
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

It sounds like it is detecting the Broadcom wifi card in the laptop but the driver/firmware is not installed by default? I just checked via Synaptic and the BCM43xx driver is not installed by default. I know, because a search for package, b43-fwcutter (the firmware for b43 Broadcom cards) is not installed.

That is probably your problem.

It would be best if you could use a wired connection to do your install but if you can't, you need to blacklist or bypass the wifi check and although you won't have internet at first, you can still install the firrmware by having it on a usb stick.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Wirele ... -Solutions

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-find ... r-chipset/
kseise

Post by kseise »

Can you post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci -v
The command should list the hardware and the driver in use. I have a Dell Mini 10v with one of the Broadcom 4312 chips in it. I had to jump through some hoops to get the driver installed. It was a major pain in the butt to get it configured, but I will help you through it if you have one. The problem is that there is an upstream bug in the broadcom driver package in Debian Testing and no fix had been issued as of about a month ago. A work around was posted somewhere and I will dig it up if you want.
breaker

Post by breaker »

You modify the linux line at boot, add it somewhere near the end, you might have to tap shift at boot on an installed system.

Return to “LMDE Archive”