How to change default desktop enviroment ? SOLVED

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

How to change default desktop enviroment ? SOLVED

Post by scottjge »

There is no fix, it is a bug in VNC. If anyone is interested........https://launchpad.net/gtkvncviewer

I have installed LMDE 201204 without incident or any problems per se. The only thing that I can see that isn't right is the default desktop environment changes with each new boot. Let me explain................... when I log in with a password and choose "MATE" as a desktop from login prompt, everything works as expected. If I re-boot and leave the login prompt on last session, everything goes great but gtkvncviewer will no longer work. If I re-boot or logout again and choose "MATE", when the desktop comes up, gtkvncviewer will work again until I re-boot. It acts like MATE isn't being retained as the default environment

What do I have to do to change it so every-time I start the computer, it will boot to the Mate environment? I have gone to the control center > login window> General tab > and change the "default session" to Mate but that did not do the trick either.

Any idea's or suggestions would be appreciated.

Scotty
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to change default desktop enviroment ?

Post by scottjge »

[b]UPDATE[/b]

I have an update to my problem. I just discovered that gtkvncviewer stops working even if don't reboot. So now I don't know what to look for or what to search for. The only thing that I know for sure is that when gtkvncviewer stops working, all I have to do is logout, choose MATE and log in, everything works again. I don't how long a time it is before it stops working again, I will have to time it and see what the time line is. I don't know if that will help me out any to know that or not.

Now I am really confused. Has anyone had any similar problems with other software with LMDE MATE ?

Return to “LMDE Archive”